The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:25:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When the 807 was young  (Read 17922 times)
KC4VWU

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 12:54:49 PM »

Hey Al,
            Catch up with K5UJ, I think he was looking for some info on the Eldico.

Phil
w1vtp

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »

Hey Al,
            Catch up with K5UJ, I think he was looking for some info on the Eldico.

Phil

Rob and I have been corresponding Phil.  He has a copy of the schematic.  At some point in time it was going to show up on this forum, I think.

Anyway, I'm jealous of Rob.  When I bought the manual, I asked the guy who sold it to me and someone else got the transmitter.  Shame the transmitter and manual got separated but at least it's my partial gain.

Al
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »

Remember when in popular amateur radio slang a bottle of beer used to be called an 807?  I suppose the shape of the tube and that of the old long neck bottles did have a slight resemblance, and so did the post WW2 brown "mud" bakelite tube base with the traditional amber colored glass of a beer bottle.

My kid works at a local microbrewery.  I have mentioned to him that they ought to release a line of brew under the name "807", and make a point to get it to hamfest venues. But it's probably too late.  Like class-C amplifiers, point-to-point wiring and separate transmitters and receivers, the whole concept of the "807" would be lost on 90% of to-day's amateur radio community.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 05:39:26 PM »

You guys must have missed this TR-1 thread from several weeks ago:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=24779.0

I would suggest Al, if you plan on keeping that manual, to take the original schematic to a copy shop and get a full size replication and/or a more flexible reduced replication. The original schematic was printed on acidic-type paper which ages very badly (paper keeps getting darker and darker). As it does, the drawn lines slowly fade into the darkness.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Detroit47

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 06:28:29 PM »

How about the VT-100 going to war. I just love the wax on the pins.

John N8QPC

* VT-100.jpg (602.5 KB, 2277x1518 - viewed 483 times.)

* Vt-100a.jpg (689.74 KB, 2277x1518 - viewed 467 times.)
Detroit47

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »

'At thar is a Elkin super 12! Actually,Phil
Those Elkins were one of the best engineered CB boxes around. When it was made it used 6DQ5B's. It was the only grid driven CB amplifier I ever saw that was actually neutralized. They were also unique in that their mobile amps used ferrite transformers, and a much higher switching frequency than others. Believe it or not they looked good on a spectrum analyzer when tuned up properly.
John N8QPC
KC4VWU

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »

John,
         Being from the general area, I know both of the guys who produced them. It probably goes back several years even before I was born, but I do know the first ones used 1625's. As time went on, they switched to the DQ6B octal based tubes in 6 and 12 volt heater ratings. ESC at one point in time became a dealer for Zenith, which oddly enough used the 6 and 12DQ6 tubes as horizontal output amps in their t.v.'s. Makes one wonder if they had a high warranty claim rate on tubes.

Just some interesting local lore FYI.

Phil
Detroit47

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »

Phil

I still see them come in once in a while for service. I never saw one with 1625/807. I have seen all the variants though Boomer, Loundenboomer. But none with those tubes, I still say they were a well built box to still be around.
John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015