The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:55:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: harder to move than a truck with flat tires  (Read 13586 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 04:52:42 PM »

Unfortunately, that thing is easy to tip forward since it is thin and top heavy. So I may even have outrigger casters that provide some stability. Would hate to be rolling it, hit a crack in the floor and have it fall on top of me!

Yep, I know just what you mean. It has a bit of a pedestal under it allowing access for conduit, ventilation and so on, which gives it a slightly smaller footprint than the overall dimensions. Tends to make it a bit tippy, to say the least. The 300G is the same way, though doesn't look to be quite as narrow as your RCA. When I moved it across the gravel driveway over plywood, I could hear the sheets cracking and wondered if it would end up stranded there or break through and tip over. Fortunately I got it across okay by myself, no way I could've even begun to move it without the casters.

BTW, I used 6 to spread the weight better. Moved it south with all the iron in place thanks to a bucket loader on that end and a lift gate truck. In your case, a base dolly with the casters outrigged as you say would be the way to go. That would widen the footprint at least a bit.

* Driveway3.JPG (454.13 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 322 times.)

* Driveway4.JPG (358.77 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 379 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 07:52:28 PM »

Santa Fe or Taos were probably about as close as I got to your location. One of these times we gotta hook up. TNX for the antenna info. I will contact you.

Steve
I moved it Saturday. Sorry, missed you.

BTW, I have a scanned article for the AM Window technical information, a Carl Smith paper on the use of short vertical antennas, circa 1947.
While it is beyond AM itself, there are many AMers playing with vertical resonators, towers, and this is classic stuff, on skirts, top loading, grounding efficiency, with plenty of real measurements in the MW band. Let me know via PM how to get it to you for posting.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »

What is the tube  line-up in that transmitter?  I once helped dismantle a pre-WW2 RCA that used 805's modulated by another pair of 805's, with a pair of 845's as audio drivers.  It used an XT-1690 mod transformer.  I have seen another transmitter, about the same physical size but probably a little lighter in weight, that used a pair of 828's in the modulator.  Not sure what tubes were in the final, but it also used an XT-1690 mod transformer.

What is the UTC LS series transformer shown in the photo used for?  If it came out of the transmitter, it must be a replacement for one of the originals, since RCA always used their own custom transformers, and I never heard of a stock RCA using a UTC transformer for anything.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
John K5PRO

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »

Todd, the plywood across the driveway, good trick, I like it. And you can just shift the sheets just like my using pipes. I have gravel in mine too, and when I moved the Continental 314R1 out of the house into the new garage 3 years ago, I just laid it down on trailer and drove over to the door, but a big snowstorm just started. Fun.
John K5PRO

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »

Sharp eye, Don. The LS34 was in the pile with the 250L, and David wasn't sure so he said it was part of it. It wasn't however, but i didn't complain. Thats a nice UTC audio transformer, line to line level 600 ohms, heavy duty.

The lineup is:
807 Xtal osc driving 828 driving pair of 810s.
Audio is pair 6J7s driving pair of 828s for modulator.
Pair 8008 for HV and 5Y3GT for LV.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 10:33:22 PM »

Almost, if not exactly the same tube line up as the GE BT-20A. IIRC, the GE has an 837 as the oscillator. Those 828s make nice AB1 modulators - low idling current.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015