The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:55:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hv transformers  (Read 15857 times)
scottdarling1221
« on: March 28, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »

I have 4  3300 vac hv transformers.Can i put 2 of them in series to double the voltage and 2 in series and parrel to the first 2 to double the current.

They are the same make and part number
KE6DF

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 07:08:26 PM »

Putting two in parallel to double the current should work fine if they are indentical.

Putting two in series may or may not work.

It depends on the insulation ratings of the secondaries.

Some old plate transformers, the UTC S series for example, are intended to operate with the center tap of the HV winding grounded.

Putting two of those is series, and then using either a full wave or bridge circuit would result in high voltage on the CT. So you would likely have trouble.

Do you have working voltage specs for the seconary windings?

Dave

scottdarling1221
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »

all i know is that its a 3300 volt ac center tap.I would use a full wave bride.if the insulation cannot handle the voltage i wont try it
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 08:11:05 PM »

Do you mean a 1650-0-1650 transformers?   If you use a full wave bridge (sorry 'bout that) with out touching the center tap you will get 3300 out but at reduced current.

Assuming 1650-0-1650
If you parallel the primarys and series the secondarys you can get 6600 volts out, with multiple taps (the existing CT's and the one you make by putting the two together).  If you series parallel for more current things will get tricky.  You'll have to keep it all in phase of course.  

Isolate the frames by mounting on some think plastic away from everything else.  

It'll be big and messy, but should work.  I'd derate the power out a bit just to be safe.  ie: if you think you can get .500 A out, only draw .300 A for a margin.  

Good luck and keep one hand in your Pocket OM!!!

3300 Volts is pretty beefy anyway, what do you need the 6600 for???

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
scottdarling1221
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:42:40 PM »

yeah thats what i have 3300 volts total 1650 per leg.Each transformer is rated for 1 amp ccs 3300 vac.With the 4 transformers i would hope to get 2 amps @ 6600 volts ac.I think i may just go with a full wave doubler and 2 c filter capacitors just to play it safe.Its for a project i have over here i have them so might as well use them.Will be legal limit of course.
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:54:42 PM »

Be aware that some center tapped transformers are not designed to be use with a full wave bridge-the insulation is designed only for use with the center tap grounded and will fail with the center tap floating.  This is the same reason why you can get into trouble mounting the filter choke in series between the center tap and ground since this places the center tap at the ripple voltage above ground and may lead to insulation failure.

Unless you have the specs from the maker that state it is acceptable to use the transformer in a full wave bridge then proceed at your own risk.

There is no free lunch with using a full wave bridge on a center tapped secondary; even if you are able to safely rectify the entire secondary voltage to double the B+ DC output it will have to be at half the current rating.  So in either case the wattage will be the same and the difference will be at what voltage and current you are able to draw the wattage.

With center tapped transformers I doubt that there is any way you will be able to run the secondaries in series in a full wave bridge arrangement without having secondary breakdown problems.

Rodger WQ9E
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 09:13:49 PM »

Why not rectify to DC, THEN apply series / parallel?

Seems this might be a workaround for the phasing and CT's, etc.

Each xformer would operate as it's designed to, then rectify, and instead of grounding the neg side, could you put it in series (or parallel to increase current rating)?

Put Cfilter after the entire mess, so it's at full DC potential.

Someone please point to the flaw in this logic, I'm SURE I'm missing something stupid....
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 09:16:02 PM »

vac.With the 4 transformers i would hope to get 2 amps @ 6600 volts ac.
Will be legal limit of course.

I'm the LAST one to talk about legal limit, but even I can see the flawed logic in 13 grand input for 1500 output Smiley

--Shane
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 09:16:42 PM »

If that transformer has a full 3300V secondary and with a CT then it is rated at 1650V at 1A aka 3300VCT @ 1A

So which do you have CT or no CT??

Carl
KM1H

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 09:18:19 PM »

I think he should move to Yahoo Shane, then you and Jim can educate him Grin

Carl
scottdarling1221
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 09:46:11 PM »

im sorry i can only tell you what the manufacturer told me which is what i told you before.The transformer weighs a little over 50 pounds and have compared it to a 4 kva transfomer with the same secondary voltage.The 4kva transformer weighed 10 pounds more same style core.Yeah the total kva rating is kinda high but i like over kill.I have seen much larger power supplies out there.
scottdarling1221
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »

it does have a center tap
scottdarling1221
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »

I also have some henry 2000d rf generator transformers that are single phase.They are 4kva they have a center tap they use the center tap for the tube driver plate voltage and for the final tube plate voltage they use the 2 outer taps on the secondary side of the plate transformer.

They are able to get away with using the outer taps on that transformer.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 08:17:54 AM »

Be aware that some center tapped transformers are not designed to be use with a full wave bridge-the insulation is designed only for use with the center tap grounded and will fail with the center tap floating.  This is the same reason why you can get into trouble mounting the filter choke in series between the center tap and ground since this places the center tap at the ripple voltage above ground and may lead to insulation failure.

Unless you have the specs from the maker that state it is acceptable to use the transformer in a full wave bridge then proceed at your own risk.

