The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:12:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think it can work again?  (Read 10793 times)
iw5ci
I love old radios

« on: August 21, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »

Found this trasmitter in a barn.. Wink

http://boatanchors-net.googlegroups.com/web/gelo-01.jpg?gda=aIwEhDwAAAAq4Jfr9NL35UoorHBy-WgBS3VXm2iaRj45l0cZHNW0qPMpETDmqWJY18Zr2eLtHUxUt9a2UDQdXia4AB2cE-EO

http://boatanchors-net.googlegroups.com/web/gelo-03.jpg?gda=-7jIUzwAAAAq4Jfr9NL35UoorHBy-WgBS3VXm2iaRj45l0cZHNW0qE4tbEHZzbbn1jdYYbG_y3BUt9a2UDQdXia4AB2cE-EO

is just what i was looking for my am tx project...

It appears to be a 40/80 meters tx for am..

After washing:

http://boatanchors-net.googlegroups.com/web/gelo-07.jpg?gda=VwhDsjwAAAAq4Jfr9NL35UoorHBy-WgBS3VXm2iaRj45l0cZHNW0qK4EcCPYu1yPtyOqm_yxF2hUt9a2UDQdXia4AB2cE-EO

http://boatanchors-net.googlegroups.com/web/gelo-08.jpg?gda=q8JaZTwAAAAq4Jfr9NL35UoorHBy-WgBS3VXm2iaRj45l0cZHNW0qHprI745kU5V5eQIGuWap3BUt9a2UDQdXia4AB2cE-EO

do you think i can fix it or i have to expect that is suitable only for spares?

where to start from for restoration?

I know ... it's a really mess.

KC4VWU

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »

Looks very similar to a Harvey Wells Bandmaster layout. 807 modded by a pair of 6L6's. VFO controlled too! Go for it; doesn't look too far gone.

Phil
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:51:47 PM »

Sure you can....I restored one that dogs had been using in place of a fireplug.  That was one stinky project, but it finally came to life.  Go for it.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:29:51 PM »

Hey neat, an old Geloso, Italian built. They also had a Geloso USA product line. Geloso was an American with family and friends in Italy.

Carl
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:48:55 PM »

Definitely restore!  I really like the looks of Geloso gear. 

I had Dr. No (vintage James Bond) on the TV earlier today while doing some computer work and the transmitter featured near the start looks like in might have been a Geloso.

Rodger WQ9E
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »

Wow, amazing job of cleaning that up!  You probably will have some troubleshooting and capacitor replacement ahead of you, but there's no reason you can't get it going again, Andrea.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KF5FWU

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »

I can't git over how good it cleaned up.
Good job on givin it a bath,, and i say fix er up.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:47:16 PM »

It cleaned up pretty good.

However I would have pulled the transformers out of it before soaking it down!!

I would start by pulling the transformers out and baking them real good to get the moisture out of them

I have the matching receiver (It is pretty good!) and Joe, N3IBX has both that transmitter and also the receiver.

If you have the time, it is definately worth fixing. Geloso made some high quality stuff!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:49:17 AM »

Of course it's worth fixing up!  You must be one of the great Italian Archeologists, Andrea.  You started by removing the soil!

Smiley

Bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:46:22 PM »

Go for it! Like he said bake out the transformers.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 01:49:22 AM »

rinse the rig out with distiled water from the Drug store.  This will ensure you wont get corrosion.  Then set the thing in the sun for 2 or 3 days.  If you live in a real humid climate you can use your oven set down to 150 or so.  It will bake the moisture right out.  You might need to get creative. I have used high watt lamps facing the rig for a few days or even a small space heater.  I have put rigs like this in the dishwasher before with no ill effects if you Dry it out. IN AZ its so damn hot with little humidity that you can set a rig like this outside for 2 days and its Dry as a bone.

1.  Obtain a schematic for the rig if you can.
2. Make a list of all the electrolytic caps in the rig and order them.
3. Test all the tubes.
4. Sit down and check all the resistors and make a chart. Replace the bad ones.
5. Order some De0xit and spray the controls out, Lube the air caps at the bushings.
6. Turn it on and load it up!

C
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »

FWIW,

150 Celsius is about 300 Fahrenheit .....

or

150 Fahrenheit is about 66 Celsius.

klc

What? Me worry?
vincent
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 11:40:01 AM »

An interesting website with John Geloso story (it's in English):

http://www.qsl.net/i0jx/geloso.html
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 02:21:10 PM »

Great site on the Gelosos.  They still look sleek and modern.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »

It definitely cleaned up better than a lot of working rigs I've seen at hamfests!

