The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:09:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silvered wire for inductors?  (Read 5278 times)
Edward Cain
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:31:53 AM »

I have a Johnson Matchbox (275 W version) minus the inductor and I'm thinking of winding a coil myself.
   My question is what type of wire will I need? Silvered? Tinned? Bare?

Any recommendations?

Ed
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:48:23 AM »

Tinned or bare copper is fine, silver is strictly for looks at anything below UHF.

Carl
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »

The EF Johnson edge-wound coil in my 80m tuner looked like it was nickel plated, not silver, when I first installed it.  After 30 years in the outdoor air and condensation (even though it was protected from direct exposure to the elements by the old Dawg House), every trace of the plating is now gone. All that remains is bare brownish copper. Silver usually turns black, but supposedly the oxide is just as good a conductor as bright silver.  I agree with Carl that there would unlikely be any detectable difference between bare copper and any kind of plating at MF/HF.

The 160m tuner coil came out of an old broadcast transmitter.  It is silver plated, but coated with some kind of clear lacquer, and other than dirt accumulation,  looks the same as it did the day I put it in. The enamel insulation on "magnet" wire also protects the copper from oxidation.

That would be a good experiment to try if anyone happens to have two identical coils, one plated and one not: swap them out to see if there is any perceptible difference.   I would bet on none.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 04:36:19 PM »

The black junk on silver is NOT silver oxide but rather silver sulfide which is not a conductor.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »

Perhaps you should spray a bit of Clear Coat or something over the coils once they are set up (tapped correctly and soldered).

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:39:47 AM »

The black junk on silver is NOT silver oxide but rather silver sulfide which is not a conductor.

I'm not a chemistry expert, but, if the silver turned black from being in the air where there is oxygen, where did the sulfur come from to make the black deposit silver sulfide?  Maybe salty air??

What's the answer?

Fred
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 07:39:50 AM »

I'm not a chemistry expert, but, if the silver turned black from being in the air where there is oxygen, where did the sulfur come from to make the black deposit silver sulfide?  Maybe salty air??

What's the answer?

Fred

Hydrogen Sulfide in the atmosphere.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:36:39 AM »

http://www.blitzinc.net/category/info.how_why_silver_tarnishes/

I wonder if it's a non-conductor or a poor conductor.  If it is a non-conductor, it would be like any other insulation and have no noticeable effect on the  coil. Maybe that's why I have often heard it said that the black stuff conducts just as well as bright silver.  But if it is a poor conductor, because of the skin effect it would reduce the Q of the coil.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:51:52 PM »

There was a good thread over on the Amps reflector about a month or less ago on this subject and several professional papers and citations were listed.

Check the archives for the full discussion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015