The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:05:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rack Options  (Read 8753 times)
W7SOE
Contributing

« on: September 27, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »

No luck so far finding a 3-4 foot bud type rack for my 813X813 Tx.

I found this on Fleabay:

http://tinyurl.com/2en3jaq

Opinions?

Rich
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »

It says that they "are slotted thru and thru" for easy assembly....I wonder how stable they are after assembly....Prolly good enuf after a few rack panels get bolted in......
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:14:58 PM »

You might try looking up Middle Atlantic.  They make every possible kind of rack, have dealers all over the country, and good prices.  Made in the USA, too.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:57:07 PM »

Find yee an electronics recycler in your area - they often have the "debris" of server tear outs, and sometimes older "mainframe" computers which can include racks of all types and sizes...

Also Bud, Par Metal (?) and one other of the main-line cabinet/rack shops (Bronx outfit, name escapes me at the moment) will sell you just the threaded angle (or similar) part of the rack... sometimes that and some square stock/rectangular tubing from the metal supplier and a welder gets ya where ya needz to be?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 11:04:12 PM »

Search the ham fests and post a wanted here if you have not already.  The best way is just what was suggested. Find a computer recycler in your area and you will have your pick of all types of racks.

C
KA2DZT

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 01:27:15 AM »

Rich,

Keep looking for a Bud cabinet.  You need a lot of space for 4 813's,  unless you are going to outboard the power supply.

A modern rack is nice but not period to a vintage style AM rig.

Somewhere in your area someone has some racks that they are hoping to give away to someone (to make room) for little or nothing.

Like me, I have one that is in my machine shop.  The damn thing is in my way and I wish I could get it out.  I have others in my basement where all the electronic and radio stuff is.  Some of those are also in my way.

Save money and find a used one.  They're around.

Fred
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 01:56:51 AM »

They are also easy to ship.  You can wrap them in thick packing foam and UPS will take them like that with no box. I have shipped them around the country that way.

C
KC9LKE

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »

Opinions?.....Plenty here! Grin

Rich:

Some of My usual random thoughts…

Just went over this same thing at home two weeks ago. I have a pristine 3’ industrial rack cabinet on casters, not a scratch on it, 24” deep. I was really trying hard to justify using it. I just can’t fit everything in.

I came to the realization that I should not cheat myself and really need a taller cabinet.

IIRC, for the 813’s x 813’s I came up with 12” each for the RF, and Mod decks. If you recess the tubes I think you can do 10” each. Then a 5” meter panel, a small 3 1/2” rack mount scope, exciter, panel for the power supply, room for power supply and mod iron, room for good air flow etc….YMMV.

I believe you intend to use a smaller mod transformer to start, but in the future??

You could put some of the iron on their respective chassis if the cabinet is deep enough. I just planned on putting it all toward the bottom.

I know the A/V cabinets are tempting, but I wonder what gauge of material they are using. They are typically for lighter sold state stuff and may be a disappointment. You are building a 250lb++ transmitter!

I can only offer that I too am looking for a cabinet, if run across something cheap and shippable I’ll let you know.

Put the word out and don’t marry the first one that comes along.  Grin

Best Regards
Ted / KC9LKE   
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »

I was also looking for a rack cabinet....however, I decided that I needed the 6' variety since I'm building a pr of 6C21s (big bottles) mod by a pr of 304TLs. I'm using broadcast iron for audio and a "dry" pole pig for B+, so I needed plenty of space.  I found that a good source for nice rack cabinets is old 2-way FM base station cabinets.  I found a couple locally from a guy who is in that business.  He is willing to give them away, but will probably give him something for them anyway.  Old Motorola and GE cabinets work really nice...doors on both front and back and even meter panels, if needed.  Check out your local 2-way dealer...may even have some shorter cabinets.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 12:56:21 PM »

"  He is willing to give them away, but will probably give him something for them anyway. "

A botel 'o vodka is always a nice gift... if the recvr doesn't drink, it can be  'regifted' to a more suitable envyronment.

klc

What? Me worry?
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »

Rich,

Keep looking for a Bud cabinet.  You need a lot of space for 4 813's,  unless you are going to outboard the power supply.

A modern rack is nice but not period to a vintage style AM rig.

Somewhere in you area someone has some racks that they are hoping to give away to someone (to make room) for little or nothing.

