The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:55:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K1JJ Maul PTT Scheme  (Read 12351 times)
W7SOE
Contributing

« on: September 23, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »

The schematic shows the CT of the modulator and final filament transformers being switched by a DPDT relay.  In the transmit position they are connected to ground, in standby they are connected to ground through a 50k resistor.

I am not familiar with this scheme, how does it work?

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/813/813.htm

Rich
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:40:07 PM »

Quite well!
I use the same setup on a 4-400 and a single 813.

Now, the theory? I think the cathode is now far enough above ground to stop the flow of RF. (Biased "off")

Someone chime in please and correct me if I am wrong.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:52:59 PM »

I was wondering about the pros/cons of this method too. Wouldn't you need to use an HV relay in this application?

-Tim
KA2DZT

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »

Quite well!
I use the same setup on a 4-400 and a single 813.

Now, the theory? I think the cathode is now far enough above ground to stop the flow of RF. (Biased "off")

Someone chime in please and correct me if I am wrong.

Bill KA8WTK

You're right,  I've seen that setup that JJ uses,  the tubes are biased off.  

The only thing that may become a problem is the no load condition on the HV plate supply.  The high voltage may rise above the voltage ratings of the filter caps.  Just something to keep in mind.

Fred
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:10:23 PM »

Yep, this is a very common method used in many commercial and amateur linear amplifiers. I've used it exclusively on all my rigs, class C plate modulated or linear for 40 years now. (Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

When unkeyed, the 50K resistor drops a voltage across it and this produces a positive bias on the cathode. This acts as a negative bias relative to the grid and cuts the tube off.

You can use virtually any 1A or more relay there. There is not much voltage there when keyed or unkeyed. I sometimes put a 0.1 ufd non-polarized capacitor across the resistor to help absorb the spark on the relay contacts and also reduce keying transients.  It will not be an issue with a small rig, but on big mauls everything gets magnified.

I like this method for its simplicity. Plus I see it used everywhere in the handbooks for big linears, so that makes me feel good.

BTW, the 50K resistor is not critical at all. I've used anywhere from 30K to 100K as long as the tube gets cut off. The only problem I've seen is when I built a TPTG Hartley transmitter. It required about 200K to cut it off completely. But most rigs will be FB at 50K.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:18:36 PM »

Bill,
   Biased off, that makes sense.  I think a normal relay is ok as it is one the ground side.
Rich
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »

'68 or '69 was the first time I used this method. You want the antenna relay closed before you bias the tubes on and you want the antenna relay to open after the power control turns off. Reason you want a load on the rig before you key the power and you want the antenna relay lag to open so all energy is dissipated before the antenna goes to RX. This avoids big sparks.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »

'68 or '69 was the first time I used this method. You want the antenna relay closed before you bias the tubes on and you want the antenna relay to open after the power control turns off. Reason you want a load on the rig before you key the power and you want the antenna relay lag to open so all energy is dissipated before the antenna goes to RX. This avoids big sparks.

Yep, sequencing a BIG rig is important as we both have found, Frank... Wink

Jay/ W1VD makes a very nice solid state sequencer that will handle four different relays. I used one on my class e-rig and it worked FB.     The 4-1000A plate modulated rig took some more work to tame the arcs across the mod iron gaps. As you said, Frank, it was all a matter of dumping the power into the antenna during unkey and then having an antenna load present during key up.  Adding some C across the cathode keying resistor helped the problem too. Getting a big plate modulated rig to key and unkey cleanly without mod xfmr or Heising reactor sparks takes some time to achieve, but is worth it. There is big risk having unquenched sparks across the iron.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 08:50:04 PM »

Oh man, I was right for a change!

Bill KA8WTK
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:46:51 PM »

Reminds me of the concern I often see expressed regarding cathode keying of a final for CW. Some are fearful of the "full plate voltage" across the key contacts in key-up position. But when the cathode circuit is broken, the voltage rises only to the cut-off bias voltage of the tube.  When you place your hand across the key, your skin serves as the cathode resistor. The voltage you feel is exactly  the same as the grid bias voltage on the tube, which limits the plate current.  You might get a little sting off the key, but you are feeling a minuscule current and nothing lethal, except perhaps in the unlikely event that the tube develops a plate-to-cathode short.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »

You might get a little sting off the key, but you are feeling a minuscule current and nothing lethal, except perhaps in the unlikely event that the tube develops a plate-to-cathode short.

