The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:27:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Society of Petroleum Engineers response to Deepwater event  (Read 18104 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: July 07, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »

http://www.spe.org/notes/2010/07/faqs-on-deepwater-drilling-gulf-spill/

Please note the responses to the FAQ's from SPE members.  Interesting comments, some paralleling thoughts expressed on this board.  SPE is the oil and gas industries equivalent of IEEE and every bit as professional.

Also some knowedge of methane hydrates, particularly formation at critical temperature and pressure is useful in discussing some of the earlier attempts to control the discharge at deep sea depths.

The industry will go forward with deep sea drilling and production, if not in US then certainly offshore Brazil, Cuba, South China
Sea, North Sea... you name it.

Financing (who and how) of offshore Brazil deep sea exploration and development at this time and short term future is particularly illuminating right now. 

R. S. Wilson, PE O&GE, SPE /AIME

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka3zlr
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »

As Expected:.

I'm Not Impressed one bit, with this, No Disrespect to the Poster an I haven't had any concerns about drilling other fields, or being so concerned with Brazil,.. Stay on Target America has the Problem...other countries they have their own issues an concerns, all I'm getting out of this mish mosh is we're drilling Relief tubes so that's the reasoning for the August Timeline I Hope it works as we're generating How many GPM.

As far as these generated meetings an gatherings coupling collectives of Prof's Added on purpose time wasting my answer to that is You'all had Nothing Prepared an All this started when..,? and we're at what time now,..? HOW MUCH MORE TIME DO WE LET PASS.. OK it's time to get Up an Go.. stand up an Limp out of the cushy offices an protected jobs,, an I do like the discussion on Role Playing...Why Yes we're Furthering the need for more Role Playing with the department of Interior oh does that Ring of Compartmental-ism...more PSi's PIE's MOB"S Ya gotta love it man... Getting Geared up for the advancement to hand  off the issue to the Feds Hands Boys...Here we're done...It's your Baby now... Cool Tax Payers a Tench Hut now Do Your Duty PAY UP.

I don't Trust what is Happening Not one Daw Gone Bit.

Again No Disrespect meant to the poster or the Fourm.

Jack.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »

none taken  Grin

-jes thought a little info should be radiated outward
into the aether.

RICK  *W3RSW*
k3zrf

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:36:30 PM »

nice post acronyms there Rick!

Didn't know what ya did  Grin

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:12:28 PM »

Thanks much for the info.  The SPE faqs are great, the member comments are more telling.  While I fully agree that too many have jumped the gun in reaching conclusions about the cause (especially Congress), I think SPE could be more realistic and admit that poor decisions by the drilling directors are going to be the major cause.

b.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »

Of the initial leak. The lack of containment is a whole different story.

I think SPE could be more realistic and admit that poor decisions by the drilling directors are going to be the major cause.

b.
ka3zlr
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:42:17 AM »

And what do the "Members" Have to say about Rain, and the Impending Refugee Crisis.

I'm Not saying anymore than the TILT Average is growing and Crop Damage is surfacing.

Jack.

WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »

Rick,

Doesn't this stuff drive you crazy.

The media, and BP for that matter, are not forthcoming with ANY information that might allow you to have an idea of what happened here.

So look at this.  https://hub.us.pason.com/drilling_data/get_last_24_hours/1277904024

That is the last 24 hours of a well EnCana is drilling in Wyoming. I'm at my house here in Colorado, 450 miles away, and not only me but anyone with a user name and password can look at all the drilling information on  any well if the have been granted access.

Note the BOP Drill at about 13:20, they are done everyday.

This is real time information, that has been recorded and saved since the well started. It would have been sent to BP and all consultants who were working on the well.

So where is this stuff?

I would like to know TD on the well, the mud wt. at TD, see the mud/geologic log, see all the recorded drilling information, it looks to me like openhole logs were run, how much rat hole beyond the last pay zone did they have, how long did they wait on cement after running their long string. Did they properly bump the cement plug, did they maintain pressure against it. Did they run a CBL(cement bond log) before they decided to displace the drilling mud with sea water? Did they wait long enough for the cement to set?

