The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:17:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A FLEX problem DISregard TNX  (Read 6336 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: May 15, 2010, 10:21:25 AM »

My Flex 1000 has a problem keying the amplifier for 20M. Typical computer control of every little nuance of normal radio operation. You can select which bands you want the FLEX to key an amplifier. When I purchased, apparently there was a previous problem of defective keying. And was instructed to use another set of "contacts".
Looking at the keying line with a DVM, the FLEX does not provide a closure like a relay so, that's why I'm thinking NO RELAY.  It looks like the device to be keyed pulls down a small collector voltage provided by the FLEX. Usually with electronic keying you can pull down 500ma without a problem. Is my thinking still viable?
I'll have to do some deep research, hopefully find some schematics. Can anyone here give me a quick start to find the area where the keying takes place?
I hope it's discreet transistors that are making this happen and not some IC chip.
On the setup screen you can select 6 contacts on the DB15 to give keying for all of the HAM bands. That would be a lot of components. I haven't popped the lid yet............I'm afraid!

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
ka3zlr
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:24:50 AM »

What kind of Amp Fred..?

Jack.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 12:55:18 PM »

Hi Jack it's the Titan amp.
The amp is keying up on all of the bands except 20M.
Looking at my DVM on the keying line from the FLEX there is no voltage as there is on the other bands (.6 volts). The problem is not amp but the FLEX.
In fact I just did a test where I supplied the ground for key-up and the amplifier did its thing.
Thanks
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 03:01:50 PM »

I took the FLEX apart and GAWD awful technology in there. PCB's sandwiched on top of each other....and reading in their website, they warn of using an external relay to do the heavy duty stuff. Their PTT is not up to the task.
Soooooooooooo, I'm going to key the amplifer from the station PTT and to hell with the FLEX weakness.
I'll EDIT the SUBJECT.........DISregard TNX

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »

hmmm that does not sound sound very smug to me phred.   Cheesy

gonna be some hatin  Roll Eyes
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »

Not a Problem Fred,

It's just interesting why that's doing that, I wonder if there is a port assignment missing
if it's not preset it doesn't get assigned, there for, no voltage no activity.

But anyhow ok FB issue is closed.

Jack.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 04:11:33 PM »

Could you imagine when I get more into "old fart-dom" that a minor software glitch or some miniscule thing doesn't work, I'll go out of my mind trying to finger it out.
Jack, you can assign which bands to you want the flex to key an external amp. and there are more pins to choose from. The little bit I saw in there, it looks like they chose an I.C. to represent many "Darlington amps" for this task.
No Tim, Not hatin' it yet. Can't turn back now

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 07:17:47 PM »

Just use a buffer relay.  I made one that is powered by a 9 volt wall wart.  This way, Any of my 8 or 10 amps I own, always get keyed at low voltage.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:53:59 PM »

Could you imagine when I get more into "old fart-dom" that a minor software glitch or some miniscule thing doesn't work, I'll go out of my mind trying to finger it out.

Fred, this is one reason why I am moving into boatanchordom.   padadaptors  are flying off the shelves.  rigs with them are flying also.  Eventually everyone will have one except for me.  then I can simply call CQ and someone will find me so I have no need for a panadapter myself.   Grin

rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:46:46 PM »

Fred,

I'm running the same setup and don't have any issue with the flex keying the titan directly. The titan has a relay inside already running on 24 volts if I recall and the switching in the flex can handle 50 volts at 500 ma I think. You'll want to double check because I'm not sure I trust my memory.

If I understand correctly, is it working on the other bands? It may be that you don't have the relay control set to be operable on the 20 meter band? I'm not in front of the flex now but I think that you can select which bands the amplifier keying is active on and which line it's on. My guess if it's band specific that the box that needs to be checked for 20 meters isn't checked.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
w1vtp

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:25:23 AM »

I haven't figured out whether it is the older SDR-1000 or the newer Flex 1500.  Sounds to me like either a call to Dudley at Flex-Radio is in order or some careful reading of the manual would help

Guess I'll have to read the manual for my Flex 5000 even tho' there is no problem keying from band to band.  It is a complicated beast

Yet another approach would be to ask experienced SDR-1000 users. WA3JBT, Frank, WB2CAU Eric come immediately to mind.  I'm sure there are others.  But they have been very helpful with me.

