The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:11:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking ll VFO socket  (Read 2089 times)
WB4AQL

« on: September 12, 2010, 06:36:28 PM »

Hello everyone,

I`ve got a Viking ll that previous owner swapped from the original 8-pin to 9-pin. I`m trying to make the 122 VFO work with it. I`ve got the VFO working, but it won`t shut off-it`s blanking the receiver. Does anyone know a common reason for switching to a 9-pin? Can`t think of a reason why anyone would go to that much trouble. I`m trying to figure out the wiring mods. The xmtr is not butchered and looks original except for the plug.

Does anyone have an original 8-pin plug for sale or know of a source?

Thanks,

Mike WB4AQL
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 08:56:12 PM »

Mike,

If used with the Johnson 6N2 transmitter (for transmitting on 6 and 2 meters), the Viking 1 and 2 VFO socket is changed to a 9 pin to provide filament, B+, and modulated HV to the 6N2.  It sounds like this was done to yours.  Grab the 6N2 manual from edebris and that will provide the info you need.  I would leave the socket as is and wire the VFO cable to match.

Pin 8 (VFO end) is the keying line on the VFO-122 and when it is grounded the VFO is keyed so right now it sounds like this is connected to an always grounded line.  

In short, the VFO-122 plug (transmitter end) should be wired in the following manner:
white filament leads to pins 7 AND 8
red/white (low B+) to pin 4
braid (ground) to pin 9
black/white (cathode keying) to pin 1

Rodger WQ9E
WB4AQL

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:16:12 AM »

I think you are exactly right. I`ll get the 6N2 manual. He also wired the antenna relay socket so that if shorted it will key Viking 2 plate voltage. I want to change that so that it will provide 110V to an antenna relay when plate voltage switch is applied,

Once I understand, things get simpler!

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015