As Slab said, baking the transformers to get the moisture out is a requirement. Whether the rig spent a lot of time submerged or just got soaked more from the cleaning, it will at least minimize the chances of a zorch when you turn on the power switch. This will also allow you to wire brush or otherwise clean the outside on them and repaint with new black paint, which will really perk up the inside of the radio. But even if you have a bad transformer, either a replacement or a rewind would still be cheaper than buying another working radio.

Good job so far. Looking forward to the final result.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »

yah, that would be 150 deg F or 66 deg C... no warmer!! Because the plastic will be unhappy...

Hot sun is good... dry, dry, dry...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 08:43:41 AM »

Baked Transformers Fricasee  Grin  Grin

this is my recipe for well baked small transformers ! !

Dissassemble and remove end bells (covers) for access, cleaning and painting.

Inspect transformer carefully to be sure the paper insulation isnt crumbling too badly. If it looks fairly good proceed to the next step.

Bake at somewhere between 175 and 190F for 6 to 8 hours (or more)to force out any and all moisture. (if you can heat it under a vacuum that is even mo betta)

Remove transformer from oven, and while still hot, drop it into a bucket of oil based spar varnish to cool. Leave soaking for at least 24 hours or more.

After soaking in varnish remove and allow to "drip dry" for a day or so.

Redunk in varnish and allow to drip dry again, repeat dunk / dry cycle at least 3 times until glazed nicely, more is better.

Put on shelf sitting on waxed paper to dry for a month or more, preferably in a warm dry area.

After thoroughly dry, if you have any cracked insulation on the leads, slip some heat shrink tube over them and shrink now.

Reassemble end bells and reinstall into the equipment. power it up and lt her rip!!

this works well for small to meduim sized iron, and will give an old transformer a new lease on life!!

The Slab Bacon

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 11:04:50 AM »

Excellent recipe, Slab! I don't use plastic transformers either, so 175-200 works well for chasing out the moisture.  Grin

After reassembly/sealing/testing as above, shoot with black or gray paint (semi gloss or high gloss, depending on original), bake again at 150 for half hour or so, voila - 'new' transformer.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »

Per the Slab recipie,

How long does the  oder 'o tar last in the oven??  Can it be masked by something like...

"I was baking your favorite cookies and they got burnt"

or,

" Did you use oven cleaner and forget to wipe it out?"

Sometime the warden spends the night with relatives, so the time element is important.

klc

This post may self distruct at any moment.

What? Me worry?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 01:20:47 PM »

Per the Slab recipie,

How long does the  oder 'o tar last in the oven??  Can it be masked by something like...

"I was baking your favorite cookies and they got burnt"

or,

" Did you use oven cleaner and forget to wipe it out?"

Sometime the warden spends the night with relatives, so the time element is important.

klc

This post may self distruct at any moment.

Actually if they're not potted in tar, they dont smell all that bad after baking for an hour or so. But.................................

If you're risking death, dismemberment, and worse yet................possible CASTRATION Shocked  Shocked
Try using a portable oven like a large toaster oven or similar out on the porch where they cant smell it.  they dont call em "the war dept" for nothin  Grin  Grin

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »

I picked up a good sized "Toaster-oven" from the local recycle drop off for just such a use.  Also good for toasting freshly painted parts. 

It isn't really big enough for everything but the price was Right -- free! And no complaints from "the war dept." .   

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 05:51:31 PM »

Fwiw, a pressure cooker and a source (ha ha) of vacuum, even modest vacuum connected to the nib on the top (and the pressure relief valve on the cover defeated) will definitely SUCK the air pockets out of the windings and fill them with varnish.

The fellow who did the OTL amplifier known as Futterman did exactly this with heated varnish on top of his stove!! There are pictures to prove it. Guess he potted the power iron... there was no output iron.

I get "used" stoves from the back of the local appliance store and use them for my all purpose industrial overn - i have it next to my breaker box in the shop (formerly known as the garage). Keeps nasty stuff away from the food, and if you really mess it up, you just throw it out and get another one...

I use "spot filler" primer for the end bells and potted cans that have rust and dings to fill... bake that too. Then paint. Bake that too. Not sure if they changed the Rustoleum receipe yet, but that used to bake hard as a rock.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 12:17:40 PM »

For big non potted iron a low value high wattage resistor plus meter across the HV secondary and a variac with another ampmeter in the primary work well. Bring the voltage up slowly watching for any nasty primary meter wiggles to about 50% of the currrent rating. Let it cook for a couple of days to drive the moisture out from the inside.  I did that (out in the garage) to the 7500/6000V full secondary at 1.5A CCS, built in 1946, used in a shoe factory, and stored in a shed for 25 years, iron that Ive been using on the big amp and modulator...it doesnt even get past barely warm even in buzzard mode.

Carl
iw5ci
I love old radios

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 11:56:06 PM »

Ok! It will be a winter project Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015