The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:44:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plug-in, self-contained product detector for the 51J series.  (Read 2907 times)
Ed-VA3ES

« on: June 02, 2010, 10:26:21 AM »

I just posted a detailed  informational link over on the Receivers forum:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=24308.0

This link describes a fully self-contained, plug-in product detector for the 51J series.   Comes fully built up.   See more over at
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=24308.0
or  go to
http://www.treetopcircuits.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PD3

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
sndtubes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I'm using one of these product detectors in my 51J-4 and it works very well.  Does the 51J-4 perform like a 75A-4.  NO.  But for a very simple, cheap and reversable mod, it's great.  This PD is a very worthwhile addition and vastly improves the CW/SSB performance of a 51J series receiver. 

My criticisim would be that  the 51J has a lot of background hiss and noise compared to the 75A4 when using it in the SSB mode.  My guess is that the problem lies in the mixer, not the product detector.  The only thing I'd like to see with this product detector is a fast/slow speed which as I understand it is complicated, so it's absence is not that big of a deal.

But in conclusion, TWO THUMBS UP FOR THIS PRODUCT!!

Mike WB0SND
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »

I saw that on Fleabay. I was wondering how it worked.  I wish they would offer more of this type of kit for SP600 and R390 ect..

C
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:37:44 PM »

My criticisim would be that  the 51J has a lot of background hiss and noise compared to the 75A4 when using it in the SSB mode.  My guess is that the problem lies in the mixer, not the product detector.  The only thing I'd like to see with this product detector is a fast/slow speed which as I understand it is complicated, so it's absence is not that big of a deal.

But in conclusion, TWO THUMBS UP FOR THIS PRODUCT!!

Mike WB0SND

Inadequate filtering of the output of the product detector, I'd bet.  Look for remaining 500 KC components at its output with a scope.

If you can live without an IF output jack, using the existing 1/2 12AU7 IF out cathode follower as a product detector is a very easy mod.  Almost all the work is done for you, just run BFO into it, add a few resistors and caps, and run audio up to the AM/CW switch (which requires dropping the front panel) to switch the audio.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015