The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:39:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Xmtr Rally - the ball is in play  (Read 21101 times)
WA3VJB
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »

OK, I've posted in the ANNOUNCEMENTS section the introductory text about the event.

Please consider adding, here, any feedback and also your individual effort to get the word out.

It may be convenient to simply block-copy the text when you send it to email reflectors, other websites, magazines, various clubs, etc.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=22547.0
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:56:23 AM »

Hey Paul,
-thought I'd answer so you didn't fly blind.  Grin

Should be a fun (no hard sell) contest.

R.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:58:38 AM »

Just a "heads up"...

I applied for a special 1X1 call a few weeks ago for the Heavy Metal Rally. I thought it got denied cuz I applied at the last minute and never saw an email confirming the request from W5YI.  So, I never used it on the air.

I just applied for the AM Transmitter Rally and happened to look up the history of the call and see I was issued it a few weeks ago... darn.   They discourage using it more than once a year, but I sent in an email explaining the situation. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, my point is to check the website search for your request if you don't receive a notification - it may already have been issued to you.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:29:54 PM »

Terry,

They're normally good for 15 days unless specially requested for longer.  I would suggest getting it issued for 1 week before the event to give you some playing time.

Here's the full details and rules:

http://www.1x1callsigns.org/

Looking at the xtal ball, W2P is in your future, OM.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:37:56 PM »

Among the processors, Win Guin is the best.

I have applied maybe a half dozen times the past few years, and each time I got the reservation within a few days.

Avoid the Laurel group.  Their people don't understand the 1x1 criteria and several people on here were initially denied their applications ahead of an AM event -- I think it was the Band Warming Party.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »

ok you munkys - I have applied for K8A  for usage during the rally. I wanted a 8 call as I am contemplating getting a permanent '8' call this year and wanted to test it out.

So look for K8A during the corntest! I should be in your earhole all night and day!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »

Sounds good Derb. I've had a lot of fun with W8R too.
Allows us to vicarioulsy live in good ol' WVa.

None of that fake '3' T-rash for us'ns.

"Take me home, country roads...
   To the place where I belong,
West Virginia, Mountain Momma,
   Take me home, country roads."

RICK  *W3RSW*
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »

Among the processors, Win Guin is the best.

I have applied maybe a half dozen times the past few years, and each time I got the reservation within a few days.

Avoid the Laurel group.  Their people don't understand the 1x1 criteria and several people on here were initially denied their applications ahead of an AM event -- I think it was the Band Warming Party.

Yes, I requested W9T again and mistakenly sent it to the W4 VEC,  I haven't gotten a response yet.  I had previously sent it to Win and he responded within a couple of hours.  Well, anyway...got some time yet, so not too worried.  The 1X1 calls are fun and always spark interest.  Ya need to brew up some special QSLs with ur 1X1 on them too!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »

I applied for W1E yesterday, and got a phone call from the ARRL about it today.  Apparently, a LOT of people (according to the fellow I talked with) are applying for these calls for the A.M.T.R.   Smiley

He did not sound particularly pleased about the whole thing, either.  Wanted to know the exact dates of the A.M.T.R., etc. which I told him, etc.  Things softened up quite a bit as the conversation continued, but we are definitely getting some attention !

However, folks who applied for special event calls for many days after the event may not get them for the whole time requested... at least that was the sense I got from the conversation.  Thought I'd relay what I know....FWIW

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »

He did not sound particularly pleased about the whole thing, either.  Wanted to know the exact dates of the A.M.T.R., etc. which I told him, etc.  

Typical frickin  bureaucratic power-hungry attitude. Who the heck is he to give us a hard time about calls? He lives off hams to begin with. Screw him - use the other services.

T

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 11:24:45 PM »

Well,

Contests are not usually considered to be a "special event".

So I'm not suprised.

This is what the ARRL says about it.
( haven't looked for FCC's opinion yet)

===============

"1x1 Special Event Call Sign Assignment Criteria:

The intention of the Amateur Radio 1x1 Call Sign system is to provide a special call sign for a special event operation which usually commemorates an event which is publicly significant (ideally, this is a one time, non-recurring celebration, festival, anniversary, holiday, convention, dedication, public demonstration and the like).

While the 1x1 Call Sign system in not intended for the exclusive ability to have a short call sign during an upcoming amateur radio operating event or contest, should such an operating event or contest timeframe fall within the same timeframe of an event which has been coordinated with a purpose as outlined above, the special event 1x1 call sign can certainly be used for any Amateur Radio operating purpose during the coordinated time period.

