The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:38:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meter Identity  (Read 2206 times)
ashart
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:49:47 AM »

When I was a small boy, my dad (the late VE1MZ) was anxious to get me interested in ham radio.  He did succeed, but I've one memory that I'd like to address.  I destroyed (among many other of dad's things, I fear) a really nice VOM that dad had.  Something about trying to measure the internal resistance of a 45 volt battery by using the R x 1 scale, as I recall!  Well, at least being only 7 or 8, I didn't get spanked.

This VOM was a "palm-size" unit, something like a half of a Simpson 260.  Many meters are made in that size, but I don't know a common descriptive name.

The unususl thing about the ruined meter, was that it had a small window in the lower part of its front panel, to show the operating scale, and a turret arrangement for its different scales.  There was a knob on its right side that rotated the turret, and by that rotation the various volts, milliamperes, and ohms scales, would appear in the window.

I'd love to find one of those meters just as a nice memory, so Id be grateful if one of you old old timers, or a collector, could tell me the make or model of that VOM so I could try to find one.

Tnx es 73.

al hart
w8vr

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »

Simpson RotoRanger?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »

Very cool meter JN! Never saw one of those before.

Rodger WQ9E
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:14:05 PM »

It's a Simpson 260 with a rotating scale.  I think I still have mine around somewhere.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015