The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:17:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Pictures of Ed Bolton, WA3PUN and the Wayne King Orchestra  (Read 21067 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: January 24, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »

Most of you remember Ed Bolton, WA3PUN.   I haven't heard him on in quite a while but hear he is still entertaining at the senior homes.  He spoke a lot about his stint as the lead singer for the Wayne King Orchestra.  I just happened to come across these old photos. Ed was a dapper gentleman and certainly looked like a performer!  Classic shots. Dig his hair.

1970's
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://stevensorchestra.tripod.com/edbolton/edbolton2007march.jpg&imgrefurl=http://stevensorchestra.tripod.com/id62.html&usg=__EqX7HIbUfcZfQl9qa5VgwZR9jJs=&h=1122&w=700&sz=630&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=l63B6tyekIQbXM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=94&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ded%2Bbolton%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26um%3D1

2006:
http://stevensorchestra.tripod.com/edbolton/edboltonnews2006.jpg

Here's a more recent picture in 2007:
http://stevensorchestra.tripod.com/edbolton/edbolton2007march.jpg

Has anyone heard or seen him in the last few years?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:40:19 PM »

Saw him several years ago at the Butler Hamfest. Seems to me I heard him several months ago late night on the air. Of course, as you get older, time seems to fly by more quickly so it may have been longer.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »

I believe you are correct Pete. I recall tuning around 75 meters several months ago, late at night, and hearing Ed. His voice is still quite distinctive. It has to be around 30 years since I last worked him. He was certainly a fixture on the band up and down the east coast. Nice find Tom!

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:16:07 PM »

Yes, uncle Ed is timeless. Sounds the same as he did then.

Can't remember exactly when, but sometime in 2008 I was down in the 80m portion of the band with (I think) the HUZman discussing Ed and having some chuckles when his voice quietly chimed in. He told us that even though he wasn't heard a lot, he was often listening in, and that his new band gig was keeping him busy. Pretty sure he did a show on BCQ for a while too, but had stopped than in the last year due to cost.

Ed was the first or second contact I made when I got the KW-1 on back in '90, and he promptly sent me three pages of information on how to make it 'sound like it should'. He had gotten rid of his and had a Globe King at the time, wonder if he still has it?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:31 PM »

I've heard it from a very good source, that's a rug on Eds head!
But he will never confess... Roll Eyes

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 01:21:41 AM »

well, now we know who conan o brian's real father was.....

addition: not intending to be disrespectful, I was just shocked at Ed's hair and of course I had to make a gag out of it.  Roll Eyes

* wayne2.jpg (166.18 KB, 580x474 - viewed 799 times.)

* 110707-conan-o-brien.jpg (9.06 KB, 200x266 - viewed 593 times.)
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 07:34:16 AM »

Here is uncle Ed with dog Candy singing to Johnny carson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2MbPZQQtho
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 08:06:58 AM »

Tom,
That really brings back the memories.  My mentor Harry, W3FDY (sk) and Ed were very good friends.  Ed use to send tapes to Harry and Harry would play those on 75M AM.  I distinctively remember the singing Dog, Amos and Andy and the Henry Kissinger ones.  Harry being the diplomat he was always made it sound like Ed was in the Ham Shack.  He would have those tapes qued up on the old Viking real to real and he would have lots of fun on the air with them. 

I distinctively remember Ed had a good radio friend who was a real old timer.  W3CIC or something similar is what I remember.  His name may have been Larry.   I believe when he passed away, Ed got his transmitter but I am not positive about that.   I belive Larry has a real OT transmitter homebrew of coarse.

Ed always tried to make his transmitters sound like Harry's but it never did!  Those days I believe he used a Globe King.  It was a few years later that he got the KW-1 but I believe it has long been sold. 

Joe, W3GMS         

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »

Ed is a fine fellow, and very talented indeed.

A few years back he was supposed to entertain at the AWA Fall Conference in Rochester, NY but believe that he became ill and missed the event.

