The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:09:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ART-13 ... What's it Gonna Need?  (Read 16841 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 11:14:07 AM »

"more at http://aafradio.org/flightdeck/Peripherals-headsets.html for those so inclined"

Nice site. First time I've heard about it.

One of my favorites. Mike has unwittingly contributed to my delinquency on more than one occasion.  Grin

Probably the most comfortable and good sounding earphones I ever used were a set of WWII surplus with the large rubber cushions that looked like a giant suction cup. One of the CW guys had them at Field Day years ago. Never had any luck finding a set, though I saw Fair was selling the cushions for $25 a while back. The other smaller, more solid rubber cushions look more like a toilet plunger and though the phones sound good, comfort goes away fairly fast. They press against the ear and don't seal.

Those chamois cushions are nice and seal around the ear well. I've got a couple sets of those with the pic attached ala 'Strategic Air Command' with Jimmy Stewart. They also work fine.

Phil, I wonder if the set you found were maybe cobbled together from pieces? I've seen some of the bakelite ear cup versions, some were used up through Viet Nam for training and such. Same basic design, canvas strap headset with the adjustable poles on the side, metal earphones clipped inside. I don't recall ever seeing the 'shiny' types with rubber or padded ear cushions.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
aafradio

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »

Always happy to contribute to delinquency...at least of the radio variety.  Smiley

Probably the most comfortable and good sounding earphones I ever used were a set of WWII surplus with the large rubber cushions that looked like a giant suction cup. One of the CW guys had them at Field Day years ago. Never had any luck finding a set, though I saw Fair was selling the cushions for $25 a while back.

Possibly the Harvard Design 8-C "dual seal" cushion, a combination of the circumaural and supra-aural designs.  I don't have a ready reference for the JAN designation, but like you, I have seen them occasionally at hamfests.  

The other smaller, more solid rubber cushions look more like a toilet plunger and though the phones sound good, comfort goes away fairly fast. They press against the ear and don't seal.

MC-162-A.  I think these are the most familiar to hams, since they were usually supplied with surplus earphones after the war.  They are profoundly uncomfortable because of the rubber hardness, and don't do a very good job of excluding outside noise, either.  I guess that's one of the reasons they were dumped by the millions on poor unsuspecting radio amateurs who may have thought they were getting "authentic" aircraft headphone assemblies.  Well, to be fair, they were getting them, I suppose - the cushions were just obsolete.   Grin

Those chamois cushions are nice and seal around the ear well. I've got a couple sets of those with the pic attached ala 'Strategic Air Command' with Jimmy Stewart. They also work fine.

These NAF-48490-1 cushions seem to be the most common on the 'bay, probably because they became the Joint choice for quite a few years.

Mike  KC4TOS
http://aafradio.org
aafradio

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 10:01:27 PM »

Ouch!  I had a feeling the headset had no cushions from your mention of Bakelite - that isn't easily visible from the ear side if a cushion is in place.  

I don't doubt you had ringing in the ears.  The power required from an earphone for normal speech comprehension is a function of the volume required to be excited by the earphone diaphragm, and that volume is effectively much larger without a cushion to contain the sound, not to mention the introduction of competing broadband noise.  You're fortunate that you didn't have a permanent hearing loss... Undecided

Mike  KC4TOS
http://aafradio.org
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »

I bought HS-33's with ordinary plastic earpieces on them and slapped surplus Chamois cushions from Fair Radio onto them back in 1972. I figured that they used these in the WW2 planes. Very comfortable. The H3 shot is from AAF site. HS-33's look similar when you put the cushions on.

Mike WU2D

* Chamois1.jpg (22.56 KB, 208x243 - viewed 396 times.)

* H-3.jpg (297.17 KB, 1642x1133 - viewed 420 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
ke5o

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »

Like the B-17, here is the radio op position in our C-47 paratrooper jump platform "Boogie Baby" located in Frederick Army Air Field, OK. BC-375, BC-348 on a reproduction table built by Fred WA5QAQ. The LS-7 is not installed but for ground demonstrations. Hoping to make some aeronautical mobile contacts soon!  Cheesy

* C47 Radio Op Position.JPG (509.69 KB, 1503x1128 - viewed 449 times.)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 12:14:48 AM »

Nice ke5o!

AMI#1684
ke5o

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2010, 01:00:23 PM »

Thanks John!
Here is a photo taken last Friday. You can see the HF antenna above the fuselage going up toward the tail.
Steve

http://www.wwiiadt.org/

* DSC03939.JPG (536.84 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 406 times.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015