The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:43:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit Comanche MR-1, MT-1, Speaker, PS and Mike  (Read 3932 times)
wb2rei
« on: July 01, 2010, 11:45:42 PM »

worth messing around with?  Bought it from an estate. Thanks for the comments.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:28:49 AM »

The MT-1 is a cool little rig - essentially a DX-60 with VFO but needing an external PS.

The MR-1 is a POS; possibly the worst sounding receiver ever.  However it's cool looking and it'd be fun to match up with the MT-1.  Have at it!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:37:09 AM »

Agree with JN on the MR-1, it sounds much better on CW than phone Smiley  But the little mobile setup is fun to use and I have made a number of 75 and 40 meter QSO's with mine.  I picked mine up at a hamfest and the UT-1 power supply is built into a MR/MT-1 case with a clock on the front panel so I have a really large clock radio.

I later picked up the cosmetically similar HX-20/HR-20 SSB mobile twins and paired them with a HA-14 "compact KW" amp.  I haven't tried to go mobile with them but they have been on the vintage SSB net a few times.

Rodger WQ9E
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 11:10:17 AM »

The HX-20 makes a Fine Business 10 watt Yay-M rig if you remove the xtal filter and disable the ALC.  Feed the audio directly to the cathode follower driving the balanced modulator and you get a good 50 KHz response  Grin  Only thing is you gotta follow the carrier balance pretty carefully as it'll drift around and pretty soon you're making the 6146 get red in the face w/too much carrier.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »

I may try that on my "spare" HX-20, thanks for the info.   I could pair it with my RA-1 (UK version of the HR-10; covers 160 and has dual speed tuning drive) for an unusual Heath AM rig.

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015