The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:26:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nixie Tubes  (Read 16801 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 12:27:11 PM »

With a .1 second refresh rate, you won't notice a lag.  With a 1 second time base, you certainly will.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 12:31:30 PM »

Another thing that dawned on me was say if I use a counter board from a counter or something is that it would probably behave like an ordinary frequency counter. If I'm using it as the frequency readout for the tuning dial then I can't wait for the stupid thing to lock up to display the frequency. It needs to immediately change as I tune the dial. It says the heath 650 is a frequency display, but I wonder if the change is immediate?

You have complete control of the count time duration and interval.  The interval you set between counts determines how quickly the display is updated when you tune your oscillator.  Use a longer count to get higher resolution - ie: low-order digits.  Simply move the decimal point as you change your time base selection. 

I found a rather interesting article in QST for April '74.  On page 34 is part II of an article by Wes Hayward, W7ZOI, entitled "A Competition-Grade CW Receiver".  He installed a HB counter, using 7-segment LEDs, not nixies, inside the receiver.  Most of the receiver sections are shielded, but the counter logic is not.  He designed it using a 2.0 MHz clock so the spurs would not lie in the ham bands of interest.  Then the novel approach he used was to gate signal from the crystal oscillator to the divider chain, such that the chain was inactive when no count is in progress.  The oscillator is the only logic running continuously.  This virtually eliminated the interference problem.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 11:42:30 PM »

No reason the Heath counter won't work below 3 MHz.   In its intended application it doesn't need to though; there are no oscillators in the Heath SB-series under 3 MHz.

Use at least 74LS ICs in the first two dividers if you need to go to 55 MHz.  Regular 74xx TTL craps out between 15-20 MHz, depending on the chip.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
John K5PRO

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 02:07:47 AM »

I used to have a HP counter that used Nixies that wasn't big. It was about the size of the Heathkit 650 seen here. I don't remember the model, but it was a 10 MHz top end counter I believe. I gave it to a friend few years ago.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »

Why do all that?  The driver ICs will drive the nixies directly.  There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to add FETs - the ICs are much smaller than 10 FETs will be.  You can build the whole counter on one board, nixies included.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 02:44:23 PM »

Why not just run each 4 bit line from the counters to the decoder/driver mounted at the base of each nixie?  That way you're only sending 5V thru those cables instead of 180V.

"Better" is the enemy of "good enough" and it's certainly true here.  I can't fathom what you have against using the 74141s to drive the nixies directly - it's been done in hundreds of designs very successfully.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015