The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:24:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do You Miss Something This Big? Old Age?  (Read 15570 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: September 15, 2010, 06:03:10 PM »

Was out in the other garage today putzing around with the tractor and doing some general housekeeping. Spied a nice double-walled cardboard box I'd saved, sitting atop a crate. Perfect for a R-390 cabinet that needs to be shipped. Walked over to grab ahold of it planning to one-hand it back to the house. Nearly fell over and the box didn't budge. Looked at the side and it all came back to me. It's not like I forgot per say, because I've referenced this unit a few times in the recent past. But this is the first time it's seen the light of day since packing it up in 2008 for the move. A bit of a story behind it too, which some of the gang will remember and were even part of.

Sorta like Christmas in...September?  Grin The older I get, the more each day seems like an Easter Egg hunt.

* ATCBox.JPG (418.6 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 417 times.)

* ATC2.JPG (376.18 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 577 times.)

* ATC3.JPG (334.75 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 531 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »

There's a smudge on the upper right faceplate.  Unit looks unsalvageable.  Smiley

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »

Ya just gotts to love black wrinkle paint.

Bill KA8WTK
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:20:48 AM »

Nothing quite like it Bill. Sputtered to myself a bit last night for having left this baby boxed up for 2 years, apparently thinking it was already in here somewhere or still up north. Wife said to be thankful it wasn't a kid I'd left somewhere. Dynamotor is still up north and I need to get a few more connectors and mounts to finish it up, but at least the ol' girl is back in good company. Former owner had it on the air, so it's ready to go.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »

Way too nice looking ART-13 Grin Grin  You need to send that old stuff to me Grin Grin

That must be the nicest looking one I ever saw.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:47:36 PM »

Todd,
We probably tripped over it when we were down getting the JDK!  It sure is a nice clean one.  I have one here as well but need to build a P.S. for it.  My good friend Al, W2OBJ who just became a SK use to check into the AWA Sunday AM net with one each week before he got sick.  He used it with an amplified D-104 going in a stage or so and it sounded very good considering it was basically stock. 
Have fun with it and pair it up with a BC-312, 342 or a 348 for a neat looking pair of twins!
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:50:51 PM »

I certainly remember that saga, Todd - glad you found it again and hope to hear it on the air soon!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:21:39 AM »

Izz it the memory that goes first, or the hair??  I forget..........................   Grin  Shocked

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 10:51:07 AM »

The knees go second, I can't remember what goes first....  Wink

Yes Johnny, was quite a saga indeed. Far more involved than it needed to be! I should've just listened to you, accepted your offer and grabbed this thing at NEAR-Fest and saved myself 12 hours of driving. Of course, I got to visit my old friend Gary WZ1M and see his transformer shop as well as dropping off the broken mod transformer for the big rig, so it wasn't all for naught.

Joe, this one is actually the ATC, Navy version. I'll be pairing it with the RAX triplets. Photo below is from the PB4Y2 manual, posted on KC4TOS/Mike Hanz's most excellent AAFRadio page (under Flight Deck and The Triplets):

http://aafradio.org/

Mike's site is, IMO, the best resource online for WWII aircraft gear. Second only to Mike himself for useful, accurate info in breadth and depth. Be prepared to spend a couple hours if you've never visited before.

Terry, you might've seen this actual transmitter at one of the last Hosstraders fests in Hopkinton or at the first two NEAR-Fests. A guy from northern Maine had it there for sale and I drooled over it each time I saw it. He'd been using it on the air but with minimal mods and had obviously taken good care of it. At the time I had 3 ART-13s, one that was hot rodded for AM and really hacked up and two untouched units, one complete with the LF oscillator. Decided to clear out the three for the move south and find one keeper. Sold the hacked/ambitious rebuild one at NEAR-Fest and the other two (coincidentally) to a fellow in southern Maine.

At the fall 2007 NEAR-Fest Johnny, Steve, Joe 'PJP and others walked by this transmitter a number of times trying to get me to make up my mind to buy it. Figured I was safe since I always bring too little money with me to buy anything big, but Johnny chimed in offering to make up the difference. Busted! I still resisted, but ended up driving to Maine a month later to get it. Glad to have it.

Still have one ART-13 sitting in storage at the home of a former girlfriend in Colorado. It's as clean as this one. We remain friends and I hear from her now and then, she still has it. Just gotta figure out how to get it here.

BTW, if anyone has any 5DY82AB2 dynamotors kicking around for the RAX receivers, I'm looking for 3. The CG-62028 Junction box too. Also need the mounting slides for the ATC. And a few connectors, and.....hope to have it on the air this winter!

