The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:23:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WX Troll!  (Read 17093 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: July 07, 2010, 09:04:24 AM »

It looks awful there along the Atlantic. It's wacky everywhere ..This morning we're socked in at 55 degrees, fog and a cold drizzle. 25 degrees below normal.

Today: A slight chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 62. Northeast wind between 6 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 45. East northeast wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 09:10:35 AM »

I was thinking yesterday (as I probably do every year about now) that I'll never complain about winter wx again.   Cheesy

I wonder if I am the only one looking forward to winter?  yes you have to shovel snow.  but i'd rather do that one thing than all the other stuff i have to do around here in summer.  And I'd rather walk outside into a freezer than into a steam room.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:50:44 AM »

Actual temperature hit 105 here yesterday at BWI airport. Probably at least 5 deg hotter in downtown area (Baltimore)! ! Shocked

Prognosticators and WX witchdoctors are calling today to be instant replay of yesterday! Yuck Shocked  Shocked 

We dont need no stinkin charcoal for a cookout, lust leave the stuff on the hood of ur car!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:55:07 AM »

It's summer. It gets hot.   Cool
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:36:05 AM »

Amazing how that works.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:08:11 AM »

And I'll bet in six months there will be a post on how cold it is and/or how much snow we have.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »

Years ago a friend of mine had air conditioning in his car. During the hot summer days he would usually drive with the windows open. I axed him why he didn't use the air. He said the hot days are here for only a few months and then they're gone. Might as well enjoy them while we can.

Same goes for winter. I agree with Rob - the winter cold is great. I would hate to live all year down in FL without a fall or winter. The variety of four seasons is FB. To live all the time in one stagnant climate, be it the North Pole or the tropics would be like being in jail... Wink

Today's another unusual 100 degree scorcher. A/C running and Yaz stays near the cold air.

Steve: You might necro this thread around January 7, 2011 -   Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »

"  It's summer. It gets hot.   Cool  "

THIS POST WILL SELF DISTRUCT MOMENTARILY. GOOD LUCK.

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »

It's been hot here for the past few days, but the humidity has been relatively low.  I have been able to work outside without my shirt becoming drenched within the first 5 minutes.

I like a change of seasons, with a short period of extreme heat in summer and extreme cold in winter.  But I am not crazy about prolonged extremes of hot or cold, for example in parts of Canada and northern New England, where you have two seasons in the year: winter, and spring/summer/fall.

When I spent several years in East Africa back in the 60's, at first it was great.  Spring-like weather year round at 7600 ft. altitude.  But eventually I became aware of something fatiguing about it.  Finally it dawned on me what was wrong. I missed the change of seasons.

Now that we have thoroughly discussed the weather, does anyone want to hear the latest news about my gall bladder or the details of my most recent colonoscopy? Grin

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 11:55:37 AM »

I was ordered By the Oncologist No Outside activities today this is how close he is in his concerns for me the guy actually calls me he's a cool dude.. Grin

So I get to look at it today in 72 degree weather..

Jack.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »

"  gall bladder or the details of my most recent colonoscopy? Grin "

The Organ Recital

klc

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 12:33:36 PM »

Suppose to hit 100 or so here today, nothing out of the ordinary for this area. Humidity is currently low, which helps a lot. Interestingly, Jen points out that Tampa has never hit 100 degrees, probably due to its location right on the gulf and the associated breezes. The humidity is killah, though. And when it rains down there (around 4:30PM every afternoon in summer), you pull over and wait for it to pass. Drops the size of golf balls tend to flood roadways quickly as well as making visibility nil.

Interestingly, when watching the local WX here in NC and looking at previous high/low record temps, the vast majority are 30-40 years ago or more.

And I'll bet in six months there will be a post on how cold it is and/or how much snow we have.

