The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:43:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey hey hey the Leagues new Web Space  (Read 18601 times)
ka3zlr
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »

It's pretty nice job.

Jack.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 05:36:40 PM »

Go here to view the ARRL AM web page:
http://www.arrl.org/am-phone-operating-and-activities
They're even looking for pictures of AM stations to post on the site. Send them some photos and become famous.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:39:35 PM »

Nice freshening-up there Steve.

Easy to look through.

It's pretty nice job.

Jack.

VA3AEX
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »

Initially I found it tough to navigate around (not that the old site was easier) although its growing on me. 

They need to fix multiple broken links as well as the search engine (try searching "construction amplifier tube 811A" in the ARRL Periodicals page and over a thousand pages come back) and search results are not condensed into a easy to read format.

Alex
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:47:18 PM »

I agree about it being hard to navigate.

I really don't much like it. It isn't much of an improvement as far as I see.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »

I thought it looked and feels like a new sports car.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 06:58:02 PM »

I've given it some time but my conclusion is I prefer the old web site. 

The new one does not seem to have as much information at a glance on the top page as the old one did.

Worse, there is something about the new pages that cause them to scroll sluggishly up and down with my browser, Firefox.  There is a scroll latency that is annoying.  The problem is probably with my PC's graphics processor but the point is that there was no problem with the old website.   There is something about the new one, more graphics or executables that slow things down.   The upshot for me is that I find myself visiting it even less than before and when I do, only long enough to check news. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 07:45:10 PM »

I've given it some time but my conclusion is I prefer the old web site. 

The new one does not seem to have as much information at a glance on the top page as the old one did.

Worse, there is something about the new pages that cause them to scroll sluggishly up and down with my browser, Firefox.  There is a scroll latency that is annoying.  The problem is probably with my PC's graphics processor but the point is that there was no problem with the old website.   There is something about the new one, more graphics or executables that slow things down.   The upshot for me is that I find myself visiting it even less than before and when I do, only long enough to check news. 

The old web site was probably done with some 90's Microsoft Frontpage or equivalent type web creation software. I see no scroll latency using Firefox or IE on any of my machines, but if you don't have a zippy graphics card, you might encounter some problems. I tried my old Toshiba laptop (97 or 98 vintage) which still runs Win98 SE and saw no problems viewing their site.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »

What happened to the QST and QEX archives?  I couldn't find the members only section either.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 11:28:39 PM »

What happened to the QST and QEX archives?  I couldn't find the members only section either.

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 11:59:54 PM »

I liked the old site better.  The large grey block in the middle with numbers never loaded for me. (opera browser).  Although when I refreshed, a picture showed for about half a second, so I guess somethings there... my security settings are pretty tight, maybe the script won't run.

Not a big deal to me as I don't use their web page for much anyway.  I hope they didn't have to pay too much for the new code for the site

"Updating" a web page, is like a woman changing her hair color.  Doesn't really do much, but it makes her feel better, and like a woman, it often just makes them trickier to deal with!

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »

Pete, you can apologize for the ARRL as is your wont, to your heart's content but  nothing changes the fact that the new ARRL website is inferior to the old one and flawed.  if you don't believe me run it against the W3C code validator http://validator.w3.org/ by giving it the ARRL URL.  I got 72 errors and 36 warnings.

If they had competent coding this would not happen.

Rob

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 05:54:44 PM »

Pete, you can apologize for the ARRL as is your wont, to your heart's content but  nothing changes the fact that the new ARRL website is inferior to the old one and flawed.  if you don't believe me run it against the W3C code validator http://validator.w3.org/ by giving it the ARRL URL.  I got 72 errors and 36 warnings.

If they had competent coding this would not happen.

Rob

I just did amazon.com and they have 1156 errors and 120 warnings. So what! How many errors and warnings did the old ARRL site have? Every site I tried with this code validator pop up with errors and/or warnings. I also have a bridge to sell.

ka3zlr
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »

I like it my new dell laptop has no problems or script errors...FB.
Access to my member area was no problem..I Don't know...