There is no free lunch with using a full wave bridge on a center tapped secondary; even if you are able to safely rectify the entire secondary voltage to double the B+ DC output it will have to be at half the current rating.  So in either case the wattage will be the same and the difference will be at what voltage and current you are able to draw the wattage.

With center tapped transformers I doubt that there is any way you will be able to run the secondaries in series in a full wave bridge arrangement without having secondary breakdown problems.

I have learned this the hard way!! Ever since the first transformer blew out in my 4X1 rig,
(It lasted 9 years with FWB and negative lead filtering), I have had transformer after transformer fail trying to run transformers that were NOT rated for FWB in that configuration.
Also putting the choke in the negative lead took one out as well. (I was not sure if the choke's insulation would take it or not, so I put it in the negative lead, and the ripple voltage took out the transformer.)

Quite a few people had told me NOT to do it, but I was bull headed and learned the hard way. you can usually get away with running FWB rectification on low or lower voltage transformers that are not rated for it, BUT..........................

DONT TRY IT WITH PLATE IRON UNLESS YOU KNOW IT IS DESIGNED FOR IT! !  With the higher voltages incurred with big plate iron the chance of having an insulation brakedown is greatly increased. If you dont know whether or not it will take it, dont even trust a HI-Pot test. I have tested them and they showed up as OK, and broke down shortly afterwards.

Transformers are usually somewhat "design specific". If it has no center tap, it is most likely designed for FWB service. If it has a center tap it is most likely designed for the center tap to be grounded, and the internal insulation is configured the same way. If it has a CT run it with the CT grounded, or you'll most likely be hating life shortly afterwards.

Good plate iron is a terrible thing to waste! ! !

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 10:24:37 AM »

I think he should move to Yahoo Shane, then you and Jim can educate him Grin

Carl

His capacitor bank isn't large enough for the barrier to entry Smiley

You know us, John Lyles is the only guy in existance that has more joules stored Smiley

On a more serious note, would rectifying and THEN series / parallel work in this config?

--Shane
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »

Don't series even after the rectifier.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »

so why is it we never hear this 13KV rig on th eeast coast?
scottdarling1221
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »

I talk am.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 05:57:16 PM »

I think therefore I AM.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »

Frank Slab,

this vy timely for me; i have old thordarson iron with CT, 200 lbs 1A 3250 - 0 - 3250 & 872A s.s. replacements

rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 09:16:02 PM »

That will give you about .85 to .9 RMS for DC out with a choke input with better dynamic regulation than the common commercial amp FWB or doubler iron and 25-30 uF cap.

Carl
KM1H
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »

There is no free lunch with using a full wave bridge on a center tapped secondary; even if you are able to safely rectify the entire secondary voltage to double the B+ DC output it will have to be at half the current rating.  So in either case the wattage will be the same and the difference will be at what voltage and current you are able to draw the wattage.

The "free lunch" you get with a full wave bridge is the fact that the required PIV rating of the rectifiers is the same with a given total secondary voltage whether the transformer is used in a bridge or full wave midtapped circuit.

For example, the maximum rating for the 866A or 872A MV tube is 10 kv PIV.  With fullwave midtap the maximum DC output voltage is 3100 volts.  Using 4 of the same tubes with the same transformer (assuming it is insulated to withstand it) in a bridge circuit, the maximum output voltage is 6200 volts.  You get twice the current rating with the conventional full wave because each side of the transformer is operating at 50% duty cycle.  With the bridge circuit, the entire transformer is working at 100% duty cycle. The bridge makes more efficient use of the transformer than does the midtap circuit.

With tube type rectifiers, it is about a 50-50 trade-off, since the bridge requires 4 rectifier tubes and their associated filament transformers instead of just a pair.  But solid state rectifiers are cheap enough that the additional set of diode stacks for the bridge is not so significant in terms of the overall cost, and that tips the overall balance towards the bridge.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »

That will give you about .85 to .9 RMS for DC out with a choke input with better dynamic regulation than the common commercial amp FWB or doubler iron and 25-30 uF cap.

Carl
KM1H

tnx Carl; I don't want to hijack this thread; I'll read about choke input & if I have any questions I'll get back to you.  this way I don't waste ur time with questions I can find answers to out of books.  

don, in this case I bet the Thordarson iron was not made to withstand FWB across the whole secondary.  it is old tranny made b4 s.s. diodes; a CHT looking one judging by the feet and end bells but painted gray so it looks like it might be from the 50s.  the part no. is T47000.  if I had a decent camera I'd take a picture of it.  Anyway after all the work (I have friends thank heavens) getting it into the basement I'm not gg to take any chances hi hi.

rob

update:  checked and closest thing I have to filter choke for this is 10 H 800 ma Energy Systems choke.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »

Frank Slab,

this vy timely for me; i have old thordarson iron with CT, 200 lbs 1A 3250 - 0 - 3250 & 872A s.s. replacements

rob

SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEET! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That sounds like a really nice chunk of iron! ! ! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 09:36:49 AM »

Frank Slab,

rob

I HAD a pair of those 25 years ago. I loaned them to a friend and told him just to use them at 3KV until he could find something better. He reconfigured them to FWB and turned them to scrap.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015