The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:31:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80M hot!  (Read 3105 times)
k7yoo

« on: February 05, 2010, 12:14:43 AM »

The band is coast to coast tonite! East coast and west coast full quieting in Winona MN
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:54:29 AM »

I just got up, me and wifey have to go to store tonite before stores run out of crap in the morning due to 24" of snow expected here. I'll head out to the shack for some action when we get back.  Cheesy
k7yoo

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:52:03 AM »

I heard you earlier in the week with a FB signal into Winona. I am looking forward to hearing the Raytheon on the air. That is some very KOOL heavy metal. All of the metering is worth at least 5db on the air and about 20db of confidence!!
I will save a pair of 810's for you.
Skip
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:48 AM »

Hi Skip,

I wish I had stayed with it last night but I needed sleep. I heard a few really unusual things about 9PM last night. I reported here about the Puerto rican AM activity last evening. I listened to them after they switched to SSB and suddenly the Puerto rican stations vanished and two guys in South Texas running AM came in S-9.

I never saw 80 meters change that fast and to that level. It was like I changed frequency. The guys in Texas continued to complain about the PR stations but no sign of them here. Sounds like you had fun!

Mike
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »

tnx Skip.  Cheesy  yeah, gonna feel like a real radio transmitter.  Wink  I'm working on how I can get it down here and perking a bit sooner than the original target date.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »

Earlier in the evening long-distance propagation was very poor, but condx were good for shorter distances.  I thought there  was maybe a solar flare, since some of the 40m SWBC stations sounded like they had aurora flutter on the carrier. (Didn't bother to check SpaceWeather.com for unusual solar activity.) I listened a little while on 40m; Radio Ethiopia was barely audible on 7110 at a time when they usually strap full quieting.  Very few detectable signals of any kind were heard between 7110 and 7200.  I called CQ on 75, and had a nice long AM QSO with an 8-lander on about 3722 kc/s, with strapping signals both directions.

Later, on 75m, the band must have opened up to Europe.  I didn't hear any of the AM gang on 3705, but there was a very loud French-speaking SSB QSO on about 3640, and a couple of weaker German-speaking QSO's were audible.  Interestingly, this was late in the morning for receiving Europe, about 0730 GMT.  That means it was already 8:30 AM on the continent.  Grey-line propagation?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W8IXY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 02:54:21 PM »

About midnight last evening, 75 was not good at all here in NE Ohio....weak, fluttery signals like Don described.  Apart from a ZS barely getting here on 40, 40 was also almost as dead as I have ever heard it, both phone and CW.   160 wasn't too good either, .... the usual SSB gang on 1850 was a bit weaker than usual.  There was one strong CW guy on 160 as well.

However, The 2000kw (yes 2 megawatt) LW station on 183 kHz from Germany was pounding in, stronger than I ever heard it before.

160, 75, 40 except for a few really good days/nights, have been sucky since last fall when the static died down from the warm weather storms.

It would certainly be interesting if we could get some kind of allocation on LF that would allow more than a couple of watts of power like we now have down around 137 or so.

See you on the AM rally this weekend.

Ted  W8IXY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015