Then licking the key is ok?  ;-)

Rich
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »

Only if you're into that sort of thing. 

You might get a little sting off the key, but you are feeling a minuscule current and nothing lethal, except perhaps in the unlikely event that the tube develops a plate-to-cathode short.

Then licking the key is ok?  ;-)

Rich
PA4WM

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 09:57:50 AM »

Yesterday I mailed Tom, K1JJ a question about his PTT scheme and the 50K resistor. Tom answered swiftly and explained the resistor is nothing more than a cathode bias, cutting the 813 off.

Today I red through a lot of technical postings here (New on the forum... Wink) and noticed a topic allready covering the question I had.

But another one came up, and instead of mailing Tom again, I thought it would be better to continue the topic, so everyone can benefit from a possible answer...

I'm in the planning phase of a single class C plate/screen modulated 813. Since I was looking for a safe way to switch (PTT) the transmitter, I looked at different schemes on the internet, and that's how I came to mail K1JJ.

I'm planning to use a dropping resistor to supply the partly modulated screen.
In my opinion that would mean, that if the cathode bias is switched on and the tube is cut off, the voltage on the screen will rise to B+ level since there is no screen current to provide a voltage drop.....

Is this OK for the 813, or does it mean the mentioned PTT scheme can only be used with a fixed screen supply?

Martin, PA4WM

PA4WM / WM2J
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »

I'm planning to use a dropping resistor to supply the partly modulated screen.
In my opinion that would mean, that if the cathode bias is switched on and the tube is cut off, the voltage on the screen will rise to B+ level since there is no screen current to provide a voltage drop.....

Is this OK for the 813, or does it mean the mentioned PTT scheme can only be used with a fixed screen supply?

Nice to meet you again, Martin.

Your question is very observant and one I've not really considered. All of my plate modulated rigs have used a separate low voltage screen supply because when using a high voltage supply (like 2-3KV) with a dropping resistor,  the wasted screen resistor power can get into the hundreds of watts, depending on the rig.  For example, with a 4-1000A, it is ridiculous waste of power.

That said, you are concerned that putting say, 2KV on the screen (unkeyed) may cause the screen to flash over to the grid, filament, etc.  That is a possible problem and I will leave it up to the guys here to discuss it for an 813 tube. My guess is it will be OK and has probably been done already - I've never heard  any warnings so far.  But lets leave it open to debate.

The other alternative is to  key both the cathode and also the HV supply.  I have done that, mostly to save on HV bleeder power waste.

The cathode PTT keying circuit is used in many modern linears and all of my HB AM rigs, so is a proven method, otherwise.

T

KC2ZFA

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »

One related question for anyone out there who has used the cathode-resistor cutoff with 811s or 812s:

what value did you use ?

tnx, Peter
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »

I once saw a guy who built a 4CX5000 with 6 kv on the plate, a little over 1k on the screen and I don't remember the control grid potential.

It used the lift the center tap method of keying and has been in service for 10 years.

FWIW.
PA4WM

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 01:45:13 PM »

That said, you are concerned that putting say, 2KV on the screen (unkeyed) may cause the screen to flash over to the grid, filament, etc.  That is a possible problem and I will leave it up to the guys here to discuss it for an 813 tube. My guess is it will be OK and has probably been done already - I've never heard  any warnings so far.  But lets leave it open to debate.

T

In that respect it's worth mentioning that I plan to run the 813 on only 1500v. That means the screen voltage will rise to the same when the cathode is biased....
The question is still open.. Wink

PA4WM / WM2J
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »

Martin,

My guess is 1500V will be fine on the screen when unkeyed.

I wonder if there is data published for the breakdown voltage from the screen to grid/fil of an 813?  They sometimes list it for fil to cathode on indirectly heated tubes.

