The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:20:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More findings from the catacombs  (Read 5595 times)
w1vtp

« on: May 04, 2010, 09:45:35 PM »

Still trying to clean out the garage in anticipation of my new shop.  Ran across some history from my teen past.  Left to right - a 1625 from an ARC-5 that I basically wrecked trying to modify.  Next two tubes are 811(s - not the A) - from my old Eldico TR1.  Then the 813 from that rig.  Two of those 866A(s) went to that power supply.  Dang! This is bringing back memories.  I was 16 at the time.

Al

* old tubes.jpg (1376.58 KB, 1999x823 - viewed 423 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:28:27 PM »

Man! those are some nice looking tubes! I'm afraid my earliest tube fiddlings were from a couple of All-American Fives my dad bought me at a flea market for 50 cents each. must have been nine or so.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w1vtp

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:40:58 AM »

Man! those are some nice looking tubes! I'm afraid my earliest tube fiddlings were from a couple of All-American Fives my dad bought me at a flea market for 50 cents each. must have been nine or so.

Hi

I'd be interested in how best to bring those 866As back to life.  I'm considering hooking up a 2.5 volt filament xfmr and letting each one cook just on the fils then take a relatively low voltage transformer just to overcome the E loss and enough to fire the tube and letting it cook at, say, 100 ma or so - bring it up on a variac to get the current flowing.  Do that for 24 hrs and then store them properly.  Later, I might get into some sort of high voltage setup to finalize the cooking process.  Thoughts?

I have a bunch of 866As now.  I pulled them out of service when I went solid state and they were working when I pulled them.  None have that coating pealing off on the anodes.

Al
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:22:57 AM »

The Eimac data sheet says 30 minutes of filament only when first installed.  I don't see any value in 'conditioning' then storing them... you will need to do it again unless you are sure the tube will always be upright until installed. 
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »

It's becoming a race to the finish.  The old garage is about to become history.  Got a call from the contractor just now.  The electrician is coming Monday to disconnect the mains -- the dumpster will be deposited on the driveway & the demolish person will start smashing and dumping into the dumpster.  The whole thing will be history by day's end

Dang!
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 02:25:36 PM »

Please take a jpeg and post it of the OLD building!

Then post a jpeg of the NEW building!!

Thanks!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »

Please take a jpeg and post it of the OLD building!

Then post a jpeg of the NEW building!!

Thanks!

_-_-bear

Yes Bear.  I will do that

Meanwhile, my wife asked me what to do with an old box filled with crap and I said "throw it out."  Then she ignored me and found these beauties.  That tube in the unopened bag is a NOS 4X150.  The one with the chimney is a 4CX250.  Gosh! I've lost track of how many 813s I have

* old tubes(2).jpg (1747.25 KB, 1278x1686 - viewed 416 times.)

* 4x150.jpg (471.63 KB, 797x682 - viewed 401 times.)
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 06:23:30 AM »

Recently I found a 211 that has been collecting dust for 35+ years. It was tucked away on top of a heating duct. No idea what it was doing there. In my early novice days, my "friends" would take my novice band cw xtals (when we were not allowed to use vfo's) and hide them on me. Maybe they hid that 211? Who knows.

........Larry
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:15:37 AM »

Here's the old garage

* OLD GARAGE-SM.pdf (1830.09 KB - downloaded 241 times.)
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 07:11:41 AM »

Al,

You will be so happy with the new shack, and the re-organization of your assets. I find it amazing how WE sometimes lose track of time, and ownership of our possessions. Every item we collect has a story behind where we found it, how much we paid for it, and what we had in mind when we got it. Then somehow 30 years passes, and those memories of each story are often lost such that opening that box results in a glimpse into the past such that we just might have absolutely no idea why we collected this or that.

So Al, you are not alone when it comes to losing track of your possessions. I think it is helpful to move QTH's every 5-10 years. I sure need to lighten the load here...

Jim
WD5JKO
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:23:14 AM »

Recently I found a 211 that has been collecting dust for 35+ years. It was tucked away on top of a heating duct. No idea what it was doing there.

That reminds me of the 211's I literally mined out of the ground sometime in the late 80's.  An old time ham's wife let me and a couple of friends pick through  his radio stuff after he went to a nursing home. He had come down with dementia and no longer remembered who she was, or anything about radio.

We rented a large U-Haul trailer and towed it with a pick-up.  Both vehicles were crammed full when we left, and that was our second trip up there.  Lotsa tubes and parts dating back through the 1930's. Some nice old books, too, which I had to air out to get rid of the smell of mouse urine.  Some  real treasures as well as some real junk.  

The local radio club shack-on-a-belt and plastic radio types had told the lady that no-one would be interested in that "old stuff" any more, and recommended that she find someone to haul it all to the dump (but thank God none of them were willing to help do the job).  Fortunately, we got in touch with her before she found anyone to haul it away and she told us to take anything we wanted, because that would make the job easier for whoever cleaned out the buildings for her.

She and her husband had moved out of their old wood frame house and moved into a little concrete block cottage they had build next to it, and the old termite-infested house became the storage building. Over the years, the floor in one of the rooms where he kept his tube collection had rotted out and fallen to the ground below, and gradually the wooden planks and cardboard tube cartons had mixed in with the soil and turned to dirt.

After we cleaned out the tubes that were still on shelves, one of my buddies noticed what looked like a glass tube envelope partially peering out of what had become the dirt floor. I dug it out, and it was a 211.  We dug around some more, and found over a dozen 211's buried in the soil.  The metal bases and tube pins were heavily corroded, but the glass was intact. I took  them home and cleaned them with soap and water and steel wool.  The only permanent damage was etched spots on the metal base.

My HF-300 rig uses a 211 stage to drive the finals.  I used it to test the "mined" 211's.  I would let each one run filament-only for a few hours, then  gradually apply grid drive and plate voltage, per the recommendations of RCA.  Only a couple of the tubes were duds.  The rest had as much or more emission and output than most of the spares I already had. I still have most of those tubes in my spares closet and they still check good.

Audiophools, eat your heart out!   Grin

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015