The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:31:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noob Ranger Question 2  (Read 1803 times)
W3UTD
« on: January 15, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »

Looking at the Audio Gain control, R21

C52 which goes to Pin 1 of the 12AX7 is in the parts list as 500mmf 500V Molded Mica

The one I have has had a .01 600VDC cap paralleled across it, making it ... 1500mmf?

Why? and should I revert to the original value?
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »

Where T = RC,  or time constant (seconds) = resistance (ohms)*capacitance(farads) for a simple roll off network,

and,  Frequency of a simple 2 component high pass network, F= 1/(2pi*R*C),

Your 1500 pf (or mmf) capacitor will pass frequencies roughly three times lower than the original 500 mmf one.  The coupling capacitor feeding the stage grid resistor acts as a low pass network in the first order yielding about -20db(volts)/decade or -6dbv/octave of freq.  The roll off point (the knee) is where the signal is cut in half, -3dbV.  Other stuff affects rolloff such as previous stage's plate load resistor, the tube characteristics, etc. but the effect is dominated by this simple network between stages.

Do the math with 500pf into 1 megohm vs. 1500 pf into 1 megohm, which is the input circuit of the Johnson 12AX7's second triode.  
You'll also notice a 200mmf cap. (C53) across the volume control if it hasn't already been cut out.  That capacitor reduces the higher audio frequencies into the next stage.

Johnson restricted the audio passband of the Ranger in an attempt to imitate the communication quality of the "serious" ham using a carbon button microphone, very close to what you'd hear on an older telephone instead of any sort of hi-fi.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3UTD
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »

C53 has been cut out.  I guess I'll leave what's there then since it sounds like a decent modification to have.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015