The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:02:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5KC Active Audio Filter for Brick Wall AM Use  (Read 20403 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: February 05, 2010, 11:07:07 PM »

Hola,

I wonder if anyone with access to active filter design software might be interested in designing up a brick wall 5KC low pass audio filter for AM use using op amps?    

The problem is I've found with my EQ rolled off after 5kc, the compressor after it still levels off the higher frequencies above 5KC. It just boosts and levels everything off.  I need a brick wall 5kc filter after the 6-band compressor. I was hoping to use say, a quad OP470G low noise quad op amp and use all four op amps in cascade to produce a very sharp roll off. I have a few 14 pin package 470 chips on hand here.

In the link below see the last circuit that shows three op amps in cascade for a 1KC low pass. Can someone model this for 5kc or design an even better quad circuit for 5kc low pass?  I will build it ASAP if you do and post the results. I'll bet others might be interested in building one too.

Check out the last circuit on the page:
http://www.discovercircuits.com/PDF-FILES/LowPassFilt1.pdf

Here's the datasheet for the OP470G low noise quad op amp:
http://chipdig.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/041/OP470G-pdf.php

Thanks for any help!

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 11:25:49 PM »

I would be interested as well, although I have a dual 31 band eq, one is before compression, the other after.
It only cuts 12 DB though....

Brett

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 11:51:35 PM »

I would be interested as well, although I have a dual 31 band eq, one is before compression, the other after.
It only cuts 12 DB though....

Brett

That's a neat idea.  I have a Nady 31 band but it is mono.  Something isn't right however, I think it's picking up RF.  Even when i have everything flat at 0db, I get a muddy sound with it in line.  I think it's time to put up on eBay and try a Dual band and configure it like you Brett.  My Behringer VX-2000 works very well and doesn't pick up any rf.  Maybe a matching dual band Behringer 31-band EQ would be nice.  I'm also considering the Virtualizer Pro for just a tinge of reverb. 

I too would be interested in seeing a good active brick wall filter even better if it could be adjustable somehow for say 4 to 6 khz. Smiley

AMI#1684
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 11:58:53 PM »

FabMaster:

For rolling your own op-amp filters, look at TI FilterPro design software

http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/filterpro.html

or LT FilterCAD
http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/filtercad.jsp

Steep elliptical filters can be made with ladder filters with coils and caps. They are today emulated with series-ing up a few FDNR (frequency dependent negative resistance) notch filters. However, I feel there is an easier and better solution. With the suggestion of Stu, AB2EZ who used a different chip in Maxim's switched capacitor filter chip line for receive filtering (ala the commercial SCAF unit), I built a handy brick wall filter circuit in my class E PDM generator.

I used the MAX294 chip, which is an 8th order elliptic low pass filter chip that provides a stopband rejection of over 60db after cutoff and a rolloff of something like 36db/octave. Using a single oscillator frequency set capacitor, I have currently set my cutoff at 6kc, but wanna try 5kc sometime. After this filter should be a phase correcting network to un-tilt any now tilted square waves, but I just used a negative clipper the shave off the occasional peaks.

There is a little noise and distortion that limits the chip's dynamic range to about 50-60db, but as my filter is after my audio processing, this is not an issue at all. No one can tell I am using this chip. I am clean and not too wide.

The datasheet is here:
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX293-MAX297.pdf
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1443

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Just think of all the girls you'll get with this circuit! ;-)

Dan
W1DAN
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:02:10 AM »

That looks like an interesting chip, Dan.

I like that it has an internal oscillator to use (with ext capacitor) and the design is very simple.
The data sheet talks about using the extra internal op amp as an anti-aliasing stage as an additional all-time low pass filter.  Do you have an actual design for the 6kc and additional stage? 

I wonder how hard it wud be to make it adjustable from 4-6 kc as suggested?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 07:20:27 AM »

I have two (2) of these that I built a few years ago. They are now surplus to me needs. Basically they are simple modifications of a switched capacitor filter sold by this company:

http://www.idiompress.com/scaf-1.php

I changed a few resistors and capacitors to convert it from an adjustable CW (300 - 1000Hz) brick wall low pass filter to an adjustable AM (2000-6000 Hz) brick wall low pass filter. The rolloff is 96dB per octive. The box uses two(2) switched capacitor filter chips from MAXX, in series, each of which has a 48dB/octave brick wall rolloff.

The rolloff frequency of the MAXX chips is determined by a supplied clock signal. The rolloff frequency is 1/50th of the clock frequency... so, if you provide a 250kHz clock, the rolloff frequency is 5kHz.

The clock (in the Idiom press product) is supplied by a 555 timer chip... whose frequency is controlled by a front panel pot. 250kHz is a little high for a 555 timer, but it works.