Based on T&P and the formation you landed your casing in and are setting your cement in, the curing time for the cement could be anything from 6 to 48 hours. Maybe more, I'm  a petroleum geologist, so I'm not a expert on cementing wells although I've done it myself many times.

What I've seen is a lot of PC bullshit, and no hard facts of what occured, although I know they were all recorded.

In the Spring of 1942 the East Coast of the US was covered in oil from Florida to NYC. From what? German U-Boats sinking our oil tankers coming from Texas to the Northeast. Was this a big environmental disaster?

No, I guess prople, where more interested in making sure the National Language wasn't German instead of saving a few birds along the coast.

I'm glad they did that, because learning German sucks.

You all have a good day!

Marty Granica  WB2RJR

AMI #20, GACW #786
ka3zlr
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »

They need to Interview the Deck Sup. is he still alive..?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 07:24:19 PM »

No he was killed but they interviewed his wife and she thought he was very trouble just before the blow out.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 09:10:54 AM »

-Marty Granica  WB2RJR and all:
      Yes, very germain thoughts.

No doubt 12 lives, several score B bbl's oil, several T's nat. gas, several B $'s later dispersed to the good, sundry and the silly, coupled with the emnity of thoughtful people everywhere  has caused BP to have serious thoughts too about best practices.

They'll spend a lot of time and money cleaning up operating practices, safety and design. They'll have a lot of review of public image and corporate relations.

The standard business model for every large corporation, particularly international, will now change.  It will incorporate but not record methods for dealing with increasing statism in all its expensive, grandstanding glory.  Expenses and subsequent charges for products and services and, of course, taxes, overt and hidden, will inexorably go up.  

We as informed, somewhat compliant consumers will bear the cost.  Some of us will laud the increased expenses as necessary; most of us will p&m about the nasty corporations, mega exec. compensation, etc. whilst totally ignoring the basic tenants of "Animal Farm" and excessive government disguised as "helpful and necessary."  Note that some informed gov't is necessary.  It is so much easier to attack with mantra rather than build or rebuiild with thoughtful, constructive talent.   Very few problems in the real domain have linear solutions.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »

Yes, we see this pattern repeated.  Compare the Boston Molasses Disaster of 1919 which killed 25 men:

-Occurred in winter
-Involved brown sticky fluid
-Construction Supervisor skipped static pressure tests of vessel
-Leaks were ignored and disguised by painting tank brown
-Rising tank temperatures over several days were ignored
-Sailors were first responders to scene
-Company denied responsibility.  Initially claimed Anarchists caused explosion.
-Waters surrounding site were brown for months afterwards
-Cleanup involved men with shovels for months afterwards
-Residents claimed area smelled for years afterwards
-Legal actions dragged on for several years
-Company ordered to pay damages

Lessons:
-Who uses molasses any more?
-When was the last time you met an Anarchist?
-Welding is a faster way to cover up stress cracks than painting
-Bostonians got over fear of molasses and no longer wear high button shoes.

b.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 04:48:49 PM »

The riggers dropped a $100K amp we had them moving between buildings.
It was our fault because we didn't provide them a procedure on how to move a rack of equipment.
only in amerika
ka3zlr
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »

Yup, then there is the Short Term Memory to count on.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »

Top ten oils spills of all time. Hard to say what the current spill is adding up to with all the estimates, but it's very likely it won't be anywhere near the worst (at least as far as amount spilled) of all time.

1. Kuwait - 1991 - 520 million gallons
Iraqi forces opened the valves of several oil tankers in order to slow the invasion of American troops. The oil slick was four inches thick and covered 4000 square miles of ocean.

2. Mexico - 1980 - 100 million gallons
An accident in an oil well caused an explosion which then caused the well to collapse. The well remained open, spilling 30,000 gallons a day into the ocean for a full year.

