The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:05:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R390 OR 390-A  (Read 33198 times)
N3WWL
Founding

« on: January 22, 2010, 06:51:28 PM »

Have a chance to get either one.  Had a 390-A, but never a 390.  Your thoughts on performance, etc.Huh
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »

Why not both???
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:00:52 PM »

Jay,
Why get that old junk when you have a flex?

Brett
(very smug)
k3zrf

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »

if you had a 390A before why not try a 390?

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »

Have a chance to get either one.  Has a 390-A, but never a 390.  Your thoughts on performance, etc.Huh

Hi Jay,

I have them both. I have a 1953 Motorola R-390 and a 1967 EAC R-390A. They are completely operational, and installed within my shack. In fact, I was listening to 160M last night on the R-390.

I really like these receivers, and I take the audio off of the diode load in either of them and feed it into a high quality outboard tube amplifier and speaker arrangement. The internal line or local audio section in either receiver is for the birds in my opinion; poor quality telephone-grade audio transformers with very little usable response much below 150 hz, and high-distortion pentode voltage amplifiers. Once you take the audio off the diode load and use an outboard amplfier, the quality improves radically. Neither receiver was designed for hi-fidelity reproduction; they were designed for use in RTTY, radiotelegraphy, and communications-grade AM circuits.

To some extent,  I think the R-390A gets something of a bad rap for poorer audio quality due to the ringing inherent in the magnetostrictive filters in the IF section. Again, when the audio is sampled off of the diode load, the audio quality is much improved, although the ringing remains somewhat apparent. I would not consider it highly irritating, however.

The R-390 on the other hand, employs an L-C filter arrangement in the IF. The audio is much smoother due to the relative freedom from ringing within the IF strip. I can listen to AM broadcast stations or high quality amateur AM signals for hours on end with my R-390 with very little listening fatigue; as I stated above, I do notice some ringing artifacts in the audio with the R-390A. One thing I have always noticed about the R-390; strange as it may seem, the lowest octave of bass is much more prominent with the R-390 when the audio is taken off of the diode load, compared to the R-390A. For example, when a strong carrier comes on the air, it can really move the 15-inch woofer in my speaker cabinet, whereas I really do not notice this same effect as prominently with the R-390A. I am using DC coupling off of the detector in both receivers; I think the suggestion some users have made about utilizing a 10 uf DC blocking capacitor is not valid, as there should be no DC component at the detector output, and the cap is superfluous in this case.

As I said earlier, I really like them both and my R-390 and R-390A are keepers. I could honestly live with either of them for high-quality/high-fidelity AM receiving usage, but my ultimate choice would be to go for an R-390. They are somewhat more difficult to source, but it is still a very common receiver, relatively speaking.

Prices for both receivers have dropped markedly in recent years, but the R-390 still commands something of a premium, probably for the reasons I have provided.

I hope that this helps. As with anything else, your needs and mileage may vary.

Bruce

* R-390 Restored, of 8-8-09.jpg (428.35 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 851 times.)

* R-390A Restored, of 8-8-09.jpg (401.1 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 971 times.)

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 09:00:18 PM »

Jay
They are both great receivers. Heavy and will not break. And if cared for will last longer than us.
THey may not shine in tight busy bands and they are not a contest radio, but great A.M. radios.
They were designed to be in a hot comm center and tuned to whatever freq was being transmitted and be a reliable unbreakable radio.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 12:25:43 AM »

I prefer the 390 myself.  A little better audio, and more substantial engineering.  BUT - remember the 390 is a lot rarer than the 390A and parts harder to obtain.  About the only components in common are the knobs and the Veeder-Root counter  Grin

The 390 uses a completely different power supply design - the whole B+ is regulated by a pair of 6082 dual triodes, which are mounted upside down and spread their prodigious heat upwards to their sockets.  One 390 I had, the bases on the 6082s were literally charred from heat.  The 6082 is rather uncommon, and not too expensive, but it can be replaced with a TV horizontal output transistor if need be.

