The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:40:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week in Cambridge  (Read 3836 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« on: April 17, 2010, 03:40:38 PM »

Just got back late last night from a work week in Cambridge Mass.  Flew into Logan Monday morning from Chicago and took red line T to Harvard station.  Walked to Sheraton Commander then spent the next five days in meetings with coworkers into the evenings over dinner.  So, I didn't get to see much except walking down Garden St. to business locations although I did get about 20 minutes on Friday afternoon to walk over and see the famous Harvard Yard before getting on the T to go back to the airport.

All in all, Cambridge Mass. looks like a pretty nice place to live unless you want to set up a low band AM ham station  Embarrassed

Not much room for antennas as far as I can tell, and I have a hunch the real estate prices are a bit on the high side.  I would have tried to contact any local AMers in Boston but it turned out there was zero time to do any socializing so I guess that will have to wait for Dayton-vention-venting hi hi.

Oh yeah, enjoyed listening to WBZ in the morning at my hotel room while I was there.

Now to all the fun of getting caught up with my home projects, work etc.  Some p.s. caps for my SB610 came in while I was away. 

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 04:35:34 PM »

All in all, Cambridge Mass. looks like a pretty nice place to live unless you want to set up a low band AM ham station  Embarrassed

Not much room for antennas as far as I can tell, and I have a hunch the real estate prices are a bit on the high side. 

I lived there from 1973 to 78.  I managed to put up a 75m antenna at both places where I rented.  One was a short dipole strung from the porch to a tree, and I got out well enough with a Ranger to keep in contact with the local AM activity. Then I moved to another house, the top floor of an old wooden three-decker fire trap with a flat roof.  I managed to get an end fed zepp strung between a  chimney on the three-decker and a tree across the street.  It worked pretty well all over the country.

Although we never had a fire at our house, one of the old wooden buildings in the area seemed to burn every few weeks. 
At least three times the antenna was knocked down by fire truck ladders and I would have to climb the tree and re-string it, usually at night when there was little traffic on the street, which was a main thoroughfare through the city into Boston.

I pretty well TVI-proofed the transmitter against harmonic radiation, but the main hassle was the damned solid state stereos that I wiped out, and the telephones.  I ran about 425 watts DC input to the pair of 8005's modulated by 805's. I just pretty much let the audio junk that was not supposed to receive radio signals fend for itself, which kept me somewhat paranoid about vandalism, break-ins and arson, although nothing like that ever happened.

I enjoyed my stay there, but knew I could not remain for ever, so I eventually moved on.  Yes, real estate prices were sky-high. 

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 05:22:02 PM »

Just don't get arrested by the police. It might become national news.   Wink
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:54:11 PM »

I realized on the way home that I should have brought my little Grundig swbc rx with me and I could have maybe read the mail on 75 m.  I was packing on Sunday evening in a hurry because I had to hit the sack and get up at 3 a.m. to get an early flight so I wasn't thinking on all bangers. 

Yeah, any kind of low band antenna would involve stealth tricks there nowadays.  OTOH, the bus line is electric and uses overhead parallel power wires which were very interesting to study from a civil engineering point of view but also because they sort of resemble parallel wire RF feeders spaced 18 inches apart (what Z is that I wonder).  So, any antenna objections could be met with the fact that no one ever complains about the bus line wires and why are they aesthetically okay but an antenna is not?

If real estate was high then Don, I bet they are 5 times higher now.  I have a Ranger I'm planning on putting on the air.  It is a nice looking one from a local SK estate.

R.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:38:31 PM »

I wasn't concerned so much about hiding the antenna.  It was in pretty plain view.  My reason for pulling it up late at night was to find a rare moment when the street wasn't busy.  It was still tricky even with only one car every few minutes. I had to unreel the wire across the street, climb the tree in the dark, and pull it up a safe distance above the pavement, all before the next car came barrelling-ass down the street.

If the tree is still there, remnants of that antenna are probably still hanging from the branch.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:54:03 AM »

Whenever I have to get a new rope and pulley over the tree in my front yard I have to shoot fishing line over the top of the tree from across my front street which is a state highway.  This is usually a Sunday morning job.  if I'm lucky I get it on the first try.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »

Just don't get arrested by the police. It might become national news.   Wink

He will need a deeper tan Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »

Considering how paranoid "authorities" seem to be everywhere these days, I would probably be arrested for unreeling a wire across a public street, climbing a tree on city property, and attaching the antenna to a branch.

Back then, no-one seemed to pay attention since I didn't obstruct traffic on the street.

- - -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015