The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:41:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing Viking II Meter  (Read 4409 times)
N6MV

« on: April 21, 2010, 08:36:10 PM »

Purchased a Viking II on E-Bay, and when it arrived yesterday - the glass face of the meter was turned and was no longer flush with the front of the meter. It appears that the meter needs to be replaced, for there is no movement of the needle with a slight turn of the set screw. Would appreciate hearing from anyone as to what's required to replace this amp-meter, viz. does the front panel have to be taken off or can the meter be removed without taking off the front panel ?

Many thanks,
Jim, N6MV

WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »

Jim,

Is this simply a case where the glass has come unglued and is pushed back and jamming the movement?

If so, just glue the glass back in place-this is a common problem with old meters.

Rodger WQ9E
N6MV

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »

Hi Rodger,

Thanks for the reply, but the meter has to be replaced, for using a magnifying glass, I observed that the meter's needle or pointer is no longer attached to the circular spring, and that's the reason why there is no movement of the needle by the set screw.

Thus, if anyone on the AM Board has replaced the meter in the Viking II, I would greatly appreciate knowing if the front panel has to be taken off, or can the meter be removed - after disconnecting the leads to the meter- by taking off the copper spring-like RFI shield, and then pulling the meter out from the front.

Many thanks for any help and assistance.

All the Best,
Jim, N6MV
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:27:40 PM »

Jim,

The meter should be held in place by nuts on the back of the panel that attach to the captive screws in the meter case.  Once you remove the "TVI" shield it should be easy to remove the meter leads and nuts and pass it out the front. 

I have replaced one on one of my Viking 1 transmitters and except for the additional shielding on the Viking 2 there should be no difference.  It has been a long time since I have been in my Viking 2 but as I recall the meters are identical.

Rodger WQ9E
N6MV

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »

Rodger,

Many thanks for that great bit of information and very good news - viz. that its possible to remove the V II meter without taking off the front panel - by unsoldering the leads and via the nuts and screws on the meter -which are holding it to the front panel.

Greatly appreciate your response to my question.

73's and All the Best,
Jim, N6MV

sndtubes
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 02:17:58 AM »

The meter glass on my Viking II meter was pushed in when I got it, preventing the meter from working.  The only thing I would add to the other comments is to make sure you have a REALLY good screw holder/starter tool because getting the small screws back into the meter can is nearly impossible without one.  I was able to fix my meter perfectly.  It was well worth it.  I really like the Viking II.  Feels like real radio!
N6MV

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:46:23 AM »

Following Rodger's valuable info, first disconnected all the leads to the meter, and then removed the RFI/TVI copper shield that was covering the meter, and then was able to remove the meter from the front panel- which was being held by 4 nuts and lockwashers. Then took apart the meter -coming across the very small screws that you spoke of - and as mentioned earlier- the circular spring - that is normally in front of the needle - and which allows one to set it to zero, had totally unravelled- so unfortunately the meter isn't repairable and will have to be replaced. What's interesting is that this 500 ma meter has EF Johnson Co. on the meter's frontpiece, but it doesn't have the Viking icon. Checking with 
xfrmrs@roadrunner.com to see if they have a 500 ma Viking II meter, and if not, will search around for a an old Simpson panel meter that can fit in the Viking II meter case.

73's,
Jim, N6MV

sndtubes
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:34:31 AM »

It's probably expensive, but there are companies that repair meter movements like RAM Meter in Detroit.  Since it's a standard movement, it might not be too bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015