If the R-390 you're after is in primo shape and all other things being equal, I'd suggest that one.  If either are gonna need work,  go for the 390A.  Or, as Buddly suggested, go fer both!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 01:02:23 AM »

The both suck. They are heavy, use tons of power, and have lots of tubes. Neither has a digital read out, spectrum display, variable filters, sync detection and recording capability. The pieces of crap don't even have a USB or Firewire connector on them!

But they were built to defeat Communism. Get one.
KK4RF

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 07:40:57 AM »

Defeating Communism sounds good to me! Where can I buy one? 73s, Marty, KK4RF
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 08:39:52 AM »

I have an R-390A. It's the shack work-horse.  I use mine for everything, including music on the BC band to 75M AM "Battle Conditions" receiving. I just feed the audio out through a transformer into a 12 inch speaker.  Sounds find to me.  Band changes are a bit tough, you don't want to go from 160 to 10 meters a lot.

It's a very good receiver.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »

Get neither and find a R-725A and have the best of both worlds. It is basically a 390A with a 390 IF module and was used for data and diversity reception since the mechanical filter phase delay made it impossible. You can also clone your own.

I wouldnt let a 390 in the house having worked on them and the 390A in the Navy. It is a mechanical Rube Goldberg and its unreliability is why the 390A was developed.

All versions need audio and AGC help for ham use as well as a product detector for SSB/CW. Ive heard that the Sherwood SE3 works wonders on them for AM. I have a Hammarlund HC-1 on a 390A but it gets little use these days.

Carl
KM1H
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 11:12:16 AM »

R390A followed at the I.F. output by an R1307A so there is your variable IF with 1-2-4-8 KC bandwidth, USB, LSB, CW/BFO, FM, and FSK, plus an audio bandwidth selection of flat-6KC-2KC,  along with very good audio from PP triode connected 6AQ5's and an oversized OPT and if that is not good enough for golden ears take the audio from the volume control.

take that ya smug flex owners!!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »

I wouldnt let a 390 in the house having worked on them and the 390A in the Navy. It is a mechanical Rube Goldberg and its unreliability is why the 390A was developed.

According to the military, the 390A was developed primarily as a cost reduction measure, not to improve performance.  I even have a TM that describes the differences and how each of the major changes reduced costs. The mechanical filters offer slightly sharper selectivity, at the expense of the filter ringing distortion.

Another good receiver is the R-392.  It is a compact version of the R-390, with tubes running off 28v for both plate and filament.  It has better audio with a push-pull final stage.  There is no 16 kc/s selectivity option, but the 2-4-8 are about the same as the 390.

Actually, the selectivity available with the 390A sucks.  The 4 kc/s is too narrow for AM  except under extremely crowded condx, but 8 kc/s is too wide for typical prime time ham band congestion. They really needed to have included a 6 kc/s filter in addition to the 4 and 8.

I have found the 390 and 392 to work better in the 4k position since the skirts are not quite so tight.

The biggest problem I have found with these receivers is lack of maintenance of the mechanical assemblies.  In particular, the roller bearings that ride the edges of the cams may freeze up from lack of oil, so that the roller slides along the cam instead of rolling, and this wears a dimple into the  roller.  Once that happens, it is nearly impossible to  get it to roll again, no matter how much cleaning and lubricating is done. It will stop as soon as the dimple contacts the cam, and just slide along, of course wearing an even deeper dimple into the surface.  I have managed to file out the dimple in a couple of cases enough to get it to roll again, but the wear had not become excessive; still, I don't think it would ever work as reliably as an undamaged one.

Use light machine oil on the roller bearing, and grease on the surface of the cam edges.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »

I also have both, very fine examples that were completely rebuilt by Rick Mish.  If I had to part with one, I'd let the 390A go before the 390.  The 390 with a Sherwood sync detector gets the most use.

Some time ago, one of the 6082 regulators tubes went south.  I purchased several spares,  and also tried a commercially available solid state regulator module.  The regulator kit didn't work properly, and I pulled it out and put the 6082s back in. 

