The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:50:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Climbing a tower  (Read 14744 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 12:59:50 AM »

I do not mind high places except when they sway. I prefer to keep off them for that reason.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »

While we are talking about climbing towers, I found out about a month ago a local ham who is a good friend of mine had just completed putting up a crank-up style tower.  He needed to climb it for whatever reason and thought it was cranked all the way down but in reality it was not completely down.  When he climbed it the inside section broke loose and as a result broke the toes in both feet.  Fortunately he was able to climb down by just using his arms.  When he finally made it to the ground his son discovered him and he was in shock.  He son rushed him to the local hospital for treatment.  We had him over on memorial day for a picnic and he was still in lots of pain.  You can never be to careful for sure.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »

When he climbed it the inside section broke loose and as a result broke the toes in both feet.  Regards,
Joe, W3GMS      

Can anyone say, "Toe Guillotine?"   Gawd, that has to be the worst ham tower story I've ever heard. Poor guy. One mistake and now he'll probably have trouble walking/balancing for the rest of his life.

That reminds me of fingers and those extension ladders that sometimes slip when not locked correctly.

What locking device is usually used to keep the inside section from falling... a clamp or pin of some kind?  I've never had a crank up here.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 08:51:24 PM »

What locking device is usually used to keep the inside section from falling... a clamp or pin of some kind?  I've never had a crank up here.

Ouch! I've heard stories but none with anyone near to me. Lost limbs, in some cases. Get one of those big jobs cranked way up, it's like a train on rails coming down. He probably doesn't feel like it Joe, but he's extremely lucky to have gotten away with his toes, fingers, hands, etc.

Tom, the 55' Triasto I had used only the tooth lock on the hand winch. Still have my old 45' EZ-Way 2-section up behind my folks' place, it actually has a spring-loaded hinge plate near the top of the lower section that snaps into place as each horizontal member of the zig-zag goes by. To lower the tower, you have to pull down on a rope attached to it to hold it out of the way. Kinda tricky holding that with one arm and trying to crank the winch with the other. Hooking the rope in place would make it easier.

I learned early from my old BC engineer buddy KC1BT to trust nothing and no one when it comes to safety. He always kept a large steel pipe or hardwood chunk of 2x4 handy to slide through the tower. Depending where you slide it through, it will hold the tower in place or let it slip as much at a foot or so if the cable snaps. If the tower is up, you have to climb with the pipe and slide it through when you get to the bottom of the upper section.

Having had a steel cable snap on me while lowering a regular tower, I know it happens all too easily. in this case, a fellow helping out over-tightened the clamp on the end wrap of the cable, causing it to cut through enough strands that it let go was we reached the point of no return. Brand new cable, too.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 09:00:33 AM »

all cases when energy is stored it must be respected. When I jack up a car I put lots of blocks under the frame so if one thing fails I don't get crushed.
It would be easy to build a clamp so nothing slides in a tower toe clipper.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 11:13:10 AM »

I have no fear at all of heights or falling. But................................

Its that sudden stop at the bottom that scares the living hell out of me  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »

I have no fear at all of heights or falling. But................................

Its that sudden stop at the bottom that scares the living hell out of me  Grin  Grin

My mother was walking in downtown Utica, NY one day and she heard the sound of '"a bag of potatoes" hitting the ground about fifteen feet behind her. She turned around, and saw a guy who wanted to fly. She wondered how they would clean up the concrete 'cause it would stain. She also said the guy could have killed her if he landed on her.

Suicide is messy and inconsiderate  for thems who have to clean it up.

klc

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 04:03:12 PM »

One should always have a profound respect for gravity.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »

unless you have a stash of up-sa-dasium
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015