The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:50:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bc-610E Questions(many)  (Read 7814 times)
N2XD
Contributing

« on: August 06, 2010, 07:21:45 PM »

I was wondering if there was anyone near me with some experience working on BC-610's.I have one here that I have cleraned up and so far I've got power to the filaments(it's a start).I did bring the power up with a variac and all seems normal.I started using a tuning unit for the 3.2-4.0 mhz range and matching coil also.I have a 3.885 crystal and of course the switch on the tuning unit is in the crystal position.Turned on the Exiciter plate power and with the meter switch in the doubler plate position I'm getting around 40ma.However adjusting the doubler knob has no effect on the amount of current(i.e.will not dip)When switching to the other positions on the meter I get no reading at all.This is true if I'm in M.O. operation or crystal.Well that is a start.Any help will be greatly apperciated.I'm located near Columbia ,SC.Thanks

73 John N2XD
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:35:31 PM »

Can you get a PA grid peak?  If not, it doesn't sound like the oscillator unit is working.   Perhaps the xtal/MO switch is dirty, etc. 

Try listening for the oscillator with your receiver.  If you don't hear it, time to zero in on that MO tuning unit.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 07:38:03 AM »

Hey John,

You could try moving the TU to another position and set the band Sw.
accordingly.  A different TU may also be helpful.  I agree with W3JN you
should hear a big buzzing carrier on your RX either with Xtal or MO.
Do the VR tubes along the right side light up ?

GL

/Dan
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

adjusting the doubler knob

I have been playing with B-610C & D models for about thirty years. The double knob tunes straight through on 75 meters. You need to use a 3.645 crystal for it to work on 40 meters and of course you would need the proper tuning unit in it to double. I just set my switch for PA grid and tune for the max grid current. I get over 100 mills of drive on 160 & 75 but it starts to drop off on 40 and above. Another way to get more grid drive is to replace the tube 5Z3 with a solid state full wave rectifiers on the RF deck. That's where the PS is located for the PA grid etc. You can do that with an old tube socket by merely installing the proper diodes in it.

Different tuning units will give different outputs as gained from my experience. Try it in the VFO position and see how much grid drive you can get to the PA. Maybe your crystal output is low or something? Also try moving the tuning unit to another slot. There could be a dirty position on the selector switch which can be cleaned up using a spray cleaner. Do this with the power off  and let dry or you could risk a fire. The grid bias resistor may be open. I recall it's about 1000 ohms at 25 watts and is located under the chassis. with the rig on the grid bias voltage at the 250TH should be around -160 volts. You do not need to do anything other than have the transmitter on to make this measurement. Of course you want all power to be off when you hook up the meter leads. One last thing, ALWAYS short out the tank circuit before you change coils. If the bleeder resistor from the HV supply becomes open, you get a 2000-2500 volt shock. It could kill you. That's why they call the 610 the Widow maker.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 08:05:40 AM »

There is an extensive review article of BC610 restoration covering some of the usual problems (harmonics, audio, vfo hum) by N6PY in the March 2004 ER issue number 178.  I owned a 610 years ago as a kid when I didn't know what I was doing and didn't know what I had and let it get away.  It was given to me by Army MARS.  But this article seems like must reading for anyone fixing up a 610.  You can probably order a reprint of it from ER.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:31:52 AM »

Bill N6PY was one of the regulars who was working coast to coast on the high end of 40 meters a few years back. This was the group frequented and kepy alive by a handful of folks such as Bi-Polar Craig. Bill always had a big signal from the other side of the country and it was a blast working BC-610 to BC-610.

R.I.P. Bill.

There is an extensive review article of BC610 restoration covering some of the usual problems (harmonics, audio, vfo hum) by N6PY in the March 2004 ER issue number 178.  I owned a 610 years ago as a kid when I didn't know what I was doing and didn't know what I had and let it get away.  It was given to me by Army MARS.  But this article seems like must reading for anyone fixing up a 610.  You can probably order a reprint of it from ER.

Rob
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:26:04 AM »

In addition to Bill's ER article there was also a three part series on the 610 by K7AK.   This is an excellent and extensive review.   It ran in ERs 126, 127 and 128, October 1999 to December 1999. 

BTW the aforementioned N6PY article also gives some valuable information on using the BC939 tuner for regular coaxial fed loads, namely antennas such as inverted Ls on 160 m. 

These two articles (and there are many others) are an absolute must-read for anyone engaged in restoring a BC610 today.  The K7AK part 3 has at the end, a nice list of other sources of information, IOW other articles on the 610 that have appeared in the literature over the years.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:42:08 PM »

An update. I don't think the E model has the bias resistor like the A-D models have. W1CKI worked around this by adding one.

http://w1cki.net/250TH_Bias.htm

And another hint from W1CKI

http://w1cki.net/BC_610E_Tid_bits.htm

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »

I was wondering if there was anyone near me with some experience

Hello John, was any of this of any use to you??

N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »

It sure gives me some more good tips, which I print out and add to the file.

I'll get to the BC-610E eventually!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KL7OF

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »

I had a BC 610E for a few days....It was real dirty but original..I have waaaay too many projects so.....I sold it to Keith KE7GPO and he fixed it right up...Check out the pictures on the website of W7JHS........He did a nice job....I hope to hear it soon...when I return to WA for the winter...
N2XD
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 07:39:39 AM »

Thanks to everyone that has replied.This is all very usfull information.

73 John N2XD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015