The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:28:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: INTERNET SLOW? VIS FLAGS  (Read 15403 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: January 22, 2010, 10:41:08 AM »

Any body notice if their Internet is slow the last two days? I have been in two locations using DSL. Unusally slow. It took 50 minutes to upload 50mb this morning. Usually a 20 minute session.

I like the visitor flags. Nice addition

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »

Terribly slow. DSL here too.
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 12:33:07 PM »

I'm on a normally fast cable internet connection here and find some services very slow and others normal. I downloaded a movie from iTunes yesterday and it took well over twice as long as normal. I've been to Dell.com a few times in the past week and you could take a nap between page loads. Fone seems normal as do others but I do see something out of the ordinary.

Mike
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »

ATT DSL here too. A few (unimportant) websites are giving me grief but overall everything is still normal.  Experienced the same delay at work on the same websites.  Not sure what work is using for their gateway.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »

Any body notice if their Internet is slow the last two days? I have been in two locations using DSL. Unusally slow. It took 50 minutes to upload 50mb this morning. Usually a 20 minute session.

Fred

One of the main reasons why I love my cable. I can upload 50 mb file in generally less then 2 minutes. Download is even faster generally by a ratio of 4 to 1. But, speed depends a lot on how far away you are from the originating site or the destination site. Even my new TV and Blu-ray player are now connected to the internet router. Technology matches on.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:45:07 PM »

The thing is AT&T no longer exists, it is now at&t. It’s the old Cingular wireless company in disguise

AT&T was bought by your old friend Southwestern Bell Brian.  They have Pac Bell, the old Southern Bell and several others plus Cingular Wireless.  All are now under the AT&T banner again.  They don't want Quest because of low population figures and they can't rip off as much from the mountain states as they can in  higher population states.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 07:10:59 PM »

It's funny how Ma Bell tries to make a come-back, even though the US gummint says no no no.....you can't be a big monopoly anymore.
Even though it WAS the best telephone system in the Whirl.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 08:09:16 PM »

No, everything is now owned by the old Cingular wireless company and the name was changed to at&t. Everything was brought under one umbrella and it’s a complete mess because you have all of theses old companies being run by the old Cingular executives under that umbrella nationwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBC_Communications
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »

Cingular purchased the AT&T Wireless Services. The Wireless Services was a subsidiary of AT&T. AT&T Wireless was renamed New Cingular Wireless Services. Somewhere around the end of 2005 they announced that all Cingular services would be marketed under the AT&T brand name. Sometime in early 2006, AT&T Inc. announced it's merger with Bell South. Shortly after that, all the Cingular Wireless stuff started to be re-branded AT&T. They then started hyping "The New AT&T". I think some time in 2009, they dropped the "The New". In 2005 AT&T Inc. brought the original AT&T Corporation (the old "ma bell"). AT&T Communications which still provides long distance services,  is now a subsidiary of AT&T Inc. AT&T Corporation is also considered a subsidiary of AT&T Inc. If you were employed by AT&T Corp. during the 70's, 80's or 90's, most of the time the only way you knew what subsidiary you were working under at any one month, was to see what title/logo was on your monthly pay stub. After divestiture, it was a wild and crazy time.

Some additional AT&T Inc. corporate profile:
http://www.att.com/gen/investor-relations?pid=5711    Then click on corporate history

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »

Who can keep up with anything in the wireless arena?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »

Fred, I used to work from time to time with the professor who came up with the legal theory behind the AT&T breakup and lead the case. He was quite proud of what he'd done. It was his crowning achievement.

I also recall a great comic from that time - back when the old Soviet Union and we were having nuclear disarmament talks - the comic showed the Soviet team getting some last minute advice. "Be careful, a country that just destroyed the best phone system in the world may not be behaving rationally".

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 10:50:06 PM »

That' enough to make your head spin around and come off Roll Eyes

It still doesn’t matter; the old AT&T which was considered a monopoly and controlled everything back in the 1980's is long gone.

Anyway, Verizon Rules!!! I just wish Apple would make their phones work on everyone else’s system and the FED would allow Verizon and others to infiltrate areas where at&t has landlines. I wanted Verizon’s Internet, but I can’t get it here because they are not allowed in an at&t service area. What kind of screwed up deal is that?

I'm watching the game. I Hope the Vikings win Grin

With the coming of divestiture, on January 1, 1984, AT&T became a new Company having to shed all of it's regional operating companies and Bell System Logos/Trademarks. Most of these regional companies were operated as if they were back in the old wild west. I also don't believe AT&T "controlled everything back in the 1980's". AT&T still today provides long distance land line services. Up until a year ago, AT&T provided my long distance services and Verizon provided my local/regional services. Now my phone, internet, and cable TV services are provided by one vendor. My wireless service is still Verizon. Your issue with Verizon/AT&T might be regional since it's not true around here.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 11:21:28 PM »

Fred, I used to work from time to time with the professor who came up with the legal theory behind the AT&T breakup and lead the case. He was quite proud of what he'd done. It was his crowning achievement.

I also recall a great comic from that time - back when the old Soviet Union and we were having nuclear disarmament talks - the comic showed the Soviet team getting some last minute advice. "Be careful, a country that just destroyed the best phone system in the world may not be behaving rationally".

