The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:29:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Batten down the hatches  (Read 13576 times)
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »

Less than three weeks til spring, and this is what we get in Marietta, GA....

Still coming down this afternoon!  Our third snow of the season, hopefully the last.

* DSCF0002.JPG (607.67 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 410 times.)

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »

an el nino caused all this???

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »

Idb,

I am about a half hour north of Nashua. We got power back but let me tell you we had over 300,000 without power here in NH. That was a violent storm and it again shows how stupid we are with our above ground utilities and big trees (that we make into poles that we put right next to the big trees) here in the states. We had some visitors over from Germany and they could not believe what they were seeing. "Why do you have all of those wires?" was the general comment.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 08:43:29 AM »

an el nino caused all this???

Fred

Global worming...............I mean warming? ? ? ? ? ? ?

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 12:00:18 PM »

We had some visitors over from Germany and they could not believe what they were seeing. "Why do you have all of those wires?" was the general comment.

Very smug for Marshall Plan receipients.
They could've been a suburb of Moscow.

I understand most all of Europe has had a nasty winter storm lately. Almost of hurricane strength. People died.

Oh, and the standard trick for Germans visiting is to take a slice of our white pappy bread, roll it up into a 1/2 inch ball and comment on the food value compared to German black bread, some of which comes in cans.  Very dense and I suppose nutritious.

But then again such good bread was fed to only the uberrace in a certain, not so long ago part of dark German history...  ... and that was cut with sawdust unless you were in the army on the Russian front.   It all depends on your point of view.

One more thought.  I had a German exchange student when in highschool.  He ate apples from the bottom up.  -nothing left but the stem.  He'd look proud when finished.  I asked him, " did you know the seeds contained arsnic?"  ...might explain some things.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
K5WLF
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 02:55:14 PM »

Idb,

I am about a half hour north of Nashua. We got power back but let me tell you we had over 300,000 without power here in NH. That was a violent storm and it again shows how stupid we are with our above ground utilities and big trees (that we make into poles that we put right next to the big trees) here in the states. We had some visitors over from Germany and they could not believe what they were seeing. "Why do you have all of those wires?" was the general comment.

Mike WU2D

My friends work at Sky-Skan in Nashua. I manage a planetarium here in TX and our automation system came from them.

LDB
K5WLF
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »

Great job you have Mike.

If you haven't seen it already, there's a great documentary on PBS  "NOVA" series on Pluto.

The director of the NYC plantetarium tours the country explaining the demotion of Pluto.  Very informative, funny and thought provoking.

Suffice to say the topic's still somewhat unsettled.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K5WLF
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »

Great job you have Mike.

If you haven't seen it already, there's a great documentary on PBS  "NOVA" series on Pluto.

The director of the NYC plantetarium tours the country explaining the demotion of Pluto.  Very informative, funny and thought provoking.

Suffice to say the topic's still somewhat unsettled.

There's still quite a flap amongst astronomers and planetarians about the Pluto thing. There was an interview with Clyde Tombaugh's widow -- Clyde discovered Pluto in 1930 at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff AZ -- wherein she said she thought Clyde would agree with the demotion of Pluto since it showed that science always progresses. Neil deG Tyson is highly opinionated about the subject and, I've heard, is quite eloquent on the PBS show. I haven't seen it yet, since I had my DirecTV yanked out by the wires about five years ago. (Too much of a time sink) I'll probably order the DVD and watch it. Neil's always good when he's in full voice.

Some folks think that Pluto should never have been classified as a planet, others stand firm that it is and always will be (damn the IAU and their silly vote) and some say science progresses and we need to re-classify things from time to time as we learn more about the universe. I just tell the folks that come to my planetarium all the positions and let them make their own decision. My customers (about 18,000/year) are mostly grade school kids and love hearing that scientists actually argue about things. It helps humanize science and makes it, I believe, seem more accessible as a profession for the kids.

ldb
K5WLF
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »

There are some federal job openings down in New Mexico, working on the SETI radio telescope array. Out in the middle of nowhere.

The XYL wants me to apply..
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 10:16:40 PM »

Yes I know Sky Skan and I had one of their cool posters in my office back in the 90's. A woman that I worked with's husband was an engineer there. The design work that they do making planetarium systems is very advanced. http://www.skyskan.com/

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015