As Todd mentioned, for sometime he did do a show on WBCQ where he recreated Amos and Andy, a very popular radio comedy in the early days of radio. Ed did all the voices of Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll and even the sound effects himself, quite a task indeed.

He also had a neat show on WBCQ entitled "Uncle Ed's Musical Memories", which I always very good to listen to.
I miss hearing Ed on WBCQ, but then again most evenings WBCQ skips over me in coastal Maine, so its really a moot point.

I've been thinking about sending in a donation and request for his programs on CD, this may prompt me to do just that.

The KW-1 is gone, rumor is that Ed's dog used to relieve himself on it....go figure.
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 08:22:37 AM »

Ed turns 79 this year.

Larry, W3CIC passed away probably 20 years ago. He used to live a few miles from me at Edgewater, Maryland, and his homebrew transmitter initially made its way to a local guy KC3SV, another "Ed," who passed away in 2005.  KC3SV showed up at one of the AM Festival Stations at Gaithersburg (Md.) but never quite fit in with the group. Some here will recall the cole slaw guitar he was playing.  

Anyway, Ed/SV in turn was friends with seldom-heard but persistent AMer Randy N3LRX, who I think provided a bridge to retain safe custody of Larry's transmitter and his SX-28 after SV passed away. Last I heard, the receiver was in a shed somewhere. (That station photo Bruce has since posted reminded me that the equipment traveled as a pair for a while.)

Ed/PUN eventually acquired Larry's transmitter and was on the air with it in more recent years honoring his longtime friend.  In the mid to late 1970s I would listen to the two of them in the afternoons. Larry always played straight man to Ed's funny bits, clearly enjoying the entertainment, and always taking his turn with an understated "OK ED FINE BUSINESS!"

Both had wonderfully clean audio and strong signals.   Ed was known for both a Globe King and  a KW-1, but he had to sell the Collins during a financial reversal. He blamed his situation in part on local government during a prolonged property tax dispute over his mother's home.  

Ed, a widower, had some domestic issues with a later woman named "Patty," yet the two of them stayed together for quite a while.  Ed, being quite the raconteur,  would get on the air and present the latest chapter in a colorful home-life during that time frame.

Trying to generate some income, he was a substitute teacher for a while. I suggested that he try to market his "radio show" at a time WBCQ was new on the airwaves and looking for programming. Eventually he did obtain a slot on their schedule, but I don't think he was able to find enough sponsors to pay for that time and also make any revenue from it.  It was then that he increased the number of his local tours and performances.

I last saw him at the Berryville (Va.) hamfest in 2006, on the left here, with our man Frank, KB3AHE.

W1UJR
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »

Great story Paul, thanks for sharing that, did not know the Larry angle, before my time.

Ken W2DTC has a very nice page on "Uncle Ed", photos of his shack, Amos and Andy info, and some background on his time with the Wayne King Orchestra -->> http://w2dtc.com/2009-0418-visit-wa3pun-page.htm

Below is a photo from the page showing W3CIC and the transmitter you mentioned.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 08:49:17 AM »

the CIC transmitter outstrapped the KW-1 by a pretty big amount to my station at the time.  Ed had a massive sig on that TX. Sounded about 2X better than the KW-1 too. To be fair nobody in their right mind would hack on a KW-1 anyways. The CCA Mafia would put out a contract on you and repo the tx.
WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 08:58:07 AM »

Derb wasn't Ed the founder and keeper of the KW-1 registry ?

His may have been one of the preferred "early" serial numbers which had better audio. Later examples had some different components in the audio stages that made it sound more like one of the junior Collins slopbucket rigs.

