The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:47:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1954-5 ARRL 813 Rig - KC2YOI score - 500 watts??  (Read 19368 times)
KC2YOI
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 01:09:39 PM »

The fella that built this rig (Lou) lives in central New Jersey. I'm going to ring him up and see what else he may have to contribute to the Hx of this rig and if it's OK to post his call sign.

Bear, this is the link for the arrl piece on the modulator, it's in the body of the piece.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/5401011.pdf

Also, Re: The Simplest Modulator.
WB2RJR provided a link in an earlier discussion here. I'm warming up to the idea of fabbing this little stand alone unit. the pdf. link is below

* 6y6 modulator.pdf (270.27 KB - downloaded 208 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 03:54:28 PM »

RJR must be here in spirit; don't see any posts from him.

The one I have was built by a ham from North Jersey but don't remember the call. I think I still have his original paperwork for the transmitter and power supply around here somewhere.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »

I need a dial scale sheet for mine, the original is all stained.

That and I have to delouse the National knobs, they are growing hair Roll Eyes

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 06:05:26 PM »

If it is a National, and I didn't sell it at a hamfest i had one that was unused, condition today is unclear...

PM me if that is something that might be useful to have scanned and a jpeg or bitmap file sent??

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04:18 PM »

I  wonder how many of the rigs described in the various handbooks were ever duplicated EXACTLY by a reader/builder?  I thing most homebrewers of the era would have used the handbook or QST article as a basic guideline, and modified the design according to parts on hand or what was available at the retail/mail order stores, personal preferences, and whatever modification to the design it might have taken to make the rig work as described. Probably very few were ever constructed verbatim from the article description.

I think you would be pushing an 813 to the fringe to run it at 500 watts DC input plate modulated.  They will run that power on CW, but on phone, the recommended maximum is about 400 watts, although it might run 500 at considerable expense of tube life.  I believe even 400 watts input is at the ICAS rating, not CCS.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 07:38:47 PM »

I  wonder how many of the rigs described in the various handbooks were ever duplicated EXACTLY by a reader/builder?

I have seen four of the 813 rig built exactly per the hand book. I have one and another I tore apart.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015