The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:50:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEARFESTER is jam packed!  (Read 12301 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: May 01, 2010, 12:09:03 AM »

Great weather, tomorrow (sat) is going to be better...

Lots of stuff, most sold fast... still more stuff left...

Ok, FB dinner with about 30 folks! pix to come... stay tuned!

Grin Grin

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
w1vtp

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »

I did good this year.  Picked up a Viking II yesterday.  Today I connected with a Hallicrafters SX-73 (actually military version)

So my boatanchor station is complete.  Met a lot of my friends - life is good

Al
Detroit47

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 03:55:18 PM »

I've never been to Nearfester how does it compare to Dayton or Fort Wayne?

73 N8QPC
W1QWT

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 06:56:14 PM »

Yes Nearfest was very good this time with summer like wx.
On Friday it was my birthday and Trimtron wished me a happy birthday by
playing it on his nose. Some people might not realize that the Tron is a
world reknowned nose player. It is not an easy instrument to master.
I heard  that he once went on tour and opened
for some well known bands.
Thanks Tim for the birthday wishes.
Q
See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoB1TJeHmYs

Regards, Q, W1QWT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 06:57:53 PM »

Then there was Lucy and Ricky on the Segway testing the the software and hardware balance/motion control
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »

It was a great one. It was well attended, the weather was spectacular, there was lots of good stuff to drag home and it was great to see so many people from AMfone. Oddly, 3 different people came up to me and introduced themselves as WB3HUZ. I figure the real one was the guy being tailed by all the paparazzi. Even stranger was that half a dozen different people claimed to be K1JJ. I still can't figure out why they'd actually voluntarily choose to be a JJ poser???

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:55:20 AM »

With JJ in drag I didnt recognize him for the 2nd Nearfest Roll Eyes

Great show but sort of slim pickins as far as big stuff, the only big radio I saw that I didnt own was the JX-17 next to the SX-73/R-274. I still cant get any interest up in a SP-600.  You will love the SX-73 performance; it is built unlike any other Halli radio, IOW it doesnt look like their usual assembled from catalog parts junk.

I saw a HQ-129X with a new panel, nice interior and a repaint over a rough cabinet for $225. Off by the road fence later there was another that looked identical right down to the cover scratch. That one followed me home for $75 as the chassis is better than the one Ive been using; its also been recapped and many new resistors.

I picked up lots of stuff for building and my own and customer refurb. Great prices for NIB receiving tubes, Miller & Meissner IF's and stuff and other bit parts.

Added a few more ARRL and West Coast HB's to the collection and the RCA HB-3 reference set.

Got a so-so cabinet WRL 755 VFO to go with the Globe Scout 90 and a Heath SB-10 since it was too cheap to pass up. Couldnt pass up a clean HP-606A for $40 on Saturday late and a $80 Tek 465 from a known reliable source....my R7904 recently crapped out so I was on the hunt for a replacement. For 2 generator receiver tests the 606A's are better than the HP-8640B IMO plus mine just started to get the crap out syndrome of plastic gears. Im getting tired of having to constantly having to fix test equipment and find the older stuff much better; overhaul once and they run for another 40-50 years.

Carl
KM1H

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:30:39 AM »

I saw a HQ-129X with a new panel, nice interior and a repaint over a rough cabinet for $225. Off by the road fence later there was another that looked identical right down to the cover scratch. That one followed me home for $75 as the chassis is better than the one Ive been using; its also been recapped and many new resistors.

Carl
KM1H

Carl,

I was set up to sell right across from that HQ-129X you took home, and stared at it for a long time. I finally went over and asked a lot of questions about it and lifted the lid. It was a beauty, re-capped a few years ago, and cleaned up very nicely. I think you walked home with the buy of the flea market. By the time I finally got around to go over and make an offer, it was gone. Glad it went to someone who will enjoy it.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:33:39 AM »

Carl

Thanks for the encouraging word on the SX73.  I was looking for a 1952 fall edition to document my WN1VTP call sign but didn't see one.  Wonder how I'd go about getting one

Al
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »

It was a great time.
Set up with W1UX, K1VYU and N1OA
Saw Rob, HUZ ZV,Frank, Gary, Todd, Larry and others. Missed UJR if he finaly made it Sold the table clean and came home mostly with parts I need. Best find was all the parts of a real Texas Bug catcher for $25. Wanted to get one for the old truck which I hope to drive up with in the fall.
Anybody have tuning instructions for one. With the two coils - Base and middle I'm not sure how to go about it.
73 all and thanks to Mike and the crew for an excellent time
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »

Fantastic and well attended! Sold with mark WA1QHQ and we did very well. Saw three or 4 R390A's suddenly show up down in the lower section that most people do not visit on the way out Saturday afternoon.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 05:59:49 PM »

Thanks to Carl WA1KPD, I went home with a 75A-2...  I also picked up another DX-100. I'll put juice to it later this week..   Wish I could have stayed longer, but the time spent was great  -  Nice to Meet Dave from White Head Island with Paul KB1IAW -Steve

Steve - W1TAV
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 09:00:38 PM »

About 25 attended the AM Dinner, Friday night.

* amdinner.jpg (264.26 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 457 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »

Some shots of action at the fest.

1. A busy row. Multiply this by at least 20 to get a feel for the size of the fest.

2. K1JJ tests a blower.

3. Military radio group set up area.

* festscene4.jpg (259.88 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 455 times.)

* blowertest.jpg (275.67 KB, 1024x800 - viewed 487 times.)

* festmilarea.jpg (256.19 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 448 times.)
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 09:10:08 PM »

Carl

Thanks for the encouraging word on the SX73.  I was looking for a 1952 fall edition to document my WN1VTP call sign but didn't see one.  Wonder how I'd go about getting one

Al

Al, Im talking about Handbooks, I think youre after a Call Book? Ebay probably the easiest way to find one.

• Carl,

I was set up to sell right across from that HQ-129X you took home, and stared at it for a long time. I finally went over and asked a lot of questions about it and lifted the lid. It was a beauty, re-capped a few years ago, and cleaned up very nicely. I think you walked home with the buy of the flea market. By the time I finally got around to go over and make an offer, it was gone. Glad it went to someone who will enjoy it.

Rob W1AEX

Rob,

I was really suprised he took my low ball offer, he paid $150 for it a few years ago and never used it much. Heck the new panels alone sell for $50. The 129X was my first real radio in 1956 and I use it then with a Viking I and I replicated that setup 5 years ago when the AM bug bit again.

Carl
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 09:10:37 PM »

More shots.

1. The AMbassador spreading good will and cheer at the fest.

2. K1ANX giving a presentation on spy radios.

3. Motley crew including, W3GMS, WA1HLR, W1AEX and WA1KNX

* ambassador.jpg (246.42 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 460 times.)

* rancourt.jpg (253.74 KB, 1024x683 - viewed 442 times.)

* gang2.jpg (284.62 KB, 901x800 - viewed 505 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »

Man, It felt good to take a little nap this afternoon between projects.
All that walking and talking.
Nice to see everyone again.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 10:13:35 PM »

2. K1ANX giving a presentation on spy radios.

I see the windows are covered up.  That presentation must have been classified. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 12:19:04 PM »

I see the windows are covered up.  That presentation must have been classified. 

George's presentation was excellent, as usual. He had some very historically-interesting and rare gear on display that most folks will never see in their lifetime. He's also well-read and knows the history and people involved. Unfortunately I had to head over for the AM Dinner preps before his presentation was complete.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 02:54:22 PM »

AH, but did you get the loving couple on the Segway
wa2pjp

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »

But nothing compared to the Blond Bomb Shell handing out the flyers for Boxboruogh!
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »

5)  Dino looking FB

Dino,

Sorry we did not meet up in person, though I'm sure we crossed paths. I was there both Friday and Sat. I was just don the road a table or two from Todd and Steve.

Maybe in the Fall

Carl
WA1KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA1GFZ

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »

Joe,
She wasn't as hot as the eye candy though.
KB1IAW

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 07:03:23 AM »

Nice to Meet Dave from White Head Island with Paul KB1IAW -Steve

What a wonderful time! We finally managed to coax Dave, VE9AT and Anita off White Head Island for a visit for Near-Fest weekend. Dave and I spent Friday at the fester, saw dozens of friends and missed seeing several too. We met a couple guys from Fredricton, NB and PEI. It was nice to see so many hams from Canada who made the effort to attend. Saturday afternoon I took Dave over to Larry's house for a tour of the NE1S shack. I think Dave may have been a bit overwhelmed by it all but he's already making noises about attending in the fall.   Smiley

Below is a photo of Roger, KB1CMR and Dave, VE9AT at Near-Fest discussing vintage radio and beekeeping.

* Dave and Roger.jpg (546.28 KB, 2000x1500 - viewed 405 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015