At the bottom of the web page... you will see "Other Uses". Click on that, and you will see the article I sent to them... describing the modifications I made.

If you want to try one of these (Tom or Brett) I'll make you my usual deal that you can't refuse. [My regular E-mail is sdp2@verizon.net]

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 08:51:45 AM »

The problem is I've found with my EQ rolled off after 5kc, the compressor after it still levels off the higher frequencies above 5KC. It just boosts and levels everything off. 

Why not put the EQ AFTER the compressor instead of before? This is what I do. Also my voice does not have a lot of energy above 3 Khz, so I have no need for a brick wall filter. YMMV.

Jim
WD5JKO
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:00:47 AM »

Hi Jim.  Yes, this is what Brett was describing... using a dual band eq, one side ahead and the other side behind the compressor.  I think that's a grand idea.  But, I think Tom's point is that most EQs only have a 12db +/- range, which isn't exactly adequate to quell all of those unwanted frequencies, thus the desire for a brick wall filter.

AMI#1684
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 09:12:36 AM »

Becareful using the generic 'stereo' eq's. There is some interaction between channels. YMMV

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 09:19:57 AM »

But, I think Tom's point is that most EQs only have a 12db +/- range, which isn't exactly adequate to quell all of those unwanted frequencies, thus the desire for a brick wall filter.

John,

One approach to this EQ limitation is to put the sliders below 5 Khz at the upper end, and have the frequency most accentuated at the top of the slider. Then after 5 Khz, put the next slider at the bottom. This will give you a 24db drop, but NOT brick wall. I suppose the dB/Octave drop varies on the EQ design.

I wonder if Tom uses a compressor that breaks the audio range into bands and then has multiple compressors?

Jim,
WD5JKO

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 11:30:46 AM »

Hi Stu,

Thanks for all the FB info.  YES!  I'd like to try one of those Maxx boxes. It would be perfect for the job.

I have a switched capacitor chip here, but yours has TWO of these type chips in series and the clock is already built in. Perfect.

I notice your article says 4500 hz max range and the post above says 6K.  6K max wud be FB, if so.

I'll send you an email and arrange things for payment, etc.  TNX MUCH, OM.

Jim:  I'm using a 6-band Behringer 9024 processor with the top band set at 4kc - 10kc.     I tried putting a second EQ at the output as suggested- the cut was OK, but not enuff - and it also added noise to the chain that was excessive for some reason.

T

AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 12:48:27 PM »

Tom

ok...

Yes... it will go to 6kHz. I had to select a 555 timer chip that would work at a high enough frequency (300kHz) to do the job.

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 01:08:16 PM »

Excellent, Stu!

I received the schematic and modifications you did to the filter. This is a more sophisticated filter that I first thought.  It should do the trick in spades.

I appreciate your generousity, as you did before, and will put it to good use, OM.  You da man!

Thanks again!

T

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »

It would be OK to place EQ after the compressor, but it should always precede the peak limiter.  EQ can alter the amplitude of peaks non-uniformly over the audio range, which would defeat the purpose of a peak limiter.

One thing I have noticed is that boosting the bass with EQ tends to reverse the polarity of asymmetrical voice peaks.  Also, EQ can generate a tilt in near-square waveforms.  These are both things to be avoided, if possible, before peak limiting, and must be avoided, after.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »

You might consider the LP filter in the upper right hand corner of this schematic from Steve's website:

http://www.classeradio.com/pwm_generator_rev_d.pdf

or make modifications to the component values to roll-off at say 4.5 kHz.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »

Since I have a dual eq, I cut off above 5kc (or whatever) with both eq channels.
That would be 24 db.
The after eq is only used to cut frequencies, not to boost them.

I think some sort of sharp acting filter would be better though...

Brett
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 10:11:08 PM »

You could always do it with free software. Works like a champ.

* voice shaper.jpg (74.61 KB, 712x625 - viewed 596 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »

SCF has a lot going on under the hood with all those little buckets
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 11:29:19 PM »

I could have sworn this was covered in a two part article in ER Last year.  They had a big chart to make your own filters complete with values.  Not a Chip but a real filter. Does someone have those issues? I can Dig them up if nobody has them. No idea what I did with them.

I am interested in this since my New Transmitter will be done and it has NO audio limitation on the 1800 watt modulator. I am going to have to limit it for sure.  I was planning on using the EQ route but then realized this probably wont be enough after reading this post.

C
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »

You are probably thinking of the article in the October 2009 ER issue on p. 14, Audio for Heavy Metal Rigs by K0HEH.  There is a schematic in there for a passive LPF on p. 16 for 600 ohms using caps and inductors and an audio transformer.  It was designed by K0RZ and is a Butterworth filter.  Different component values are given in a table for cutoffs of 10, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1.5 KHz and 770 Hz.  I glanced over the article to see if there was any data on attenuation above the cutoff but did not see anything. 