Here's a sound file of one of Ed's signoffs.  Classic stuff. New Year's Eve, 1995 into 1996.

http://amfone.net/index.php?ind=media&op=file_view&iden=191

I just left a message on the phone number mentioned in the newspaper article that Tom posted. The number comes back to the same address as his FCC license, but it's registered in someone else's name. We shall see if I get a callback and I'll try to encourage him back on the air.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 09:40:32 AM »

I do knot no. I think K0BS was in charge of it for most of the last 15 years or so.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »

One never knows what one will find on 75m late at nite Grin  Grin

One night I had signed out of the group somewhere around 2:30 or 3:00 am. As was customary for me, after shutting down the transmitter, I gave the receiver tuning a spin before shutting it down. This was one time I really wish I had a recorder!!

Somewhere up above the "window" 3905 or 3910, I stumbled over Ed Bolton and Chuck Oneil (K1KW) batting it back and forth in blackface. Ed was doing his usual Anus and Andy, and Chuck was doing Fred Sandford. (Chuck does the best Fred Sandford I have ever heard, maybe even better than Redd Foxx) They were going at it for at least a half hour.

They absolutely cracked me up! ! ! I laughed so hard that I fell out of the operating chair, and laid there on the floor laughing untill my sides hurt so bad that I could barely breathe! ! ! ! ! ! ! !  I would have given anything to have been able to record it. It would truely be one of AM's greatest moments.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »

I do knot no. I think K0BS was in charge of it for most of the last 15 years or so.

Ed once told me who started the list, think he took it over in the 70s-80s sometime. He was keeping it when I found #89 back in '88. He turned it over to Butch in the 90s sometime, and Butch either turned it over to or shared it with Bob W0YVA maybe 5-6 years back when Bob got interested. Ed sold his transmitter to Rich WA1DEJ(?) back when he needed money and said he'd always wished he kept it at least a little longer because the prices shot up so high.

I recall stumbling onto him with a group of guys late one night, most of them around Michigan, Ohio, and NY. One fellow told me he was located "at the bottom of Lake Huron" (on the map of course) which sent Ed into uncontrollable laughter that continued through the rest of the QSO. Every time he tried to comment on something, he'd start to laugh. Which caused everyone else to laugh, of course. Was quite a scene.

One night I had signed out of the group somewhere around 2:30 or 3:00 am. As was customary for me, after shutting down the transmitter, I gave the receiver tuning a spin before shutting it down. This was one time I really wish I had a recorder!!

I remember you mentioning this when Steve and I were at your place in October, but forgot until now. Wonder if anyone else might have gotten a recording of it? Bert was probably up late that night.  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »

I heard Uncle Ed on 3705 around 6pm, just a few days ago.

I give PUN, some credit for my becoming a ham. In early 70's I used to SWL
to him and Larry W3CIC (Canada India Canada) on 75meters almso every day after school. One Day
Ed listed his address on the air, and I sent him a reception report. He replied with a letter
and QSL card, he encourage me to go library and get a book about amateur radio and get my license.
That's what I did and rest is history... Thanks ED and AM, cuz my SW didn't have a product detector...

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 01:12:08 PM »

I talked to Ed about a week ago.  He seems to be doing well, still doing the nursing home gig.  I heard him and another station down on about 3725, and called him.  The other station was signing out, so Ed and I went on for a while.  Because of health problems, he hasn't done as much late night operating in recent years, preferring to get plenty of rest.  I think he is now pushing 80, and I know he had heart surgery several years ago.

Larry, W3CIC, used to be the main electrician in charge of maintaining the electrical system and wiring at the Capitol building in Washington, DC.  I recently came across a letter to the editor that he wrote to R/9 magazine in 1935.  I forget the topic, but it had something to do with some kind of ham radio politics of the day.

I agree that Ed sounds better on Larry's homebrew rig than he did on the KW-1, despite the fact that the KW-1 was one of the earlier models that sound better, or else someone had modified it back to the original design.  It blew a mod transformer, which was replaced with a VM-5 or a CVM-5.  I recall advising him to disconnect the splatter filter to avoid blowing the new transformer. He eventually sold the KW-1 for about $5000, when someone made him what he thought was an offer he could not refuse.  Little did he know what they would be going for just a few years later.