Like me, I have one that is in my machine shop.  The damn thing is in my way and I wish I could get it out.  I have others in my basement where all the electronic and radio stuff is.  Some of those are also in my way.

Save money and find a used one.  They're around.

Fred

OK Guys thanks for the help.  I will be more patient and keep looking for the Bud type.  I am also leaning away from the shorter versions, four feet gives me a little more elbow room.

One just sold on Fleabay for $200 including shipping, I shoulda grabbed it......

Rich
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 06:30:19 PM »

Rich,
If you can't get a Bud rack get some 3/4" plywood and some rack rails you can built a real nice rack.  Paint it the color of you choice and you would be all set.  You can buy some real nice rack rails already drilled and tapped from Broadcast Supply Worldwide (BSW).  To get everything to fit right, put some panels on the rack rails and that would give you the proper spacing for your sides.  Put some nice casters on the bottom and you will be all set.  The nice thing about wood is that you could easily add some shelves to support the various chassis in your new HB project.  That sure works better than hanging heavy items off a rack panel plus its a lot easier to get the chassis out when you need to work on them.  To tie the chassis together use some good braid to go from unit to unit.     
Regards,
Joe   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KL7OF

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »

Rich ...This might give you an idea of how much rack is required...This is a shot of my Tesla 360....Top deck is 2x813 class c plug in coil with filament trans and 6L6 clamptube and tuned input circuit....Second deck is 2x813 triode connected modulators with 500 watt mod trans and bcig mod reactor and 2 mfd oil cap and fil trans...third deck from top is RF driver-VFO unit.....802 oscillator, 807 driver, and associated power supply....fourth unit is the Speech amp audio driver.  4 tubes with PP 6L6s in the output.. The speech amp power supply and output transformer are on this deck as well...The bottom of the rack contains the HV supply which has a large 1 amp 3KV trans and a swinging choke and a smoothing choke as well as two 8 MFD oil caps...The relays are also on the bottom....Note the 4x K2AW diodes mounted in a pc of Alum channel on top of the hv transformer...This is a 6 ft rack and it is full.......

* DSCF0837.JPG (588.2 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 552 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 08:20:43 AM »

Nice rack construction Steve!  It looks like a pair of 250th's or tl's in the rack to left of your 813 rig.  Great looking gear.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

KL7OF

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 10:35:20 AM »

Nice rack construction Steve!  It looks like a pair of 250th's or tl's in the rack to left of your 813 rig.  Great looking gear.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS
250th's mod by 813's 2x807RF driver....2x6b4g audio driver ,mod iron from collins 20v,plate iron from a BC transmitter....That 6 ft rack is full as well..
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »

Sorry for straying from the original post but it looks like a nice B&W HDVL coil along with a B&W butterfly condenser as well.   
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »

Dont forget that if height becomes an issue, you can mount 813s on their sides. It's one of the few big power tubes that you can. (spring loaded filaments)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KL7OF

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »

I don't think we are straying too far off the subject since this is about rack cabinets and how much stuff you can get in them...This PP 250th rig has the RF driver and the audio driver sitting on top of the rack cabinet...That Gray Mod tx is mounted on the sidewall and the mod reactor (black) is mounted on the opposite sidewall..You can't do that with a cheap rack made of thin steel!  There is still some room on the floor of the rig next  to the HV tranny and caps..This particular rig,originally built in the 40's, has been worked over several times ...If I was to get some ambition, I bet I could reconfigure and rewire this rig and get all of it inside the 6 ft rack..But it prolly ain't gonna happen..The rig is working just fine the way it is...

* DSCF0123.JPG (459.54 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 512 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »

Steve,
That is a great Old Buzzard rig.  If its working fine leave it alone!  I noticed you have the B&W Faraday shielded link.  Tom, W3EOZ who worked for B&W gave me one for my first HB big rig back when I was 16.  Jack Williamson would be proud to see that stuff still in use!  Jack, W3GC was a good friend and we all miss him. 
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS 

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »

I'll give you a 6 footer, but it's in Massachusetts  Roll Eyes  It's knocked down, so somewhat smaller than it would otherwise be.  Someone gave it to me, and I have so many racks I don't need another (at least of that size).  I always need table racks  Wink

Hamfests are good sources, along with the already-mentioned computer recyclers.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015