The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:37:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6BA7 sub  (Read 11056 times)
NR5A
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:48:38 PM »

Hey guys I was given a NC-300, it had been taken apart 2 years ago and painted. My mission put it back together, restring the slide dial pointer. It was dead when plugged in and I found 3 bad tubes. Also have several new tubes to swap out. The 6BA7 is really bad but I don't have one. Is there a tube I can sub till I can get a new one. I'd sutre like to hear somthing come out of the spkr tonite.

Jerry - NR5A
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 07:16:38 AM »

Jerry,

The 6BA7 pentagrid converter tube with a 9 pin base is a lone wolf, i.e. no sub. I recall seeing broadcast band radios where someone made an adapter to use a 6BA7 in place of a 6BE6. You could do the reverse, but the extra wire length will cause problems as you go up from broadcast band.

I suggest you wait for a 6BA7 (they are not rare), and if you want to hear audio from that radio, use a screwdriver touched to a low level audio stage so you can hear a 60 HZ buzz in the speaker.  Cheesy

Jim
WD5JKO
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 08:59:44 AM »

The 6BA7 was a fairly short lived tube (in production and service life) that didnt live up to expectations.

Its either live with it or go with a better mixer such as a dual triode conventional or Pullen style, or a 7360 or TV version beam deflection tube.

Carl
KE6DF

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 10:55:20 AM »

They seem pretty cheap on ebay.

Here is a guy with four NOS tubes for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-VINTAGE-NOS-SYLVANIA-6BA7-TUBES-TUBE-MADE-USA-/180526645984?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a083a02e0

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 01:01:40 PM »

Most of the on-line tube vendors have  them, and they are not expensive.  Antique Electronic Supply at tubesandmore.com also has them.

I have been using AES more lately.  My last couple of tube orders using on-line vendors that previously had provided good service were sporadic in processing  the order.  I eventually got my tubes after several weeks of waiting, but it took multiple phone calls and e-mail exchanges, and they had all sorts of excuses why they didn't process the order right away.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »

Most of the on-line tube vendors have  them, and they are not expensive.  Antique Electronic Supply at tubesandmore.com also has them.

I have been using AES more lately.  My last couple of tube orders using on-line vendors that previously had provided good service were sporadic in processing  the order.  I eventually got my tubes after several weeks of waiting, but it took multiple phone calls and e-mail exchanges, and they had all sorts of excuses why they didn't process the order right away.

I'm with you there. Although AES has unfortunately shifted focus away from radio, they still have a pretty good selection, and they always seem to ship orders promptly. Just my experience. YMMV

-Tim
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 05:11:35 PM »

I'm with you there. Although AES has unfortunately shifted focus away from radio, they still have a pretty good selection, and they always seem to ship orders promptly. Just my experience. YMMV

What do you see as their focus now?

Although I still order from them from time to time, I don't get their catalogue in the mail like I used to.  Most of my orders are on-line, so I just search for the specific item, and haven't really noticed a change in "focus".

I have noticed some electric guitar and high end audio stuff in their inventory.  Are they now catering to electric guitar enthusiasts, high-end audio buffs, audiophools or all the above?  Have they started carrying $600 a.c. power cords and oxygen-free copper speaker cables yet?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »

Yea an those Acoustical High End Electrolytic Condensers they have a Yellow body and Green leads....
N8UH
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »

What do you see as their focus now?

Although I still order from them from time to time, I don't get their catalogue in the mail like I used to.  Most of my orders are on-line, so I just search for the specific item, and haven't really noticed a change in "focus".

I have noticed some electric guitar and high end audio stuff in their inventory.  Are they now catering to electric guitar enthusiasts, high-end audio buffs, audiophools or all the above?  Have they started carrying $600 a.c. power cords and oxygen-free copper speaker cables yet?

From their website, I have notice a much larger emphasis on the vintage electric guitar folks. I find it a bit hard to wade through it all looking for radio parts. But, that must be where the money is.

Fortunately, they haven't started selling $485 wooden knobs for the audiophools:
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/4309/

-Tim
sndtubes
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »

You guys do have a AM Fone member who is a full time tube vendor........
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:03:25 PM »

AND,  Mike,  it took a while,  but I found your Tube website:

http://www.vacuumtubes.com

You are very subtle.  Will try your service the next time I need tubes.   73  Vic
sndtubes
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »

AND,  Mike,  it took a while,  but I found your Tube website:

http://www.vacuumtubes.com

You are very subtle.  Will try your service the next time I need tubes.   73  Vic

Ha Ha, thanks, Vic.  I don't like to blow my horn much, but I don't think anyone here really knows......
I certainly won't use this site or any other for "advertising".  I think doing that is kind of low class.  I know of another vendor who is a tube collector and is constantly promoting himself on the tube collector reflector......

thanks, 73,
Mike WB0SND
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 11:28:22 AM »

I know of another vendor who is a tube collector and is constantly promoting himself on the tube collector reflector

And elsewhere....  If you really want to wind him up offer to provide a copy of his Jackson tube tester settings from his overpriced book.

Carl
sndtubes
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 03:00:17 PM »

I know of another vendor who is a tube collector and is constantly promoting himself on the tube collector reflector

And elsewhere....  If you really want to wind him up offer to provide a copy of his Jackson tube tester settings from his overpriced book.

Carl

Ha Ha Ha!  You know who it is!!
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »

AES is now focused on musicians.  They have some stock for parts we need but nobody there knows anything about radio. I buy from them as they are a few miles from the house. Most Hams wont buy from them and just talk bad about them. One major reason is that they have no store front and they want to ship to you even though you are in town. They have a will call but its open only a few hours a day and you cannot get anything same day..

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015