Grant/NQ5T
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 10:37:29 PM »

I don't think Jay is a guy who likes to work on radios.
If you break a clamp, that can be a lot of work to fix.

I did really like the IF output on the r390, it seemed to work very well on transmit with no signs of overloading, the level was close to the receive level which made the o scope a handy monitor of RX and TX signals.

My R390a seemed a bit on the noisy side, and I could copy weak signals much better on the homebrew.

Its big and heavy, but its likely the best of the old tube receivers overall...

Brett
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 10:09:44 AM »

According to the military, the 390A was developed primarily as a cost reduction measure, not to improve performance.  I even have a TM that describes the differences and how each of the major changes reduced costs. The mechanical filters offer slightly sharper selectivity, at the expense of the filter ringing distortion.

That is only part of the picture. Cost reduction included maintenance and spares costs also.

Collins built what they were told in the bid description and contract. The Army was behind the criteria and it was a circle jerk design by committee from the start. Granted the concept was fine and the end result met the goals when it left the factory. The 390 is still a fine radio if you have the skills to restore one or simply write checks to someone else. I just wouldnt want one as my main radio considering the potential down time involved.

OTOH, aging mechanical filters and the work involved to overhaul them to eliminate most of the ringing is a valid concern for the 390A. Perhaps there are other filters that could be adapted from the S Line or elsewhere?

Carl
KM1H
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 12:05:12 AM »

The 390 is still a fine radio if you have the skills to restore one or simply write checks to someone else. I just wouldnt want one as my main radio considering the potential down time involved.

Therein lies the real story. Once you've played with them for a while it's not an issue, provided you have the required tools and some basic sense. Though I do get a chuckle out of the new-age 'experts' who claim to have restored theirs, when they actually had the panel painted and sent the radio to Mish and/or Ripple. Find users who have used and repaired them for a decade or more for accurate info if you really need precise info.

I do know of a few 725s that will be coming available in the next year, but they won't be cheap. Like Johnny, I prefer the original R-390 myself. For you Jay, unless you want to pluck the audio off the diode load as with the A model, the R-390 is a decent radio once it's returned to top form. Just make sure it's where you want it when you set it down. Wink

OTOH, aging mechanical filters and the work involved to overhaul them to eliminate most of the ringing is a valid concern for the 390A. Perhaps there are other filters that could be adapted from the S Line or elsewhere?

If you have the bulkhead adaptor from the dead filter or a replacement, you can use any number of options. The Dave Curry filters are nice but again, not cheap. IIRC, the 9kc filter is actually ceramic, not mechanical. The common failure of the old filters appears to be melted foam rubber used to support and isolate the filter from the case. This will only get worse in coming years. Sometimes the fine wire does indeed break, usually caused by the deteriorating foam and resulting shifting. Sometimes it's just plain age, especially with the 4kc filters. They seem to get the most use.

Both receivers are well worth having. Whichever you decide on Jay, do yourself a favor: get yourself a few spare gear clamps. They are by far the highest failure item in both sets, a result of both age and over tightening. After you've done it a few times, dropping the front panel is a 5 minute or less job. Re-timing the gears is pretty simple too, as long as you can see. It's more a nuisance than anything, but not something you should have to do very often.

It's never to late to fight communism, after all. Be prepared!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 07:38:35 AM »

It's never to late to fight communism, after all.

Even here at home.
November can't get here fast enuf for me.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »

It's never to late to fight communism, after all.

Even here at home.
November can't get here fast enuf for me.

WOW times are a chainging.......again?

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:54 PM »

The 390 is still a fine radio if you have the skills to restore one or simply write checks to someone else. I just wouldnt want one as my main radio considering the potential down time involved.

Therein lies the real story. Once you've played with them for a while it's not an issue, provided you have the required tools and some basic sense. Though I do get a chuckle out of the new-age 'experts' who claim to have restored theirs, when they actually had the panel painted and sent the radio to Mish and/or Ripple. Find users who have used and repaired them for a decade or more for accurate info if you really need precise info.

