The AM Forum
June 26, 2024, 03:13:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer Park Hams Gone Wild  (Read 14311 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: May 12, 2010, 12:29:21 PM »

Police: Woman made threats using ham radio

By CHARLES HAND/The Valley Chronicle
Published: Friday, May 7, 2010 1:52 PM CDT
A San Jacinto woman was caught only 30 hours after she began using her ham radio to broadcast threatening messages to Hemet police officers and Riverside County Fire Department firefighters over official radio frequencies and otherwise disrupting communications.

According to a statement from Hemet police Lt. Mark Richards, Irene Marie Levy, 29, was arrested just after midnight Monday after she had made at least one bomb threat and multiple references to death of Hemet police officers and firefighters.

The county fire department has stations in the valley and is the fire department for San Jacinto under a contract with the California Department of Forestry.

The broadcasts were not linked to the series of attacks against the Hemet-San Jacinto Gang Task Force, said Richards.

Levy began broadcasting from her mobile home in the 900 block of South Grand Avenue sometime Saturday night and continued intermittently until her arrest 30 hours later.

Richards said she broadcast threats and reference to police officer and firefighter deaths randomly on frequencies used by police and the fire department.

She also interrupted radio communication Sunday afternoon and night during a fire department search-and-rescue call, a vegetation fire, and traffic accident in Hemet Sunday afternoon and evening.

She made the bomb threat during the early morning hours of Sunday, Richards said.

Levy made herself sound like a man during her illegal transmissions, according to Richards.

Fire communications technicians formed a task force equipped with radio direction finders to search for the source of the broadcasts.

Technicians from the Riverside Police Department were asked to join the search because they have had experience with the search techniques, called triangulation in reference to its pinpointing the source of radio signals by detecting them from three points on the compass.

Since the transmissions were sporadic, they were difficult to locate.

After launching her threatening transmissions on fire frequencies, she expanded them to the Hemet police radio frequency Sunday morning, Richards said.

During one of the Hemet police radio frequency interruptions on Sunday evening, Levy allegedly boasted that the police would never find her.

Late Sunday, Levy’s location was pinpointed and law enforcement officers approached Levy’s mobile home as she made a transmission on the Hemet police frequency, Richards said.

They arrived at her front door just as she finished what would be her last transmission.

Hemet investigators seized 11 radios, seven radio frequency scanners, radio frequency lists, computer equipment, and other radio equipment from Levy’s home.

Police also seized Levy’s ham radio license, which was issued by the Federal Communications Commission in September.

Levy was booked into jail at the Hemet police station on charges of making terrorist threats; false bomb threat; and maliciously interrupting, disrupting, impeding, or interfering with the transmission of a public safety radio frequency.

Levy remained in jail at the Southwest Justice Center on $50,000 bail Wednesday.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »

Now you know why my wifes uncle and family moved out of Hemet Wink
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:48:35 PM »

Another new high quality EmCom wacker tech  Sad 

Hmm, lower the entrance requirements and standards and what do you get???

Rodger WQ9E
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »

I wonder  Roll Eyes what exactly would cause someone to raise such a Havoc,.. upset with the poolice much..? hmmmm.

Jack.
WB3JOK

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »

Maybe she can become pen-pals with ex-KG6IRO  Grin
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:06:04 PM »

Too funny !

Yah know, this could provide material for another  "Geek" episode.

Oh - and she's in the callbook.

KJ6CEY / Technician

Irene M Levy

913 S Grand Ave Sp 91

San Jacinto, CA 92582
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »

Don't trust anyone over....... "KC" in the prefix... Grin

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »

Don't trust anyone over "KC" in the prefix... Grin

Gee Thanks.....

KA1ZGC
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »

Oh - and she's in the callbook.

That's a neat trick, since they stopped printing callbooks at least 15 years ago.

It almost seems strange that such a large majority of licensed nutjobs are in California, until you consider the fact that at least 66% of the population of California fits that description, with or without a license.
KC9GMF

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 03:27:46 PM »

ya, thanks alot

And this comes from someone using "pills" in his rig Grin

10-4 good buddy

Tom

KA1ZGC
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 03:33:08 PM »

ya, thanks alot

He said "over". "KC" is not over "KC".
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »

Gee, I'm headed out that way soon. I should be able to get the real story from some local hams I know.
KC9GMF

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 04:00:57 PM »

ok, "over" KC, so I'm ok. A KC in his late 50's (late bloomer)

And Rico is a cool rig.

Tom

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »

OK, OK -  Maybe I'm being a little too hard on you boys.  We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. How about if we change it to, "Never trust anyone with a W, K or N in the prefix with the exception of KF1's, KC9's and K1's unless they live on S Grand Ave in San Jacinto, CA "   ?? Wink

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »

I just spent two days driving in the Ma. ahole and can tell you there are plenty of nut jobs on the roads.
k3zrf

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »

wonder if 'she' had that genetic 3rd BA?

Levy made herself sound like a man during her illegal transmissions, according to Richards.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
ka3zlr
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »

Harmoanal disorder maybe.. Cool

Jack.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »

OK, OK -  Maybe I'm being a little too hard on you boys.  We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. How about if we change it to, "Never trust anyone with a W, K or N in the prefix with the exception of KF1's, KC9's and K1's unless they live on S Grand Ave in San Jacinto, CA "   ?? Wink

Ok Tom...
I'll let it slide with that....

Not that I can be trusted.. of course....

But it's the point of the thing....   Grin

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 07:36:27 PM »

No kids, no lids, no "K" calls, no space cadets.  Shocked Grin

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »

I am really tired of getting so much respect. From now on I'll use my GRTO lic # and pretend I work for a small AM station owned by a big corporation. Then I can be sure of not getting the respect I don't deserve.

I have a hard time believing someone as stupid as the perpetrator could even use a radio appliance. If one is going to threaten and revile people from a trailer park base station, there is a proper radio service for that activity.

Radio Candelstein
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »

In my opinion, what she did is a modified form of "going postal.'  Her acts may not be for the same reasons, but they're probably generated by current socio-economics. People will continue to get nastier and more violent as this whirl-wide bear market plays itself out. Taken to extreme, people who get pushed around by government, employers, police - or lose jobs, houses and other assets feel like they have nothing to lose and strike out.

I wonder if there is anyone among us who has not had fleeting 'going postal' thoughts after a run in with the government?  Sometimes these new wave robo-agent types PO me too... Grin  

We will probably see more and more of this type of news. Out of six? billion people in the whirl, even if only 0.001% freak out, that's still 60,000 potential terminators. (1 in 100,000)

T

ka3zlr
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »

Carlin said it best " here's a moronic thing I do it's called thinking " folks are losing touch man.

Jack.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 11:43:21 PM »

Its called ICE.  Or METH.  Or Crystal Meth.   Hemet is the Meth capitol of the US.

C
KA2DZT

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 02:57:59 AM »

Or, only runs 51 watts and has a KA call Cool
Superhet66
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 10:05:23 AM »

I think the title of this thread needs to be copyrighted.
I laugh every time I see it. It would be even funnier if the contents weren't so bizzare.

( Loosley related but funny vid links for your morning coffee )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XGKgZgITGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMGz3sEch7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVlldW9FBH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYJOry0mwe4

* redneck RF weenie roast.jpg (3.21 KB, 133x107 - viewed 477 times.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015