The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:46:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How about Video Chat on the Forum Again.  (Read 5920 times)
ka3zlr
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:09:17 AM »

All in Favor say I....be great for the computer interested.

Jack.

ka3zlr
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »

Don't Forget to vote.

Jack.

KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »

Use Skype - easier than having to maintain the video chat room here and does very well. The only problem is only two can do video at a time. Three or more in a chat are limited to audio only.

Bill KA8WTK
Detroit47

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »

What about Pal Talk ? I think it's only audio though and typing.

73 N8QPC
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »

Nope.

Jack

ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 06:09:47 PM »

For those who remember when we had the last one and it was up, it worked great,
an was alot of fun, except i didn't have video then but i do now on my new computer.

Jack.

ka3zlr
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 06:59:47 PM »

I bet some a yunns guys is just scaret...lol.. Shocked
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »

Pointless. As Bill and others have illustrated, there are plenty of alternatives if you feel the need to be online instead of on the air.

Thinking back to the days of Gary's AM Classifieds, Steve's AM Window BBS and Brian's original AMfone site, it was clear then that the entire point of such sites was to enhance the on-air A.M. experience - not replace it. Just imagine if even half the people who are regular posters on here were as active on the air.

Having been off the air myself since mid-February due to travel and home projects, it's clear to me that spending less time online has allowed me to get a lot more done on the radio front. Maybe if Gary closed down the QSO section we'd witness a massive uptick in folks getting back on the air.  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
ka3zlr
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 10:47:55 AM »

I didn't ask for other alternatives, you say it's pointless...pardon me but I see quite a number
of pics brought in and videos an so forth, and if my memory serves me correctly I was there
at the beginning of this one and the end of the Huzmans board so Pardon me if my Idea to
bring back something I think would be a plus to the system doesn't float your boat.

An Another thing there is quite a number of folks that like the internet myself included and
DON"T MISS the QRM and Idiocy of the jammers on the air nobody has to operate Am everyday
or when some of you demand it......to Care about it.....fene'

Jack.

Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:42:42 PM »

Yeah Todd, What he said  Grin
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »

I can view the pix and vids now. I don't see how adding a video chat would create a missing capability.

I was around when we had the audio and video chat. After some initial "excitment" that lasted a few days, the repeat users numbered about five. Gary wised up and got rid of it, since it was way to much work and far too large a resource consumption for so few users. The fact that it can all be done on Skype only clinched the deal.

I didn't ask for other alternatives, you say it's pointless...pardon me but I see quite a number
of pics brought in and videos an so forth, and if my memory serves me correctly I was there
at the beginning of this one and the end of the Huzmans board so Pardon me if my Idea to
bring back something I think would be a plus to the system doesn't float your boat.

An Another thing there is quite a number of folks that like the internet myself included and
DON"T MISS the QRM and Idiocy of the jammers on the air nobody has to operate Am everyday
or when some of you demand it......to Care about it.....fene'

Jack.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 11:54:18 AM »

I was around when we had the audio and video chat. After some initial "excitment" that lasted a few days, the repeat users numbered about five.

Sounds like the band expansion syndrome. We got all that room now and the repeat users number a little better than 5!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 03:47:03 PM »

The web video contacts got old real fast.  After a while everyone had the camera pointing at the rig and used  audio only. Headshots were rare. It's seems most of us got too shell shocked looking at each other's mugs and the self-realization we were getting buzzardly... Grin

I lasted about 2 days and shut it off.  However the voice feature was useful, which Skype does well.

Funny, I notice hams seem to be more audio sensed than visual. The SSTV and live UHF video ham TV never really took off. Joe/PJP shut down his video repeater due to lack of use.  I notice many hams tend to talk in person with little eye contact. I find myself doing it sometimes to better concentrate on what is being said. That's probably an off-shoot of using telephone and other audio-only ham communications for years.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 05:43:49 PM »

When G had the video feature I didn't. I used "phone" only.  I could only do audio because if insufficient computer resources and audio was tough then too because of an old computer.  Many hams don't have hi speed internet or super duper computers. I wasn't about to dump money and time to connect with hams when I could do audio on the air for next to nothing.   In addition, it's just not the same.  Got have QRN and QRM to make it fun.  The internet has its place but it is not ham radio.  

As stated in another thread here, I have been having a blast with revisiting CW and CW DX.  Code proficiency is slowly increasing. As K1JJ says, got to move around and do other things to keep the interest.  

RF is a wonderful thing no matter the mode.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 01:12:52 AM »

Lots of west coast AMers run Stickam.com  Its free and very simple to use.  They keep it up in the shack when rag chewing and they can mention they have it running on the air. 

The AMI net is run with stickam. We have around 100 people getting on the video portion. Audio is fed to the computer from the hosts RXer so alot of times I listen over the computer if the band is weak in AZ.

Some have setup multiple cameras.  Some pointed at Plate current meters, S meters ect. Its really kind of fascinating to see other operators ham shacks. 

Stickam.com/wj6w   Or /ko6nm  or wb6yec ect..

C
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 08:59:11 AM »

Looking at Amateur TV on 70cm was never exciting either.
And I also see Jack's point. We/I have these dreams of a great QSO and when I get the radio running and tune in, and join a QSO, there might be 5 minutes of enjoyment, then the hetrodynes start, tuner-uppers, and someone with 25 watts making an old buzzard under deteriorating band condx.
On the other hand there have been some very nice gatherings of Ham folk and quiet band condx.
This board subs a little for my radio time. The eves are rare for time in the radio man cave. I do not use time properly..................I'll say 5 Hail Marys and 2 Our Fathers for penance

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015