Yup, I am one of those "new age experts", no doubt!

I have had my R-390 electrically and mechanically restored by Rick Mish, and I handled all of the cosmetic restoration myself. And I had my R-390A gone through by Chuck Rippel and it did not need any cosmetic restoration. Although I have been a ham for 40 years, I still know my personal limits insofar as how much repair work I am willing to take on with regard to a unit that can be difficult to service for the unintiated. So yes, I wrote checks to both fellows and was quite happy with the results.

But can someone clarify for me what the heck "new age" has to do with any of this? I don't hang crystals on my equipment to improve it's resonance with the universe, etc. I don't chant ommmmmmm to improve my transmit audio quality. Or is this just a judgemental comment directed at others not willing or confident enough to service their own equipment, such as me in this case? I guess I or any others that are "new-age experts" get no credit for designing and building their own 1000 watt plate modulated transmitter, etc., etc. Perhaps only non-new agers do that sort of thing?

Gentlemen, and Jay in particular, please ignore my recommendations with regard to my personal experience with the R-390 or R-390A; since I honestly do not have the KA1KAQ-sanctioned recommendation of at least 10 years minimum experience with either receiver, my comments as a user are simply not valid here, at least according to Todd.

Oh, I almost forgot; my first operating experience with an R-390A actually goes back to 1973, when I was WA2Oily,Greasy, and Slimey. I had a summer job at Comtech Laboratories and they had an R-390A that I used to play around with during lunchbreaks, etc. That is when I first became tremendously impressed with this receiver, and always wanted one from that time forward. But since I did not own an R-390A back then, let alone serviced one, my comments and/or recommendations still should not count, at least according to the "new age expert" police and high priests.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 07:30:33 PM »

Ahhhh heck when I was at Ft Monmouth in Receiver and transmitter repair, we would listen to WABC for a few hours on the 390A and the distorted audio.
And as an excersize in trouble shooting we would put a trouble in a RX and see how long it took a fellow student to make it work again. AGC problems are hard to find.
As long as you have the manual and a sig gen, and a volt meter, you'll be ok.

If I had the money, I would send mine to Rick Mish just to get it back to factory spec. Time is in short supply for me these dayz. As long as it's close to .2 microvolt sensitivity and the filters work............I'm happy

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 07:53:14 PM »

Bruce I don't know if I fit that category and ought to be insulted too.

My limitations have always been a matter of not having the time. I also have some generous friends who always have been helpful guiding my projects and even doing some or much of the work. (Including Chuck Rippel, WA4HHG, whom I've known since 1972 when I helped him toward his Amateur license) This does not take anything away from my first-hand experience, and my ability to convey that information to someone else.

The other night I joined a roundtable with three or four stations I had never worked before.  All are longtime AMers but out of my usual signal zone.  One guy is running a pair of 810s into a pair of 4-400s which prompted me to tell the story of my 1953 homebrew transmitter, abandoned and incomplete by the original builder who succumbed to SSB in the time frame.

I picked it up in 1976 from a posting at a local ham store (Comm Center, Laurel, MD, long gone), after two of his friends were settling his estate. They seemed pleased that someone was actually going to complete the set and get it on the air as intended, but I didn't have a clue how to build something up and there was no schematic.

Thanks to a few guys I had met on The Big 85 (you know who you are) I completed it over Christmas break and was on the air in 1977 for quite a few years with it.

I still don't have the depth of technical expertise, and I certainly have even less time now than back then.  

I do not think that makes me any less qualified to comment and venture an opinion on such rigs that I've had some sort of experience with. And where my opinion can be helpful to others, it's done with a sense of encouragement of the person expressing interest.  

But can someone clarify for me what the heck "new age" has to do with any of this? I don't hang crystals on my equipment to improve it's resonance with the universe, etc. I don't chant ommmmmmm to improve my transmit audio quality. Or is this just a judgemental comment directed at others not willing or confident enough to service their own equipment, such as me in this case? I guess I or any others that are "new-age experts" get no credit for designing and building their own 1000 watt plate modulated transmitter, etc., etc. Perhaps only non-new agers do that sort of thin
g?

