The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX-60/HR 10B  (Read 4654 times)
ka1ezh
« on: July 16, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »

I have two Heath kit DX-60 transmitters, and two HR 10B receivers here in S/E Massachusetts. Been out of electronics for years, got some schematics from BAMA anyone in local area willing to show how to refurb safely?

A bit timid around the ole high voltage.

Ken KA1EZH
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 05:30:49 PM »

Visually  inspect all the wiring. Look for burnt parts, broken parts, and cracked parts. Look for loose wires or leads not connected to anything. Inspect all the terminations for loose or unsoldered connections. Check the tubes. Some capacitors, especially ones in the power supply section, probably/might have to be replaced because of age. Before really diving in, get the manuals.

After doing the above and depending on the equipment's history and age, sometimes this following procedure can shake out some issues. I've used this procedure many times. Take all the tubes out; plug the unit in and turn it on. Fuse slows, stop, check the power transformer. Fuse doesn't blow; shut unit off, insert good rectifier tube only, and turn unit on. Fuse blows, stop, check the all the power supply components, B+ leads, bias leads, and their connections for shorts. Once you've determined the power supply is providing the voltages it's suppose to provide (manual and/or schematic helpful here) you can proceed with the insertion of the rest of the tubes and evaluate the equipment's performance or the lack of any performance.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:28:27 PM »

Hello there Ken,

I'm not close to you But when I'm in that situation After a good visible inspection I have a heavy duty Variac
here an I take my time when bringing unknown circuits up to potential especially on the First Smoke Test.

That way You can control your HV an not worry so.. Smiley

An then come on back in here just about everyone of us on this forum has had ran an junked out those Rigs
an will have plenty of help in bringing this project up for ya.

My name is jack nice to meet ya.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:02:58 AM »

Try to find someone in your area that has experience doing this and just ask for help if you dont feel confident. Most hams are willing to help you. A few weeks ago, I Drove across town and helped a ham get his DX100/hammarlund station up and running on 75 meters.  Now he is on the air with it daily.

Otherwise, Post pictures and questions here and all of us will help!

C
ka1ezh
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:14:18 PM »

Pete I took all tubes out fired up no smoke, checked BIAS voltage at ACC plug in rear had 165.8 V, and at the 6.3V 2A pin had 6V.

I have manuel and used readings on page 4 where the power supply info is.

I now have plugged all tubes in, they all are glowing in standby, still without smoke (so far so good).

Whats my next step?

Ken
KC4VWU

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:29:15 AM »

Make some RF. If you don't already have one, make a dummy load from an extra coax jumper and a 40w incandescent light bulb. RG-8X works good, use a insulated type socket with the two leads coming out of the bottom and make it up real nice since it will be a handy tool for future use; quick and easy. Keep several wattage bulbs on hand, 40, 60, 100. Hook it up and following the manual, tune it up.  Do you have any xtals?

Phil
ka1ezh
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »

Ok Phil I will have to get a light socket, along with making RG-8 jumper. I do not have X-tals have HG 10B VFO.

Will work on it in next couple of days.

Ken
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

dont need no stinkin socket.............  tack solder and load 'er up

lots of fun when the bulb rolls though

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: