The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 09:25:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SCORE!  (Read 4405 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: August 25, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »

A morning trip to the landfill just yeilded a Textronics 485 scope sitting on top of the electronics recycle pile.  With manual and some probes.  One funky attachment but I haven't had time to examine it yet. Had to get into work... Sad   Looks like I will have something to do during lunch.

Even if it doesn't work, I'm only out the effort of tossing it in my truck. Plus I can always use the probes etc.

I do love that junk pile.  I could be happy sitting there with a cup of coffee and just picking over the discards... probably why it's frowned upon by the establishment.

Odd thing, there is a big ole sticker on it with the former name and logo of the company I currently work at (well two buyers ago). Kinda Cool in a weird karma sort of way.

Now if someone would just through out a spectrum analyser, and an HP-8510,  Shocked

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:45:32 PM »

See this:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=25041.0

Wink

Rich
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:20:13 PM »

Hmm, yea that could be.  I do have FOUR oscopes. Of course two are not working, (one of which was just grabbed for PARTS).

Anyone who has an EXCESS of materials, radios or what ever, feel free to let me know.   Have truck, will travel - I'll help you clean out your shack.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K5WLF
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 11:29:48 PM »

Ed,

Just noticed in your sig that your from Nashua NH. Just wondering if you know any of the gang from Sky-Skan. They make planetarium gear and the automation systems for planetaria. I run the planetarium for Tarleton State University in Stephenville TX and our automation system is from Sky-Skan. The main guys I deal with when something breaks -- right now I'm fixing the damage from a lightning hit -- are Geoff Skelton and Mike Mertinooke. Great bunch of folks there.

ldb
K5WLF
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 12:11:05 PM »

Sorry, Can't say as I do.  Haven't ever heard of them, but maybe I'll check out the company now that I have.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:03:18 AM »

Ed,
The 485 scope is a real nice scope.  I used one on a daily basis back in the 1974 or so.  The 485 is faster than the 475 and it also has a much sharper trace.  A FB find indeed.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K5WLF
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 05:46:23 PM »

Sorry, Can't say as I do.  Haven't ever heard of them, but maybe I'll check out the company now that I have.

They've got some high-tech gear. They're the company that installed the planetarium on the Queen Mary II. Full-dome video that makes it look like you're flying right through galaxies and such.

ldb
K5WLF
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 07:46:13 AM »

,,,,,Odd thing, there is a big ole sticker on it with the former name and logo of the company I currently work at (well two buyers ago). Kinda Cool in a weird karma sort of way......

When I picked up a free Tek 535 scope from Al, W1UX a few years ago, he told me that it had been surplused from the University of RI EE Department. Was probably one I used in labs there as an undergrad back in the day.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 10:47:45 AM »

Well, I found out that the company used to sell off surplus equipment to employees.  Not anymore.  so considering it's probably not that amazing that someone had this and finally it got tossed.

On a different note, what I thought was a 485 turned into a 465 after cleaning up the muck and such (it was DIRTY).   A quick check initially showed it the trace was completely wacked out.  Then I was bumping it around on the bench and it came to life.  I guess a lot of the Semiconductors were socket mounted, so I must have seated one or maybe a board by bumping it around (i wasn't gentle as I thought it had become a parts unit).  It has a neat DMM addition, that can show information about the wave form, you can use it as a frequency counter (with a little math to find 1/T). 

100 mhz is still an improvement over my workhorse 60MHz Inritzu scope.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015