Peter,

The value of cathode resistor is not critical, as long as it cuts off the tube currents during unkey. (Plate, grid and screen currents)   I have used anywhere from 30K to 100K in various rigs. Makes little difference. I've not tried the 812/811 with it, but should be just fine.

Dave: If I'm reading you right, that's a 4X5 with 6KV on the plate and 1KV FIXED on the screen?  Was this a linear with fixed 1KV on the screen or class C rig with a screen dropping resistor?    Martin was concerned about having his class C final screen voltage soar to full HV potential when the cathode was unkeyed when the screen had no I*R voltage drop across the screen resistor.

T

WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 08:32:50 AM »

You could add a string of power Zeners to limit the screen to a peak voltage......or just shut down the screen supply in RX.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 08:49:37 AM »

Duh. Never mind it was a regulated supply.

Martin,

My guess is 1500V will be fine on the screen when unkeyed.

I wonder if there is data published for the breakdown voltage from the screen to grid/fil of an 813?  They sometimes list it for fil to cathode on indirectly heated tubes.

Peter,

The value of cathode resistor is not critical, as long as it cuts off the tube currents during unkey. (Plate, grid and screen currents)   I have used anywhere from 30K to 100K in various rigs. Makes little difference. I've not tried the 812/811 with it, but should be just fine.

Dave: If I'm reading you right, that's a 4X5 with 6KV on the plate and 1KV FIXED on the screen?  Was this a linear with fixed 1KV on the screen or class C rig with a screen dropping resistor?    Martin was concerned about having his class C final screen voltage soar to full HV potential when the cathode was unkeyed when the screen had no I/R voltage drop across the screen resistor.

T
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »

Or........................

If you are running any fixed biass on the tube. (you have a biass supply) Simply open up the ground connection on the biass supply bleeded / voltage divider resistor
and let the biass rize up and cut the tube off.

Or if you are using a leaky grid for biass, just make a simple biass supply and use a couple of steering diodes. Switch in the biass to cut the tube off in standby mode.

Ur basic grid-block circuit. Grid blocking saves a lot of beating up on ur plate iron, rectumfryers and filter capz by not constantly firing on and off the HV.

Just my $.02 worth.....................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 08:21:09 PM »

I suspect that letting the screen float at many times its spec is asking for a screen to grid arc. Using the series screen resistor as half of a voltage divider with another to ground at the socket is one way to limit the soaring as well as eliminating negative screen current during tuning. This can happen especially with the small ceramic tetrodes.

For big tetrodes I use a seperate screen supply and open either the CT or the ground of the FWB and use another set of contacts on the same relay to apply at least 2X cut-off bias to the tubes using either a 47K resistor or with a bias supply scheme.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 09:37:47 PM »

I suspect that letting the screen float at many times its spec is asking for a screen to grid arc. Using the series screen resistor as half of a voltage divider with another to ground at the socket is one way to limit the soaring as well as eliminating negative screen current during tuning. This can happen especially with the small ceramic tetrodes.

Excellent suggestion, Carl!

There ya go, Martin. Add another power resistor to ground from the screen and the voltage will not soar.  The downside is it will add some power waste even when the rig is unkeyed, unless you add a HV screen relay in there.

Personally, I would go with a separate small screen supply and modulating series screen choke - with the supply controlled with a variac.  You will find that when you load the final at different levels, the screen current will change. Having the ability to change the screen voltage via a Variac wil enable you to set the screen current to spec no matter how the final is loaded, heavily or lightly.  I use this method on all of my class C plate modulated rigs.  It saves power in the end, too.

T

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 11:59:12 PM »

FWIW, on my 4X1 transmitter, I run a very heavy fixed grid biass. (-150v IIRC) and drive the hell out of it. For the PTT scheem, I switch the screen voltage on and off.
With the heavy class C biass, when you shut the screen voltage off and kill the RF drive to the grid, the tube cuts off dead, no measurable Ip at all.

Been running that way for over 10 years now with no problems at all.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KE6DF

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »

Another method would use thyratron switching.

Has anyone tried something like this:

http://n4trb.com/AmateurRadio/GE_HamNews/issues/GE%20Ham%20News%20Vol%2001%20No%202.pdf

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015