More important is an addendum article in the December 2009 ER on p. 23, Audio for Heavy Metal Rigs, Revisited that has more information on constructing the filter and sources for the parts.  The filter looks extremely simple.  Four coils, six caps in a ladder arrangement driven by the transformer secondary, another cap in series on one side of the primary.  That's it.

BTW the problem with using an eq after a compressor is that the eq is not where it is supposed to be in the audio chain.  The eq should be used to literally equalize everything across a (for voice limited) range so the compressor can level the audio, then the peak limiter can keep everything to a set limit to prevent over modulation.  If the eq is last it undos all the processing ahead of it.  You can add a second eq at the end set up to just be a filter but my experience is that it adds distortion and is a step back.  Some other kind of filter is needed. 

Besides the simple filter in ER (which I would try first because it is simple) take a look at the LPF section on the schematic of the Inovonics 222 limiter.  Your LPF is IC 8, 9, 10 and 11 at the bottom of page 33 of the manual.  This one is for 10 KHz LPF but the general design is one you can compare to others you have seen.  There is a general circuit description of the filter on p. 27 of the manual.

http://www.inovon.com/download/222%20Manual.pdf 

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 12:14:31 AM »

Stu:

Does the SCAF and your circuit not use an elliptic filter IC?

I thought that was the main difference between your circuit and mine. I believe the Maxim chip I used was a different model.

Thanks,
Dan
W2JBL

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 12:42:52 AM »

wow! what a great idea! narrow up your signal so the sperm burping sidebanders can move in even closer to us and still complain about our "AM splatter".
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 12:54:30 AM »

LOL..   Thats exactly what will happen!

How can I have one antenna produce a 1500 watt carrier.  One seperate transmitter produce 1500 watts of side band energy out another antenna.  Then I can have 3000 watts and still be under the legal limit.

C
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »

While I know the "switched capacitor filters" work, and Stu made them and put them on the air, I could always hear the effect of the ones that Stu breadboarded when he had them on the air. I did not like the overall sound at all. I don't think it was the effect of the filter that i was hearing, rather the effect on the pass band audio.

I vote for an eliptical filter myself... the CAD programs make that somewhat easier, and it's all resistors and caps, opamps.

Just my opinion... ymmv.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 11:28:59 AM »

wow! what a great idea! narrow up your signal so the sperm burping sidebanders can move in even closer to us and still complain about our "AM splatter".

Sure, we can defend the frequency like it’s the Alamo and use electronic warfare to keep the sidebanders away. But, the idea to run wideband audio or "turn up the audio to keep the ssbers away" doesn't work. It just causes wars, bad feelings and more interference to fellow AMers.  

This weekend, like it or not, the AM QSOs from 3865 to 3895 operated the whole AM Rally event with 5kc spacing between QSOs. Sure, we could have spread out with wider spacing, but we didn't, as usual. We could have even spread out down the band (other than 3725 area) or gone anywhere for that matter – but we chose not to… no surprise.  

With only 5kc channel spacing, by right we should be running 2.5kc per side to prevent interference to one another.. (2.5 kc audio) This is ridiculous for AM, of course. However, many were running much more than 5kc audio and it was at times challenging to copy some weaker AM QSOs cuz of adjacent channel sidechatter.  That’s why it sounded like chaos in the ghetto as mentioned by a few here. Again, no surprise, just physics.

The point is it's a good idea to be able to switch in an audio filter to limit our AM bandwidth WHEN we crowd up…. and we will sometimes.  When the band is clear, we can switch it out and run “full” bandwidth, whatever that means.

The idea of operating down in the 3700 area is hi hi FB, but most of the AM stations will not do this. So, when crowded in, we need a filter to keep from beating each other up.  

The point is, no matter where we operate, we still need to have the ability to limit our bandwidth when the band becomes crowded.  The alternative will only create ssb jammers, AM haters -  and very important - the FEAR of most AMers to operate anywhere out of the cozy 3885 or 3725 areas.  With the ability to run a narrower bandwidth when needed, we can fit in most anywhere and slowly start migrating to other parts of the band without  “shocking” the locals all at once.  

As an EXTREME example, if someone were to operate a stock ricebox on AM with 2.4kc audio, he could go anywhere on the band and rarely get flack.  We need to have the ability to do something in-between this narrow  and  wideband audio WHEN needed.

Bottom line: When the band gets crowded, a low pass audio filter adjustable from ~ 4kc to 5kc is probably a good tool to have.  (even that's too wide for 5 kc spacing, however)

T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015