The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:15:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM transmitter Rally.. Where is everyone?  (Read 23517 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2010, 12:33:36 PM »

Yep, it was a very well-attended event.  I enjoyed both hanging out and rag chewing in various pubs (most of the time) as well as working a pileup later in the night of western stations on 3875.

There were many new AMers who said they had been listening to AM "all over the band" and decided to give it a try for the first time. It sounded like an AM hamfest convention. Perhaps 60% of the calls I've never heard before.  Fabio performed flawlessly.

Later on at about 10:30PM Don/K4KYV was taking a break from 3875 and I offered to keep the freq warm for him. I called for west coast and stations who haven't worked east coast yet. Thought I'd give some of the weaker stations a chance to get in. There was a fast run of contacts for a good hour. The highlight of the event for me was when Jackko from Finland, OH1TX was there for the schedule on 3765 split 3870. Steve/HUZ and I both worked him. We tried several times to connect him with USA AMers on 3870 and 3875, but conditions were down and Jackko had to pass. Too bad.

The strangest event of the day was at about 2:30 PM when I called into the "Ladies" on 3885. I transmitted for about 60 seconds and then unkeyed. I heard nothing. There was a faint female voice in the noise, that's it. Turns out we had a big time solar flare. The band then became chaos as people called and called and then went outside looking at their antennas. I got fooled too.... Grin  Conditions slowly came back, as usual, but the band was squirrelly the whole day afterwards.

Still, there was enough activity to continuosly move around the 75M band (and other bands) and not talk with the same people twice. I noticed the regular ssb groups between 3860 and 3890 were gone most of the night on 75M.

Mission accomplished . It's well worth it to plan another event.

Tom -  AM Special Event Station, K1J

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »

One of the girls was very overmodulated but I was in there for a while after 3875. I heard the buckshot and tuned in. I tool a break around 1230 to make a batch of sauce for my Son's birthday and then took a short nap, so missed the flare.
75 seemed weird later so did 160 for the rest of the time.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »

Hat's off to the organizers for a great day!

They did a great job.

Many thanks to Jack, Dubya Niner Tango for handling traffic on 3.875 last night.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »

Yes I agree it was a great event and tnx to the organizers.  We'll definitely have to do it again.

Jack W9GT had a huge signal in here on 75.  Ditto for Don K4KYV. 

Late last night I worked KN9N who was running a SDR1000 driving an AL811H for 150 w. to a sloper and he sounded great.  I was his first or second AM QSO with his Flex radio and we had a nice 1 hour QSO on 1880 until about 15 minutes after midnight at which point I packed it in.  I had gotten to the point where I was confusing controls, adjusting audio level when I wanted to adjust carrier.   That when I know it's time to flip the big switch and hit the sack.

<< Todd, KA1KAQ was down visiting Steve WB3HUZ (W3Z).  It was great hearing Todd on top band.  >>

So THAT'S who that was!!  Steve, Dave W9AD and I couldn't pull the identity of ur visitor out of the fade.  When I asked for a repeat you had moved on.  I asked Dave if he had heard the identity of the mysterious visitor and he said no.   I figured I'd find out later on and I did!  Good to work you Todd even if I didn't know who you were at the time  Cheesy

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »

I had the same problem, I got tired late in the game. I was making mistakes and it was harder and harder to get call signs down. 

C
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »

<< Todd, KA1KAQ was down visiting Steve WB3HUZ (W3Z).  It was great hearing Todd on top band.  >>

So THAT'S who that was!!  Steve, Dave W9AD and I couldn't pull the identity of ur visitor out of the fade.  When I asked for a repeat you had moved on.  I asked Dave if he had heard the identity of the mysterious visitor and he said no.   I figured I'd find out later on and I did!  Good to work you Todd even if I didn't know who you were at the time  Cheesy

*nod* Sorta like when we tried it on 40 last spring, except this time I could understand what you were saying.  Grin

We were getting out to the more ragged edge of conditions for longer haul stuff by then, I guess. When we worked W3GMS and others earlier, it was as if they were sitting in the room with us. Joe has some of the cleanest, smoothest audio on the air so it's always a pleasure to hear his station.

Especially enjoyed hearing folks discuss their original Novice stations, including the bit from WA2PJP about his mom bringing him home a relay from the AT&T CO there. The roundtables were enjoyable as were the few break-in sessions that blossomed.

And it was good that Dave could make it in remote from Mexico. I wonder if that makes him a DX contact or some massive multiplier for running AM Remote?   Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015