3. Trinidad and Tobago - 1979 - 90 million
During a tropical storm off the coast of Trinidad and Tobago, a Greek oil tanker collided with another ship, and lost nearly its entire cargo.

4. Russia - 1994 - 84 million gallons
A broken pipeline in Russia leaked for eight months before it was noticed and repaired.

5. Persian Gulf - 1983 - 80 million gallons
A tanker collided with a drilling platform which, eventually, collapsed into the sea. The well continued to spill oil into the ocean for seven months before it was repaired.

6. South Africa - 1983 - 79 million gallons
A tanker cought fire and was abandoned before sinking 25 miles off the coast of Saldanha Bay.

7. France - 1978 - 69 million gallons
A tanker’s rudder was broken in a severe storm, despite several ships responding to its distress call, the ship ran aground and broke in two. It’s entire payload was dumped into the English Channel.

8. Angola - 1991 - more than 51 million gallons
The tanker expolded, exact quantity of spill unknown

9. Italy - 1991 - 45 million gallons
The tanker exploded and sank off the coast of Italy and continued leaking it’s oil into the ocean for 12 years.

10. Odyssey Oil Spill - 1988 - 40 million gallons
700 nautical miles off the cost of Nova Scotia.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »

I ran across an article the other day (from National Geographic IIRC), which stated that Nigeria averages the equivalent of an Exxon Valdez spill about once a month. Government oversight over oil drilling by British, US, French and Dutch oil companies is non-existent. An example of what happens when exploration and drilling are left totally unregulated, and apparently, a few Americans would like to see the same thing here.

Little or none of the oil wealth is going to the Nigerian people.  Instead, it goes to corrupt government officials and their cronies, while most of the population remains in poverty trying to eke out a miserable existence via subsistence farming and fishing, and now has to live amidst polluted rivers, fields and coastal waters.  This has resulted in the development of a guerilla movement with growing popularity that may eventually evolve into outright civil war. Once all hell breaks loose in Nigeria look out for world oil prices.

BTW, I know one of those officials who is trying to smuggle his wealth out of the country before all hell does break loose.  He has offered to pay me a six-figure sum to help him out, but first I have to come up with $20,000 to take care of a few trivial expenses. I just got an e-mail from him this morning. But I have to wonder about his orientation since he addressed me as "My Dearest".

Speaking of BP and Africa, the company announced Thursday that it planned to start drilling off the coast of Libya within weeks despite calls for a moratorium on the plans, over the company's alleged links to the release of the Lockerbie bomber. Some US senators are urging the UK government to investigate what role the company might have played in the decision to free Abdel Baset al-Megrahi in August 2009. At the time of his release on "compassionate grounds", doctors said he had only a few months to live. Now, nearly a year later, he's still alive and kicking. BP has admitted to lobbying the British government for a prisoner transfer deal in 2007. BP reportedly signed a $900 million exploration agreement with Libya in May of that year, the same month Britain and Libya agreed to allow al-Megrahi's release.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38256677/ns/world_news-africa

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »

Gee Don, I got that email also. Do you think I should reconsider
ka3zlr
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 01:02:14 PM »

Zed.L.R's Response,

FB now let's take care of the sick, clean up the mess an Get-R-Done.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 03:57:39 PM »

Yes. Go here for more.

419eater.com

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »

Yes. Go here for more.

419eater.com

Gotta lurve that place.
ka3zlr
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »

No Leak Now Yea... Smiley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10654584
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 10:45:56 PM »

Yes. Go here for more.

419eater.com

I loved the "Skeleton Coast" story.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
ka3zlr
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 10:53:27 PM »

I like watchen folks walking around with empty bags that bothers me, like whats up.

Jack.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 11:58:17 PM »

Now they are saying the capped well may have sprung a leak.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38273995/ns/disaster_in_the_gulf

- - -
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 11:41:34 AM »

Now that they have a good interface to the well head why don't they just harvest the oil and turn it into cash and screw the pressure test. The oil coming up will reduce the backpressure and pay to clean up their mess.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015