The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:39:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos: Today's annual Midwest Classic Radio Hamboree  (Read 19555 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 01:31:22 PM »

Rob,
I have seen Joe, N3IBX RA-150 and it is in fantastic condition.  I believe I even worked him on the air with it maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

Well, many years ago I got a call from Barry, K3VIZ asking if I wanted his RA-150.  I use to work Barry after we got home from High School with that rig.  We were about the same age and had a lot of fun on 75 AM.  The rig always sounded pretty darn good.  That rig was nicknamed "the wamp bucket" by Barry!  So I drove up and picked good old wamp bucket up.  It's 100% complete, but really needs a restoration which will get done one of these days.  

Regards,
Joe, W3GMS        

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 02:59:45 PM »

Thanks for the photos Rob,
Now we have to see photos of the stuff "that followed you home"

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 05:16:50 PM »

First Johnny picks one up in front of me for $40. There was one on ebay about a month ago that went for around $250 and one sold yesterday for $342. It's OK. I can deal with it

Yours is just over the horizon, Carl. All the ones popping up and those finding them around you prove this. It took me 10 years to finally snag a 300G despite a number of them coming available in that time. And even then, I had to drive from VT to the southwest corner of CO and back to get it. Just wait, you'll be the one grabbing the one I see from across the way.  Just step back from the edge, now.... Wink

Yes Bob W9RAN was there, and we had a great time talking about broadcasting and the HT20 restoration.  He has his on the air and working FB.  

I'd expect nothing less from him! I've known Bob for a decade of more online, but have yet to meet him or Larry, 'VRN. Hoping to catch both of them at Dayton next year, otherwise a trip to one of those fine 'fests in IL would be just the ticket. Funny part is, Bob doesn't live too far from a little redhead I was dating out there in Rockton, but we'd split up before the location topic came up.

I really have gotten stuck in the 30's lately.  

It's easy to do, Rodger. I've been getting back to my roots in the pre-war gear for the last few years after being lured away by all the cheap 40s-50s goodies years ago. I let go a number of nice rigs back in the 80s including a Halli SX-9, RME-69, HQ-120X to mention a few. It's fun to get back to what originally drew my attention, and the magic associated with the 'crudeness' of the early equipment. Seeing that clean NC-101X in Rob's pics along with the Meissner you snagged just makes me smile.  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »

Thanks for the photos Rob,
Now we have to see photos of the stuff "that followed you home"

Fred

Joe, good luck with the restoration.  Those Temco rigs look like they were so well made that there may not be much needed I bet.  I hope that is the case.

Fred,  I didn't come home with anything to show off.  I got parts and that was it.  I got a nice 4-1000A for $75.  Nothing to really ooh and ahh over.   But, I got a nice big National two section bread slicer 80 to 200+ pF cap.  I got some very good looking meters including a 3A RF thermocouple amp meter and W9SWR gave me a Xerox VOM.  I got a box of relays.  Nothing in a cabinet except for the VOM.

Todd, who is Larry VRN?  searched the call sign database for anything VRN but didn't turn anyone up I knew.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W9RAN

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 11:37:16 PM »

Todd's off by one letter... (at least!)  He means my buddy Larry WA9VRH from near Peoria, a practitioner of  PW AM with his trusty Gonset G-76 that you'll hear on most of the AM nets around the midwest.  Larry is also the guy who has scanned and touched-up all the Collins documentation that is available from the CCA Archives (we have a real thing about BAMA schematics that were scanned at 50 DPI!) and coordinator of the Collins AM Night nets.  More importantly,  he's the Master of the Magic Smoke that produces the highly scrumptious Smoked Prime Rib at the Princeton and Peoria Hamfests every year.   As Rodger and others will testify, it's not to be missed, and good reason to make a one-day hamfest into a two-day party!  Our Motto:  "Larry's meat, can't be beat!"

It was a great time at the Hamboree, and good to meet Rob and several others for the first time.    Anyone who'll be at the Peoria Superfest in Sept., give me a holler and we'll get you on the list.

I was really restrained and only brought home a couple of small items.  Something about the WRR-2 I'll be picking up in a couple of weeks, maybe...

73, Bob W9RAN
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 12:17:55 AM »

I was really restrained and only brought home a couple of small items.  Something about the WRR-2 I'll be picking up in a couple of weeks, maybe...

73, Bob W9RAN

Oh boy, get ready for some fun with that one, Bob!

A very, very cool and impressive receiver.  Chances are the synth is gonna need re-alignment.  Not too hard, with a scope and freq counter, but very time consuming.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA3VJB
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 05:11:20 AM »

Isn't the WRR-2 also known as the AN/FRR/59  ?  

I had a 59B made by Arvin, and John's right, it's very heavy impressive.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 11:44:11 AM »

Todd's off by one letter... (at least!)  He means my buddy Larry WA9VRH from near Peoria, a practitioner of  PW AM with his trusty Gonset G-76 that you'll hear on most of the AM nets around the midwest.  Larry is also the guy who has scanned and touched-up all the Collins documentation that is available from the CCA Archives

That's him! I really need to pay more attention when I type. Larry is indeed a fine fellow, and I owe him big time for the manual copies and CDs he's sent me over the years. From the 212A to the 21E, Larry is da MAN.

Wowsers, your condition is far more advanced than I had though, Bob. Then again, considering the big speakers in your basement, it was just a matter of time. Grin

Have fun with it!

73, Bob W9RAN
[/quote]

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »

Yep, WRR-2 and the FRR-59 a pretty much the same except the mounting assemblies, I understand.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 12:50:44 PM »

And there is a WRR-2A.

Carl
Lou W9LRS
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »

Great time. Here is a link to more pix of the Hamboree.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike.saeger/Hamboree2010?feat=directlink#

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »

Lou, thanks--some gear in those photos of yours I missed seeing.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Lou W9LRS
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 03:00:46 PM »

Those additional pix are from Mike N9MS.. I should have credited  him on the original post.

Lou
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015