The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:02:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weird audio  (Read 19683 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: January 16, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »

We are watching the Colts-Ravins and there is a weird back ground noise on the audio. I've heard it before and my son has heard it on other events. Like an echo reverb buzz saw kind of sound.
anybody know what causes this effect?
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:32:49 PM »

It might be the telemetry data being picked up by the networks audio system. I heard this several times myself. I used to hear it when the harmonic brought his cell phone in beside the computer.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »

If it's a buzz that has a certain tempo, it could be the blasted cell phones. They RFI anything near them!!! And I found out that it's usually AT&T. The digital format they use. Amazing less than a watt and it gets into EVERYTHING!!
Someone in the B'cast booth must have a cell phone on.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 04:57:04 PM »

If it sounds like this then it must be a cell phone. Fred, this is an AT&T phone, so I knew this must be the sound you were talking about.
Shelby

* cellphonerfi.mp3 (174.31 KB - downloaded 286 times.)

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:32:24 PM »

I'm hearing it again on the Jet's game on CBS. I imagine thwere must be 25,000 cell phones going at the game.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »

Dats it Shelby
We hear it all the time on the two-way radio when 911 call centers get on the air.
I'm surprised in a b'cast setting that they can't find the source and get rid of it.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:22:54 PM »

It even shows up on Fox News.  I look around the room to see what's on my end and realize it's coming from someone in Somalia, or some such. Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:56:26 PM »

thank you FCC for digital TV

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 11:18:52 PM »

It has nothing to do with digital TV, rather digital cell phones.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 12:44:52 AM »

It's very aggravating at Church when it comes over the P.A.

AMI#1684
W3SLK

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 08:22:32 AM »

Steve said:

Bingo! What it might well be is the announcers having their cell phones in their lapel pockets next to their microphone pre-amp or monitor earbud where the noise finds its way back into the broadcast chain.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 02:27:02 PM »

Find where's it getting in and kill it!
W3SLK

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »

Brian said:
There is actually a name for this very problem and I'm still trying to remember what it is. It has to do with the cable line and the big screen TV’s of today. It’s like a ground loop issue with common mode combined, etc. There is in fact a name for it and it has nothing to do with cell phones.

I don't know what you were listening to. But what I heard during the NFL broadcast and what I believe Frank also heard is exactly in the .wav file that Shelby posted. This is the telemetry data that a cell phone sends out when it is 'talking' to a cell phone site. The stuff that CSI uses to pinpoint the whereabouts of the last time the phone was used. I know. My son has laid his cell phone right next to the computer and I heard it.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »

Yep. I heard it on analog TV too. It has nothing to do with digital TV, LED or plasma displays or any of the other silliness being posted here.

Steve said:

Bingo! What it might well be is the announcers having their cell phones in their lapel pockets next to their microphone pre-amp or monitor earbud where the noise finds its way back into the broadcast chain.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 03:39:02 PM »

We have a 1995 RCA in the living room. Nothing digital in there and it is hanging directly off the rip off coax to the Cable Co. If the problem was at my end I would have it on all channels all the time. I only notice it watching football games.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »

I guess I only need this filter during football games.
Again is is not a problem with my cable.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »

I give up.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 09:05:22 PM »

Find where's it getting in and kill it!

Thou Shalt Not Kill an interference in Church

I guess no one listened to Shelby's sound-byte. The rat ta ta ta sound IS from a nearby cell phone getting into the mic audio at the B'cast booth.
I have to continually go into my wife's purse, and trun off her AT&T cell phone. To stop the chatter into our TV/audio system. She usually lays her purse right by the table where all of the electronics is loacated. AND believe it or not I get her cell phone crap in my computer audio in my shack located right under her purse in the basement.

FRED

Fred KC4MOP
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 09:22:52 PM »

What it is is the cell phone signal being picked up by the audio stage of whatever device and being fed into the speaker. I made the recording by turning on my computer's speaker, sticking the computer's microphone up against the speaker, opening Audicity, hitting record, then turning on my phone(which rarely gets used, if i need to talk to someone i either send them a message on the computer or wait to tell them in person), which caused the interference in my speakers. I have heard it get into everything, mostly the audio output stages of radios and televisions and computer speakers, because the audio stages in them  must have high enough gains that they pick up the signal.
Shelby

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W3SLK

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 09:57:11 PM »

Fred said:
I guess no one listened to Shelby's sound-byte. The rat ta ta ta sound IS from a nearby cell phone getting into the mic audio at the B'cast booth.
I have to continually go into my wife's purse, and trun off her AT&T cell phone. To stop the chatter into our TV/audio system. She usually lays her purse right by the table where all of the electronics is loacated. AND believe it or not I get her cell phone crap in my computer audio in my shack located right under her purse in the basement.

Thank you Fred for vindicating what I have been saying all along. Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
W3SLK

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 09:14:24 AM »

Brian said:
What does that have to do with what was happening to his TV even if it sounded similar to what he was hearing?

I think I'm going to default to Slab Bacon's tag line.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »

Mikey. I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday...but then i'm just an EMI guy
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »

Something I have noticed for years on some FM broadcast stations is a gurgling sound in the background, kind of like a weak heterodyne beating against a SBE rig.  The tone seems to vary with the modulation.  It is not noticeable in the car due to road noises, etc, but clearly audible on my FM radio at home on a quiet evening when there are no distractions or background noise in the house.  It is not the radio because I have heard it on different receivers.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »

You asked everyone in America? Clearly everyone in America wasn't watching so your point is as groundless as the rest of your posts.

The point is that if it were cell phones getting into the sports announcers mics and etc, then everyone in America would have heard it. That didn't happen. So.., there are only two other possibilities. Either someone in his house was on a cell phone close to the TV or it’s similar to what I was describing.

73's
Ian VK3KRI
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »

The problem is nothing has been vindicated or proven. Just because someone takes a cell phone and puts it close to a recording device or computer and makes a recording does not prove anything.

What does that have to do with what was happening to his TV even if it sounded similar to what he was hearing?

Clearly it's aliens piggybacking on the TV signal, and its disguised as mobile phone interference.  I mean there's no way it could possibly be what it sounds like....

On a less sarcastic note, in VK, GSM was the dominant mobile phone technology for some years and that that sound came out of all sorts of audio stuff when in proximity to a GSM phone. On occasion I have heard it on air, but only when doing outside interviews.  I would assume because at the time ALL vk mobiles would produce this interference, either crap gear go weeded out quick, or every one on air or close got told to turn off their phones.

Now I think about it I've even heard it on the ham bands,

Ian VK3KRI

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015