* PB4Y2-067.jpg (136.54 KB, 1131x1392 - viewed 438 times.)

* Dynamotor4.JPG (257.2 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 423 times.)

* Dynamotor7.JPG (417.44 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 419 times.)

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »

Make sure you only use that thing with the appropriate carbon mic!
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 12:42:04 PM »

Make sure you only use that thing with the appropriate carbon mic!

I have a T-17 mic that I will donate if interested.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
w1vtp

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »

Holy cow!!  That looks new.  How 'bout some shots of the inside.  I promise not to drool on my keyboard - NOT!
KA2DZT

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »

Todd,

I can use the plate meter, if you're willing to part with it Grin  Let me know.

Fred
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 08:57:11 AM »

I actually have some spares Fred, even a few NOS somewhere. Question is whether they made the trip down here yet. Pretty sure they did. I'll bring one to NEAR-Fest if you're planning to be there. Otherwise I could hand it off.

Al, I'll snap a couple shots sometime this weekend. IIRC, the inside shows more wear than the outside, and it's painted gray vs bare aluminium. Truly a purty sight.

KA2DZT

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 11:53:20 AM »

I actually have some spares Fred, even a few NOS somewhere. Question is whether they made the trip down here yet. Pretty sure they did. I'll bring one to NEAR-Fest if you're planning to be there. Otherwise I could hand it off.

Todd,

Great offer thanks,  I will not be at NEAR-Fest.  I use those plate meters in my xmtr.  I need one more to finish the 813 section of the xmtr.  I have a few extras but the face plates are faded and don't match very well to the other two that are already in the xfmr.  In fact, all I really need is a good looking face plate (Westinghouse).

Maybe, after you track them down,  you could just send me one.  No rush, just let know what you want for it.

Fred, KA2DZT
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »

Todd,

Rush that order for 52 watt Freddy (look, I promoted him by a watt!),
    he just might get that imaginary 813 final on the air in the next 5
    years...

Hey, it's a good day for me to repair my sky wire so I just might reappear
    back on the air after a few months hiatus...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »

Hope the aerial works out, Ralph. I caught up with Slab, 'ZRF, 'FJJ and Jay a couple weeks back on their 'net' down on 80 and they heard me well, so I'm guessing we'll have no trouble working. I hang out down below there, looking forward to catching up with you soon.

KA2DZT

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 05:58:18 PM »

Todd,

years...

Ralph, I'm keeping an eye on you.

I do see all your wise crack remarks Grin

Good day for antenna work, hope you have some success with it.  Wish I lived closer to your QTH, I could give you a hand with it.

Thanks for the extra watt,  I need all the help I can get.  Don't tell Frankie about it, he may want one too.

Fred
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 06:38:14 PM »

Do you have your 3733 kHz crystal? Those guys are stuck on that frequency.

Hope the aerial works out, Ralph. I caught up with Slab, 'ZRF, 'FJJ and Jay a couple weeks back on their 'net' down on 80 and they heard me well, so I'm guessing we'll have no trouble working. I hang out down below there, looking forward to catching up with you soon.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 07:55:08 PM »

I just stopped by to say hello to see if they could hear me, and they could. So the marginal/temporary 80m aerial works to the north. Was hearing all of them well too, even Chuck with his whopping 25 watts. Was a week before Shelby I think.

Was thinking the ATC would make a good peanut whistle rig to replace the 32V until I can dig into that. Talking around here locally with you and the guys up in VA it would be just right.

Heading down there now to fire up the big rig and toss out a few CQs.

w1vtp

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »

Al, I'll snap a couple shots sometime this weekend. IIRC, the inside shows more wear than the outside, and it's painted gray vs bare aluminium. Truly a purty sight.

And to think I gave mine away Sad  I've resolved NEVER to give anything of mine away.  Everything I've gotten rid of I've regretted.  That's why I have a project room with tons of storage.  I just have to get my non-ham radio stuff moved out so I can have even more room

See you at Near-Fest

Al
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 12:08:25 AM »

I sold mine off a decade ago. A pity, but I knew I would never use it. It is probably on the air somewhere.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 09:17:13 AM »

Todd,
Aren't you like 20 years younger than most of us?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 09:42:02 AM »

I didn't recognize the receivers in that shot of the PBY radio shack.  Anyone know what those are?  Todd mentioned RAX...guess I haven't seen any of those before. The ATC ART-13 sure looks nice.  Even noticed the BC-221 freq meter (Navy version) up on top.  Cool stuff!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
w1vtp

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »

Todd,

years...

Good to work you the other day Ralph.  Don't be a stranger!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015