The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:39:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking II wrong power switch  (Read 1322 times)
K9PNP

« on: April 03, 2010, 02:36:33 PM »

During the Mighty Elmac Net last Wednesday, the Viking II blew its internal line fuse.  So, yesterday I went looking for the problem.  Resistance checks showed nothing out of the ordinary, so I installed another fuse while it was still standing on one side and it worked for a while.  All reading normal.  It then blew again.  Looking at the fuse, it was a direct short type of failure.  Still not finding any problems, I dropped back to the old "look for hot components and burn marks" theory of trouble shooting.  Sure enough, there was a burn/arc mark on the chassis hiding under the AC power switch.  While removing the switch, it came apart in pieces.  The internal parts had the blue hue of long time overload and you could see where something in the switch was protruding through the case on the chassis side.  Apparently somewhere in its life, somebody had replaced the switch with a 2 or 3 amp at 24 VDC rated one [as best I could tell from what was left of the switch case].  Have never seen this before in all the boat anchors I have had and worked on.  Murphy loves me.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015