GL es 73, Al
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »

Fred,

I'm running the same setup and don't have any issue with the flex keying the titan directly. The titan has a relay inside already running on 24 volts if I recall and the switching in the flex can handle 50 volts at 500 ma I think. You'll want to double check because I'm not sure I trust my memory.

If I understand correctly, is it working on the other bands? It may be that you don't have the relay control set to be operable on the 20 meter band? I'm not in front of the flex now but I think that you can select which bands the amplifier keying is active on and which line it's on. My guess if it's band specific that the box that needs to be checked for 20 meters isn't checked.
The bands I want FLEX to key up are checked. They all work except 20M.
Something happened to my FLEX in it's early life. I was advised to program and use another contact for PTT.

I am keying the Titan from the station PTT. I don't feel like challenging the FLEX hardware. Software is ok. This is a hardware problem and I think that saying "No user serviceable parts inside" prevails. Would you want to tackle the mess inside ? Those are throw-away boards.

YUP complicated but the interfaces available like virtual audio cables and commOcomm allow me use FLEX with Ham Radio Deluxe software. Digital modes and more.....Without complicated cables or messing around with serial ports. I think it's all in the software. The hardware might be very generic and everyday....doesn't have to be exotic, I guess.....the magic comes from your computer!!!

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 11:06:33 PM »

I am keying the Titan from the station PTT. I don't feel like challenging the FLEX hardware. Software is ok. This is a hardware problem and I think that saying "No user serviceable parts inside" prevails. Would you want to tackle the mess inside ? Those are throw-away boards.

Actually the SDR-1000 I bought used did turn out to have a hardware problem - the drive for the bandswitching relays was messed up and it wouldn't calibrate on most bands. I had to take apart the stack of boards and find the issue (turned out to be a fleck of material between two pins on one of the SMT parts) and reassemble and recalibrate the whole assembly. It was sort of daunting to get into it, but turned out not to be so bad. Those head mounted magnifiers are a life saver for this kind of stuff.

Using one of the other lines on the connector would have been pretty easy too, but if you have a working solution there's no need to get into it. Might have turned out to have a similar issue.

BTW, thanks for the encouragement when I was looking into getting the SDR-1000. I'm loving it! I really like the visual capabilities, the ability to see what's going on around you and adjust the filters just so to deal with it.

Glad you came up with a good work around.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
w1vtp

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 12:05:02 PM »

Actually the SDR-1000 I bought used did turn out to have a hardware problem -<SNIP>

You're not the first person I've hear that had a problem with solder connection - internal connection problems.  One person I know has his power jump up and down.  He took the SDR-1000 apart more than once to debug the problem.

GL

Al
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 11:06:09 AM »

Apparently the major problem is the way the boards stack on the connector that passes through all 4 of them. The fellow I bought mine from actually re-engineered the connector assembly and replaced it, but in the process, a fleck of solder apparently came to rest between a couple of the output pins on one of the latches that takes the data from the parallel port and feeds it to the relays.

It worked fine for a while, then flaked out, and would get better if you applied pressure to the board on the top. He was willing to have me ship it back to him for troubleshooting or let me bail out of the deal, but I figured I could take a look and see if it was something simple. Fortunately it was.

I really enjoy using the Flex radio. Now when I'm using something conventional, I feel 'blind' in that I can't see what is going on around me.

Does that make me smug?  Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »

Apparently the major problem is the way the boards stack on the connector that passes through all 4 of them. The fellow I bought mine from actually re-engineered the connector assembly and replaced it, but in the process, a fleck of solder apparently came to rest between a couple of the output pins on one of the latches that takes the data from the parallel port and feeds it to the relays.

It worked fine for a while, then flaked out, and would get better if you applied pressure to the board on the top. He was willing to have me ship it back to him for troubleshooting or let me bail out of the deal, but I figured I could take a look and see if it was something simple. Fortunately it was.

I really enjoy using the Flex radio. Now when I'm using something conventional, I feel 'blind' in that I can't see what is going on around me.

Does that make me smug?  Grin

Very SMUG indeed!!! It is a very visual experience and then you know the solution to interference during a QSO and can make the weak station come out of the garbage. Adjusting  BW...."moving" the IF a little, etc, etc. I know, I know, a TS440 can do the same thing.......but I can do it FASTER with FLEX!!!!hi!

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015