Many would say that the Carterfone decision in 1968 was the dike pin hole that started the dam burst and the eventual down hill spiral of AT&T. With that decision, customer demands for new innovated type phone products and services escalated and competition from domestic U. S. and international manufacturers for these new products was on the rise. Prior to divestiture, the regional phone companies were not permitted to buy products from outside sources even though their customers were now demanding them. Also during the 70's, the FCC believed AT&T was in violation of some antitrust law and the Department of Justice took AT&T to court. The resultant ruling brought on divestiture. New telephone companies, tons of new telephone type products, and new services sprang up everywhere shortly thereafter. Actually, AT&T also had 3-way divestiture in the 90's which also included a well known company called NCR. But that's another story.

Here's a good history article on AT&T's post divestiture:
http://www.corp.att.com/history/history4.html

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 11:53:59 PM »

If you buy static IP's they don't dare screw with you because they know that those with with static IPs have knowledge and will check the speed any time. DSL modem generally is fixed at one speed once the CO and CPE modems of your link are trained. They might be restricting you somewhere else besides the modem. But yeah they all lie like rugs and will go chinsel-cheeze on you the customer at any opportunity.  Keep in mind: "They are the phone (or whatever) company. They don't need you."

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 02:18:10 AM »

Here is what I find with most cable internet services..  They bandwidth limit you.

If you go to  speedtest.net and test your connection you will get accurate results for the first few tests.  Now go download a large file and test again right away.  The internet provider here cuts your bandwidth down right away.

For example.. I test around 12MB Down.. Super Fast. I pay for 10.  But if I download a large file of say a couple hundred MB, I test again, its 3MB and then down to 1MB.   If I wait about 4 hours, Its back up to 12MB.  I wonder if this is happening to DSL users also.  Its a BIG complaint for cable modem users that download lots of music, Movies, and or large files.

Clark
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 07:34:49 AM »

For example.. I test around 12MB Down.. Super Fast. I pay for 10.  But if I download a large file of say a couple hundred MB, I test again, its 3MB and then down to 1MB.   If I wait about 4 hours, Its back up to 12MB.  I wonder if this is happening to DSL users also.  Its a BIG complaint for cable modem users that download lots of music, Movies, and or large files.
Clark

A small family owned telephone company provide our service here and I have yet to detect this practice, but it is common.  A friend nearby with satellite measured what you describe  regulaly, especially when his kids played games.  Probably the only way one could prove your provider is doing speed reduction would be to sue them to reveal their practices.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 09:18:09 AM »

Here is what I find with most cable internet services..  They bandwidth limit you.

If you go to  speedtest.net and test your connection you will get accurate results for the first few tests.  Now go download a large file and test again right away.  The internet provider here cuts your bandwidth down right away.

Clark
THat is exactly what is happening. People brag about super speeds but that is definitely not the real stuff. "They" allow for short bursts of high speeds....not continuous.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 01:59:17 PM »

I've moved large data files around the internet and have run speedtest before and after, and never saw what you describe with my service.

Clark

Makes sense to me. If I was the provider and saw large chunks of bandwidth hogging happening often from a user, I'd slow you down too.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »

Verizon's FiOS package is probably the best deal and the fastest right now, but I can’t get it here because of crappy at&t’s presence.

http://www22.verizon.com/residential/fiosinternet/

It's still not clear to me. For landlines, AT&T provides long distance service. Who does your local/regional landline service? Or, are you talking about AT&T's Wireless services? FIOS has yet to appear anywhere in my area. Verizon is still pushing DSL (internet) and DirecTV  bundles around here.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 04:31:15 PM »

I periodically check my AT&T DSL download speed and it remains solid (what I'm buying) all the time. Every once in a while I suspected that maybe they were dicking with my speed for the reasons you suggest but for a few years now it has not changed.  Just checked it now and all is normal.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 05:22:54 PM »

It's still not clear to me. For landlines, AT&T provides long distance service. Who does your local/regional landline service? Or, are you talking about AT&T's Wireless services?

Our local landline service is at&t (formally PAC Bell). Verizon can’t do anything here in my area because of some stupid government regulation. Verizon has service further down south like in Morgan Hill and Gilroy which it out of PAC Bell's (now at&t's) service area.

If I could I would cancel my current DirectTV package along with the landline and DSL package a reset everything back up thru Verizon. Their FiOS network is faster than just about anything else on the market and their packages are cheaper too.

Ah, there's the answer  Tongue I had many data services dealings with them back in the "good old days". At times, finger nails scrapping the blackboard was more pleasant.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 09:59:52 AM »

If the providers are going to bandwidth limit you then it should reflect that on my bill.  If I pay for 10, I want 10.  Not 3. 

The burst mode is called Powerboost here.  It jumps to 25MB for the first 10 seconds or so.  Thats enough to watch any video clip, the news ect..  Without waiting.  Download a movie, Itunes album ect.. Then it knocks you down. 

Cable is da fastAR but yous b sharin da line in DA Hood wit da homies and dem mo fos at cox BE shuttin a fool down if in yous get outa line!

C
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 11:00:38 AM »

My minimum is 10mbps.  If you call they "reset" you and all the sudden I am back at 12 again.  I pay for the business class service because I run a business.  I move files ALL DAY long. 

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015