You guys got it a lot worse last winter from Richmond up through 3 Land, yet down here they're calling it the worst winter in decades. It actually snowed more then 2-3 times, with some accumulation!  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
ka3zlr
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »

Is the Sand Pile still Paving their roads with that mix of crushed sea shells you have to watch that when it's raining....slippy

Jack.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »

Now that we have thoroughly discussed the weather, does anyone want to hear the latest news about my gall bladder or the details of my most recent colonoscopy? Grin

that reminds me of oneof the funniest QSOs I listened to many years ago. I was just sitting there copying a really strong CW qso of 2 guys chit-chatting back and forth, and one of them was describing his wife's recent hemrhoid operation. It was hilarious. I guess he figgered if it was in CW no one else would be paying any attention!  Grin

the Slab Bacon

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »

Why not? Stop chewing on lemons, Steve. If the topic isn't of interest, you don't need to comment.

I'm a weather nut and a 40-degree east to west high differential between Denver vs. NYC is quite unusual for July. Like NYC vs. Miami in the winter.

ka3zlr
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »

Man It's Ugly at 8:00AM here at my place that's how I've been getting some of my work done Early in the morning an Late at night.. Cool

I got a roof to finish up I'll prolly get rained on before I get it done.

Jack.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »

Right now locally - 98 degrees, feels like 101
Miami, FL - 88 degrees, feels like 97
Melbourne, Australia - 47 degrees, feels like 47
Anchorage, Alaska - 60 degrees, feels like 60

Life goes on.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 02:57:52 PM »

No lemons here Bill, lemonade.

I just find it amusing when people state the obvious. I'll be waiting for your post entitled: "The Sun Came Up This Morning."   Grin

Why not? Stop chewing on lemons, Steve. If the topic isn't of interest, you don't need to comment.

I'm a weather nut and a 40-degree east to west high differential between Denver vs. NYC is quite unusual for July. Like NYC vs. Miami in the winter.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 05:52:36 PM »

I can picture you with orange hair.  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 09:26:09 PM »

Its hot.. Sad  Had to build a room outback for Toby the dog.  Got a cooler running.  Runs about 80F in there when I have to leave him alone. Better then 120F where my neighbors dogs live in the open Sad

C

* Photo_062510_002.jpg (239.15 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 428 times.)

* Photo_070710_003.jpg (320.68 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 466 times.)

* Photo_061010_004.jpg (345.58 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 441 times.)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 10:16:26 PM »

It's that dam global warming.....I tell ya!!
Here in the Pilipines we have heat index of 114 during the day and heat index of 95 at night. There are days that it seems 'slightly' cool..........haaaaah haaaa
We have acclimated and the air conditioning we decrease at night coz I think we're freezing.
Ham radio will come to life for me in a couple of days. Gotta haul the stuff up to our property on top of nice hill. We see the Philippine Sea from our future far away home

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 10:02:40 AM »

My 18 Y.O. son and a couple of buddies are doing a road trip to Phoenix this weekend, predicted highs around 110. They've never been in the midsummer desert before. It should be a real experience for them, LOL, especially when they grab the branding iron hot seat belt buckles in the car.

Fred, I doubt that I could *ever* get acclimated to that tropical climate. I mildew easily. Good luck with the station.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 11:42:31 AM »

Pretty much how I felt about Tampa, which is why I was glad to 'compromise' on Raleigh. It still gets plenty hot and humid here, but overall more seasonal than either FL or VT, with much longer/'usable' Spring and Fall seasons. Winter is pretty tame too, though even at 40 degrees, the damp wind really cuts.

Funny to have been on the other side, when folks from warmer climates visiting VT in winter would comment on the sub-zero temps, ass-deep snow, and nostrils freezing together. Always made me chuckle to myself thinking....yup, sure 'nuff.....it is winter, after all.....

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 11:49:43 AM »

Gee only 70 in Fullerton Ca. Nice wx if I could have some goof off time.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 11:55:57 AM »

Gee only 70 in Fullerton Ca. Nice wx if I could have some goof off time.

Yea but, itz 95 and humid in Fullerton Md (about a mile from my house) Yuck!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015