The AM Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:56:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There's Hope...  (Read 1919 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: October 07, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »

I spent a very enjoyable evening in the shack with one of my sons 16 yr old friends.  It started with a question about how to wire up LED's (and yea, any kid who addresses me a Mr. is already gotten a lot of points).  I found out that he was making modifications to his X-box, basically pimping it up, and that this is a common pass time with some of the younger set. In my day I took apart radios, clocks, and such.  I guess kids still do that, just with different things.

We'll after a brief explanation about Ohms Law, Parallel vs series circuits and a trip to the Radio Shack down the road (this one still has bins of parts like resistors, caps, some IC's etc).  We proceed to melt solder and wire up the LED's and a series resistor. He used some of my tools to cut a pattern in the case and we got it back together.  He wants to refinish it in gloss black and clear coat (no I didn't suggest wrinkle finish Smiley ).
Of course I had the station powered up, showed him the station equipment and such.
We listened in to some QSO's while we worked, while he tinkered I dialed in some SWBC and a listened to a few CW QSO's as well. 

I don't know if he found the Radio's stuff as interesting, but maybe, just maybe...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:01:47 AM »

They still exist.  I try to help anyone no matter the age. I got a few guys on the air so far. One was on the air and got interested in AM.  Good job with helping the kid. Bet you feel good.

C
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 09:36:28 AM »

Definitely shocking ED!!!
Gently encourage more visits coz what we do with radio is pretty interesting and it takes away from the easyness of the internet. More use of the mind instead of keystrokes.
My brother-in-law even got a little interest while we were sweating and tuned around 40M, during our long stay in the Philippines.

Respect?Huh I forgot what that was about until we spent our Summer in the Philippines. The kids there take your right hand and put it to their forehead to show respect to older folks.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015