I visited with Ed about 15 years ago when I was travelling back with my family from Cape Cod, and realised from the road map that we would pass right through Harrisburg.  I rang him on the phone and he invited us to stop by.  At first, my wife was P&M'ing about oh no, not another boring visit with some ham she had never met.  During our visit, Patty put together a meal with meatloaf (to which my normal reaction would be "yuk").  It turned out delicious, and she served it with vegetables and all the trimmings, better than any meal we would have ever found at a restaurant.  He showed me Larry's old rig, which he either had not got on the air yet, or was down with some kind of technical problem, requiring him to use the Globe King. After we left, my wife said she thoroughly enjoyed the visit.  Ed and Patty kept the kids, who were small at the time, entertained.

Ed had two 75A-4's, one stacked on top of  the other.  Interestingly, one of the A4's was re-labelled "75A4-A".  Turns out it was custom modified by Robert Stankus, N1AAR.  Remember, that's the a-hole who petitioned the FCC to outlaw AM shortly after W2NRM started his original Press Exchange in the early 1980's. Stankus and Howie were friends, and there was speculation for years afterwards that the purpose of the petition may have been to draw readership to Howie's newsletter, which in those pre-internet days, was about the only way news about ham radio happenings related to AM could be widely disseminated, since every one of the mainstream amateur radio publications refused to acknowledge the continued existence of amateur AM. The petition was given an RM-number but was ultimately tossed out by the FCC after they received a large number of comments, but only one comment supported the petition. Later on, Stankus was reported to have been convicted for mail fraud, for running classified ads for Kenwood riceboxes for sale at a bargain price, but failing to deliver the rigs after having received the money.

The other night Ed said he is still living in the same house, on property that he inherited from his grandmother.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »

I remember Larry and Ed talking at length. I always thought that Larry was a stately southern African American by his dialect. He must have been born further south than where he made his living.  

I may be wrong again on this but it was JMHO.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 02:55:15 PM »

Great photo of Larry, W3CIC (Canada India Canada). I used to listen to him and Ed as a JN SWL many years ago. They were often joined by the likes of W3ZGW, W3OLU (running a pair of 812s modulated by 811s) and W3YAM/W3OW.

You can hear a clip of ZGW here.

http://www.amwindow.org/audio/htm/w3zgw.htm
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »

Thanks for filling in the details.  Maybe we will hear Ed back on the air soon.
Joe, W3GMS

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 03:50:59 PM »

Steve,
Talking about Mike, W3ZGW (sk) he gave me my first 6 ft rack when I was about 14 or 15 years old.  It was a Wilcox Rack just like the ones Harry, W3FDY (sk) had his KW built into.  I remember my Dad driving me up to Indian Trail Park with his Plymonth Valiant pulling a U Haul trailer. 

Oh yes, Signal Hill Lancaster Mr. W3YAM later, W3OW with those phase verticals that Bob W2EBS designed for him.  If I remember right, George had a pair of 813's modulated by a pair of 810's.  Quit a nice sounding transmitter as I remember.  George ran very flat audio but it was very clean.   

All of those guys knew Ed, WA3PUN.

Joe, W3GMS 

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »

Glad to hear Ed has been heard recently.  I sometimes fall asleep with the bedside RX on. Last week I was sure I heard him talking in a dream. Must have been the night others heard him... Grin

Speaking of the OT's - Anyone remember Harper, W2IV?  Big signal. He was one of my early JN AM contacts on an HT-32 using only 17 watts. I was weak and tinny.  I was impressed how he made a big deal to let me in the big-gun round table and comment on my little world. They say we are judged on how we treat the little guys - he passed in spades.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 04:36:16 PM »

The last time I heard PUN was early part of last summer.  

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 05:55:02 PM »

Tom,
W2IV sounds like quite a guy.  Hopefully his style left a legacy and our ops of today will carry on the tradition.

In listening to you operate and deal with new op's he definitely rubbed off on you.  You have always given time to those learning and climbing the ladder.

Lead by example is the only way to go...

Joe, W3GMS

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015