Jack.

K5WLF
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 11:38:34 PM »

I'm not in love with it. I find it hard to navigate and difficult to find what I'm looking for. From what they said, either on the old site or in QST (I can't remember), it took two years of working with an internet programming/consulting company. That's a lot of money spent on something that's barely usable. I'd rather have the old site back.

To quote Dirty Harry in "The Enforcer" -- "It's a hell of a price to pay for being stylish".

ldb
K5WLF

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 02:04:59 AM »

I'm not in love with it. I find it hard to navigate and difficult to find what I'm looking for. From what they said, either on the old site or in QST (I can't remember), it took two years of working with an internet programming/consulting company. That's a lot of money spent on something that's barely usable. I'd rather have the old site back.

To quote Dirty Harry in "The Enforcer" -- "It's a hell of a price to pay for being stylish".

ldb
K5WLF

Here ya go. Enjoy what's left of it  Grin
http://web.archive.org/web/20080725072602/http://www.arrl.org/

Or you can go back to the "good old days" of the 90's  Grin Grin
http://web.archive.org/web/19970124193214/http://www.arrl.org/

I like change. When things like web sites and other things don't change every so often, they get old, tired, and stale.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 01:46:19 PM »

I like change too when there is a good reason for it.  If the reason is "Oh I'm tired of looking at the old web site and want a new style" sorry that's not good enough.  A news and information website isn't an abstract painting or new car or some other work of art.  It is a tool that is used to get information for getting something done.  Sites like ARRL are not ends unto themselves, existing for entertainment.   Now its functionality is impaired.

If you like change for the hell of it, you can always write a script that randomizes every html page you get and everything your browser displays will be in continual flux and you'll be in nirvana. 

The new ARRL site looks like something that was developed by some gigantic committee, a guarantee for failure.

Rob

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 02:08:09 PM »

I like change too when there is a good reason for it.  If the reason is "Oh I'm tired of looking at the old web site and want a new style" sorry that's not good enough.  A news and information website isn't an abstract painting or new car or some other work of art.  It is a tool that is used to get information for getting something done.  Sites like ARRL are not ends unto themselves, existing for entertainment.   Now its functionality is impaired.

Rob

I think the new Web site now puts the focus on how we all use Amateur Radio instead of by various ARRL departments which was how the old site was configured. I see no functionality impairment here. I see as a step in the right direction.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 06:49:04 AM »

Rob said:
The new ARRL site looks like something that was developed by some gigantic committee, a guarantee for failure.

This is typical 'modus operandi' for the Newington gang!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
ka3zlr
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 10:15:54 AM »

Modus Oprandi lol  Grin

the boogie men and women sit in a dark misty little corner up there rolling their hands
....."eeeh ha ha haaa toil boil... Now we'll mess with your mortal coils"

Jack

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 01:03:47 PM »

Modus Oprandi lol  Grin

the boogie men and women sit in a dark misty little corner up there rolling their hands
....."eeeh ha ha haaa toil boil... Now we'll mess with your mortal coils"

Jack

You forgot: wearing black robes plotting behind back room doors.

Yes, they are hell-bent on buggering our minds with wiz-bang graphics, videos, far more detail info on many additional facets of amateur radio, search functions, and dozens of other new features on the new site.
For some, this must be some grand nobus operitus. The end of amateur radio, as we know it, must be near. I need to go stock up on instant oatmeal.  Cheesy

ka3zlr
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 01:30:15 PM »

Welp, I can Honestly say,.. I did not recieve my License from Sun Drug..
BUTT.. I used to use the Toob Tester there...often. Times changed so
did I, I bought my own. Grin

Situational awareness calls for an upgrade...I'm all for it Change is good young minds fresh ideas.

Peoples computers don't like it oh well...change the computer..

Jack.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015