The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:29:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is interesting in Audio  (Read 3269 times)
ka3zlr
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »

Never seen this one before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acrosound-TO-300-Ultra-Linear-Transformer-/110521682063?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bb9b088f

What did it go with a record player system..?

Jack.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »

A good 20 watt amp. That transformer makes a lot of difference. Might have gone to a hi-fi set. Needs a preamp, for the record player, volume, bass, treble, etc.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:23:44 PM »

YUP it's just the power amplifier end of an audio system. The cable goes to an external power supply. Acrosound was nice stuff.
Brian, I would love a couple of MC 60's. The other Mac piece you have in the ebay link is not worth $1500.
Nothing could come close for pure audio as the McIntosh. FLAT response minimal distortion good from 10hz to 100kc FLAT at full power. Hard to beat those REAL specs.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:24:02 PM »

Jack,

The TO-300 is a fairly common transformer...

I may be mistaken but the Heath WM-4 may have used them... the amp in the auction looks very similar to the WM-4, iirc.

Of greater interest are the larger ACRO UL-60 (hope I have the number right) and the ST-120 which is a dual UL-60 on one chassis.

Ultra Linear is not "triode" exactly... there is a good write-up on Ultra Linear operation in Radiotron Designer's Handbook.

McIntosh is very different than all other common output designs, for a number of reasons. The biggest one is that it is unity gain. All others are not. (ok there are some exceptions...) The frequency response of the McIntosh is due in large measure to the way the output windings are configured - again Radiotron explains it nicely. But they do use feedback in the commercial version of the circuit...

Building today, I'd go true triode... Cheesy

The idea of modulating the screens via a capacitive coupling is interesting... but a bit depends on how the screens actually work. If they draw current like a grid in AB2 or A2, then that won't work exactly the way one might expect... also the capacitive tap may cause some interactions between the screen supply and the plate supply... interesting though. Not sure I have seen this done anywhere...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 12:41:47 AM »

Some of the transformers had a separate screen winding so that the plate volts could be run up to 600 (6550's) and the screens kept at a resonable 300. Those were able to push the 100 watts, where the tapped winding transformer scheme had to run lower voltages on the tubes to avoid destroying the screens, such as the dynaco's, making 60W from a pair.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015