The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:27:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALMOST  (Read 3293 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: January 13, 2010, 10:16:31 AM »

Hello All
Due to a minor problem of the transmission line laying on the tuner coil and arcing AND 75M going south I had to give up on my attempt to join a nice QSO with K1KBW and KC3UFU and there were others joining and leaving and going to listening mode.
After the "concert" was over from the music station.............didn't sound impressive....there were a lot of folks on board last night. The busy highway made it a challenge even using a modern SDR.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:18:04 PM »

I hope you can fix that. Since I returned from my little vacation, I find my listening amp is not working on the R-390, so i have not been able to enjoy the AM stuff at all.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »

With the deposit of the correct amount to my Swiss account,
that can be arranged......

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:26:30 PM »

I hope you can fix that. Since I returned from my little vacation, I find my listening amp is not working on the R-390, so i have not been able to enjoy the AM stuff at all.

Most of my radio malfunctions, 99% of which turn out to be intermittent, first develop between the time I turn the equipment off one day and the next time I turn it back on.

Everything can be working perfectly.  Then I shut down.  The next day when I try to fire up again, I have multiple malfunctions with problems that are totally unrelated to each other.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »

Everything can be working perfectly.  Then I shut down.  The next day when I try to fire up again, I have multiple malfunctions with problems that are totally unrelated to each other.

Virgil Grommet does those things while you are not there.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 05:43:29 PM »

Just think of the problems if you used wire wraps instead of solder - like those old computers of yesteryear.   Shocked

"Well it worked fine the last time it was on."   (Famous words of consumers - and critical info to give the repair tech)

I think connections, PC boards, connectors, etc.,  go intermittent from the temperature generated expansion and contraction of the metal around them.  (Especially rigs with big power, heat and all that schtuff.)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 08:52:44 PM »

Wire wrap is pretty good if done correctly. I remember years ago the F15 mission computer motherboard was wire wrapped. I think IBM made it. We are in a redesign of a system that had a wire wrap back plane. I have never seen a wire wrap connection fail if done correctly with a midified wrap.
The logic of today is just too fast for it.
Biggest failure mode I have seen in recent years is tantalum caps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015