The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:49:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rust Removal  (Read 3079 times)
wb1aij
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:19:14 AM »

Check out this link; it tells how to remove rust using electrolosis. It works really well (I have used it) even on odd shaped items that have nooks & crannies. It actually turns the iron oxide back into iron rather than removing it. I buy the washing soda (Arm & Hammer brand) from the local grocery store.

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm

K3ZS

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »

There is some stuff called naval jelly.   It would combined with surface rust and turn it into a black coating.    It seemed to work when I used to have rusty cars, it would hold the rust off for a while.    It goes bad after a while so don't buy a lot of it at one time.    Google it, you will find out about it.

wb1aij
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:15:22 PM »

There is some stuff called naval jelly.   

I seem to remember that stuff; I believe it was pink in color & contained some type of acid. I could be wrong; it;s been a long time since I have used that stuff.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 02:07:37 PM »

Naval jelly was acid based. Ate the rust off and left a blackend byproduct.

There is a phosphate (?) based "rust reformer" that supposedly converts the iron oxide into a hard coating and protects the underlying metal from further corrosion. 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »

Rusty metal primer supposedly does a similar thing.  They  claim that the rust soaks up the primer, which then hardens, and then the layer of surface rust actually helps the primer adhere to the metal.  I have used it and it seems to work pretty well.  

Aluminium paint does the same thing; that's what I used to paint the non-galvanised castings on my tower base insulator, and have re-painted it once in the 29 years it has been exposed to the elements. It shows less rust than what is on the Rohn 25 tower sections.

I see a contradiction in the article on electrolysis. First, they say that it turns the iron oxide back into iron rather than removing it, but later on they say that "it only operates on the rust in immediate contact with unrusted metal. What’s gone is gone... The surface of rusted metal is left black. Rusted pits are still pits. Shiny unrusted metal is untouched".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 01:42:12 AM »

I have yet to try it, but a combination of Vinegar and table salt supposedly works wonders overnight on rust...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »

Sulphated molasses and water. See the current Tech post on cleaning aluminum. For steel/iron use the used mix to water your plants

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015