The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:15:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: National NC-2-40D  (Read 27582 times)
sndtubes
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 12:28:50 AM »

This thread got me so worked up, I had to hook up my NC 2-40D and try it out.  I was actually crazy enough to make a QSO with it on 40 CW tonight.  I used the Viking II as the TX.  They worked GREAT.  After about 15 minutes of warmup, it barely drifted.  I was able to copy the station I was working.....and everyone else on 40 CW (at the same time).  But, hey, it was a blast driving the old stuff! 

I'd love to get my hands on a really nice SX28/A someday......

Boatanchors forever.

WQ9E

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 07:50:44 AM »

The crystal filter in the NC-2-40-D works great on CW if the IF is properly aligned (it probably isn't if it hasn't been touched up in the last 10 years).  You may also need to clean the crystal itself if it doesn't provide a good response.  The older HRO manuals provided instructions but basically you disassemble the crystal holder and clean everything with isopropyl alcohol and wipe it dry with a clean paper towel/cloth.  Handle the crystal element by the edges and use the paper towel to hold it by the edges after cleaning.

After reassembly you can use your signal generator and scope (or sensitive RF voltmeter) to make sure it works.  Hook the crystal between the hot lead of your generator and the input to the scope, tie grounds together.  You should see a sharp peak when you tune the generator through the crystal frequency.  After reinstalling in receiver, carefully tune your signal generator for the crystal peak and then align the IF on that frequency.  The crystal filter will give you nice single signal CW.

Happy CWing Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015