The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:27:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Usefull tool.  (Read 25799 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: June 01, 2010, 10:57:22 AM »

the attachment is an excel spreadsheet that I have worked up over the years for homebrew design or radio related work.  I find that pluging and chugging with a calculator is tedious, and this allows the iterative approach to go simpler, enter data and see what happens, tweak to your hearts content.

Posted here so that anyone who wants to can use it/modify etc.  Kinda like an open source project.  Not finished really, there's always more usefull stuff that can be added.

It's not original work - it's all right out of handbooks and references for formulas etc.  I just put them all together for ease of use.

Take a look and use it if you'd like, or not.

Works up, Inductancs for solenoid or spider web coils, resonance calcs (tank circuits), Antenna stuff (I particularly like that bit), feedline stuff, probably more.

No garauntees, warantees expressed or implied etc.  

* Electronics worksheet.xls (310 KB - downloaded 996 times.)
* Electronics worksheet.xls (377.5 KB - downloaded 901 times.)

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 12:26:05 PM »

No garauntees, warantees expressed or implied etc.   

I want my money back.

Seriously, very nice Ed, TNX!  Mind if I move this to the Handbook section after we give some people a chance to comment?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 01:14:05 PM »

Go for it.   if there's any feed back and I can make fixes if required/necessary.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 02:03:18 PM »

One thing I'd like to see is given a L or C and a required freq range, calculate the unknown.

The graph feature is *really* nice, you can fiddle with the component values for a straight line.  AFAIK there's no other online calc that does this.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »

Ok, I added a tab for finding the missing component value in LC circuits. Right now it's just working for single value components, but I'll make it so you can
Input Variable capacitance range, Frequency range or Inductor value and get the unknown value out.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:14:42 PM »

One of the real tedious parts of building a VFO, given your junkbox variable cap and/or nice junkbox coil, is messing around with the cap range, trimmers, padders, etc to get it to tune the range you want.  I've done this with a LOT of calculation, trial//error, etc.  Then it seems you get the range you want but it's not at all linear.

That's a HUGE timesaver for oscillator building, Ed, many many thanks!

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:33:08 AM »

Running an OS that doesn't handle .xls files?  try this:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aq6pf08CkA6jdHNaaUdxUHdsUjcyTkJoazd6WmNSbUE&hl=en

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 10:30:48 AM »

Nice work Ed. Now please add calculations for adding bandspread to LC coils. Doing that manually drives me nuts. Grin

Carl
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 11:45:47 AM »

I'd like a tab for making the best cup of coffee, too Smiley

Seriously, nice spreadsheet!

--Shane
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 11:52:30 AM »

Ok, cool.   I added the LC solver tab.  I'll work up the band spread solver next.

When that's done I'll repost the latest revision for review.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »

Grin  Aren't you glad you posted this, Ed?   

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 03:58:05 PM »

I love a challenge...

I'm still working the coffee algorythms from the previous post Smiley

Actually, if people use it, it was worth it!

But I do have a new appreciation for the guys who made up all those slide rule and chart type "aids".

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 03:01:29 PM »

Ok, The updated sheet is posted.  I added it to the first post thinking it would replace the previous rev and save space.

Anyway, download the bigger file and Rock-N-Roll!

I would ask that if someone makes additions or upgrades to also post what was added. 

One thing, the analysis tool pack add in has to be used for the antenna/feedline tab to work right as it uses complex numbes in the impedance calculations.  If you don't want to use it, no worries.

Enjoy.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 11:07:15 PM »

TNX again, Ed, I'll move it over to the Hints and Kinks section in the Handbook forum once discussion settles down.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 08:09:55 AM »

Fantastic Job Ed.  Thanks for taking the time to pull everything together in a nice format to use.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 09:12:56 AM »

Thanks Ed, Ive already solved several problems with it!

How about the series configuration and tapped coil version? Or is this getting too complicated?

Carl
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 11:58:53 AM »

ED !!!!! Very nice
TNX
And I'll wait a few days for the final version........hi........... before I download
Very useful indeed

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015