Once you've played with them for a while it's not an issue, provided you have the required tools and some basic sense. Though I do get a chuckle out of the new-age 'experts' who claim to have restored theirs, when they actually had the panel painted and sent the radio to Mish and/or Ripple. Find users who have used and repaired them for a decade or more for accurate info if you really need precise info.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:36 AM »

Yup, I am one of those "new age experts", no doubt!

But can someone clarify for me what the heck "new age" has to do with any of this?

I guess I or any others that are "new-age experts" get no credit for designing and building their own 1000 watt plate modulated transmitter, etc., etc. Perhaps only non-new agers do that sort of thing?

Is that the rig you showed me when I was over there? I thought you said it was a commercial transmitter that came out of that old ship-to-shore station on Long Island (band-switching RF deck at least?), modulator section from a Gates rig you parted out, and a power supply you built for it? It was the one with 833s and wires hanging out the back, kind of over in the corner against a wall. I admit, it's been a couple years.

More to the point (and why I bothered to mention it), my remarks above refer to a group of know-it-all types who appeared on the original R-390 email list started originally by Mike W1RC and Chuck back in the mid 90s (I think you only joined that list a couple years ago Bruce, so that would leave you out). Most had some hands on experience with 'radios' but were more likely to parrot whatever they 'heard' (read) on the internet. The term 'non-A' to describe the original R-390 is a clear sign of this new-age thinking, choosing to describe something by what it isn't rather than what it is. Of all the examples that I've seen and all the documentation, never has any R-390 been tagged 'Receiver, Radio R-390 Non-A/URR'. And you never seem to hear folks referring to the SX-28 non-A or KWM-2 non-A, so it appears to be specific to the group.

Anyhow, after a couple years the new experts knew more than the guys who used and serviced the gear for the military over the decades, a number of whom were list members, a couple even having PhDs in different areas. The result was most of the knowledge base leaving the list or going silent while great debates took place on the deadly radioactive meters, proper replacements for the 3TF7 ballast tubes that would meet with approval, and the black crud found inside of the electrolytics. Another great debate swirled around black-paneled R-390As which of course had to have been used by the CIA, NSA, and other 'black' agencies. This despite the fact that the last batch NSA surplussed were still in their original gray paint. No matter, it was all a conspiracy - they paid for custom paint jobs, then paid to repaint them back to gray (and scratch them up) before sending them to surplus.

Then there was the time at Hosstraders when one of these experts proceeded to tell a well-know R-390 man exactly how things were and why, ala internet info. Mike tells the story better than me.

So yes - the 'new age'/misinformation issue is one to avoid when someone is seriously looking for one of these fine receivers and desires to know the differences, what to look for and avoid, etc. And I would be suspicious of accepting advice at face value from someone who had limited experience with the radio, regardless of their own perceived technical skills. Beyond the block diagrams, it's not like any other radio. The R-390 family has enjoyed a great surge in interest over the last decade or so, at the same time the internet and its associated myths were exploding. I know Jay has owned the A model previously and probably knows most of the potential pitfalls involved, but may not be as well-versed in the R-390. It therefore seemed important to me to give him a head's up. If it made anyone feel somehow guilty or inadequate, it certainly wasn't the purpose of my post. Hopefully the knowledge shared here will help them overcome these feelings. It's supposed to be a hobby, after all, not an online ledger to keep track of profit or accomplishments. Let's focus on answering Jay's questions, not making personal attacks.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »

You described that list to a T Todd!  I was on it for about a year in the mid 90's and had enough. It made me want to puke when the brain dead experts, including the new age ones who would take your money for a "restoration", insisted that only Orange Drops could be used.

P.T. Barnum sure had it right.

Carl
KM1H
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »

I quit that list after one too many discussions on which spray cleaners were best.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015