The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:50:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning Ohio motel reservation shadiness or scam  (Read 3730 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« on: January 22, 2010, 11:39:18 PM »

Last month I made an online reservation for a motel room near Dayton for the Hamvention.  Was in a hurry so made it on-line.  I've done it before so it didn't seem like a big deal.  My reservation was with Knight's Inn in Springboro OH.  It was made through ohiohotels.org for three nights.  Got an email confirmation and figured everything was cool and forgot about it.  Today AmEx statement comes in mail.  Charge to my card for $176.  I've never had a charge to my credit card for the full term  before I even darken the door of a place of lodging.  I call the number on the statement for something called HBC Hotel Reservations and get a computer of course.  After I jump through some hoops I get a reservation number and the number for the motel.  Then the computer ends the call.  I also find out that they'll charge my account even if I never show up to spend the three nights there.  I call the motel and get a guy who says he is the manager and flatly says he has no record of any reservation to stay there from me and he refuses to do anything else.  Hangs up on me.  I have to call back to get his name.  Next I dig up the original confirmation email.  There is a hotlink in it to click on to cancel my reservation.  I follow the link, enter my res. number and last four of my AmEx account and read the fine print.  There is a $25 cancellation fee.  I bite the bullet and cancel but wanted to let you all know about this sleazy practice I have not experienced before.   Summary:  If you make a reservation on line and get taken to www.ohiohotels.org find another place to stay or call the motel and do your business directly with the front desk on the phone.  I guess it's back to Hampton Inn for me--what I get for trying to save a few bucks.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 11:51:43 PM »

Oh no! Not AMEX! 

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on this Rob.  I've used Hotels.com before and it went okay, but I did notice that there were things like large cancellation fees, or if you don't show up without cancelling you still get charged in full.  I think I prefer to talk to an intelligent person that works at the hotel and seems likely to still be working for them and just pay a little extra (i.e. normal prices) and KNOW that it will all be okay. 

Another bad point to these online reservations is you are NOT guaranteed you'll get the room you ask for.... i.e. non-smoking, king sized etc.  The fine print says they may substitute other rooms according to "availability".  HUH?  I thought the whole point is to RESERVE that room for me? 

Caviar Empty

AMI#1684
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:48:59 AM »

I'd call amex and dispute that $25, clearly if the clerk had no reservation for you it was a shady scam. ohiohotels.com deserves nothing except a webgripe and a boot in the 455.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:38:50 AM »

Pat said:
I'd call amex and dispute that $25, clearly if the clerk had no reservation for you it was a shady scam. ohiohotels.com deserves nothing except a webgripe and a boot in the 455.

I have to agree with Patrick on this one, Rob. I've been a AMEX guy since 87 and the few times that I had a disagreement with a charge on my account, they have been prompt and forthcoming and POLITE! I would give AMEX a call and tell them the whole story. They drop vendors for crap like this.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 09:38:53 AM »

Good advice.  Thanks guys -- I will check my account in a few days to see if the charge has been removed, then when the $25 can. fee is on there I'll call AmEx and speak with them about the whole business.   Or, if nothing happens I'll dispute the original charge.  I imagine the can. fee has to be on my account before I dispute it so I'll wait until Mon. or Tues.

Rob

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:12:43 PM »

Rob. AMEX has an online dispute form, try that.  But do follow up with a paper version so you will have a permanent record.  AMEX will get those people for you and you won't have to lift a finger. 
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:19 AM »

Rob. AMEX has an online dispute form, try that.  But do follow up with a paper version so you will have a permanent record.  AMEX will get those people for you and you won't have to lift a finger. 

Thanks Jim, that's good to know.  Glad I use AmEx for all my paypal eBay type transactions.  I'll find the online dispute form and save myself from waiting on hold listening to music.

Rob

N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »

And the good thing about doing the above is that AMEX will backcharge the merchant and get the money. The merchant will be the loser - not you or AMEX.

Pat
N4LTA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015