The 1x1 call sign being sought will only be needed for 15 days, or less (unless a persuasive showing is made that the event timeframe is so extraordinary that exceeding the 15-day call sign assignment period is appropriate). "

((then on another ARRL page...))

"The FCC says that special event 1x1 call signs are authorized for use "in conjunction with an event of special significance." This suggests an event with high public visibility, as opposed to a routine ham radio contest or other operating event. However, a special event call sign could be used in conjunction with a contest if one were to occur within the call sign reservation period.

The five special event call sign coordinators have the authority to determine if a request is in keeping with the intent of the special event call sign system. Any licensed amateur may request a special event call sign.
"

K9ACT
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 11:47:43 PM »

OK, I've posted in the ANNOUNCEMENTS section the introductory text about the event.

Please consider adding to that location any feedback and also your individual effort to get the word out.

I gave up trying to figure out how to do that so I will do it here.

I will be making daily announcements on the Noon Time Forum about the rally and referring listeners to the link to the .pdf  on our NTF Yahoo group and on the air.

Jack K9ACT Noon Time Forum 3870

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »

Apparently, a LOT of people (according to the fellow I talked with) are applying for these calls for the A.M.T.R.   Smiley

4 calls in the database so far:

( http://www.1x1callsigns.org )

K8A February 6, 2010 February 6, 2010 The AM Transmitter Rally details
K7K February 6, 2010 February 7, 2010 AM Transmitter Rally details
K3V February 5, 2010 February 8, 2010 AM Transmitter Rally details
W3R February 5, 2010 February 8, 2010 AM Transmitter Rally details

WA3VJB
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 05:06:35 AM »

Amateur Radio Newsline, an audio service, will be preparing a story about the AM Transmitter Rally.

Publisher Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, indicates he plans to use some off-the-air recordings of AMers to demonstrate good signals, good sound and good conversation.

Can't get much more compelling than that, eh ?

http://www.arnewsline.org/index.php?option=content&task=section&id=2&Itemid=26

AR Newsline runs on many, many repeaters across the country, and is part of the material that airs on the AM "gateway" station WAØRCR.
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »

Did you apply through the ARRL, or how did they come into the picture?

I applied for W1E yesterday, and got a phone call from the ARRL about it today.  Apparently, a LOT of people (according to the fellow I talked with) are applying for these calls for the A.M.T.R.   Smiley

You may wish to instruct your League contact as to the language the FCC uses, and that your man should avoid the interpretation the people in Newington have given it.

The regulations that apply to Special Event Call Sign System are found in Parts 0 and 97 of Chapter I of Title 47 of the code of Federal Regulations which have been amended as follows:

From: Part 97  Amateur Radio Service Section 97.3(a)(11)(iii)  :
        (iii) Special event call sign system. The call sign is selected by the station licensee from a list of call signs shown on a common data base coordinated, maintained and disseminated by the amateur station special event call sign data base coordinators.

The call sign must have the single letter prefix K, N or W, followed by a single numeral 0 through 9, followed by a single letter A through W or Y or Z (for example K1A).

The special event call sign is substituted for the call sign shown on the station license grant while the station is transmitting. The FCC will issue public announcements detailing the procedures of the special event call sign system.

Section 97.119 (d) is amended to read as follows:

(d) When transmitting in conjunction with an event of special significance, a station may substitute for its assigned call sign a special event call sign as shown for that station for that period of time on the common data base coordinated, maintained and disseminated by the special event call sign data base coordinators. Additionally, the station must transmit its assigned call sign at least once per hour during such transmissions.

(source: http://www.1x1callsigns.org, a non-ARRL clearinghouse for Special Event Callsigns)

------
The definition of "special significance," as with most of the regulatory structure of the Amateur Service, is left to the active, concerned licensees utilizing the call signs.
K9ACT
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 08:43:35 AM »

One other thing I did was to add the below bit of code to the top of my QRZ page.  When talking to people, I can just send them there for details instead of having to spell out the url or read all the details.

In the edit bio window, click on advanced>html and paste this at the top, then save

<p><strong><a href="http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.pdf">AM RALLY INFO</a></strong></p>

Jack
WA3VJB
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »

QRZ.com has posted it.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=232138
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »

Steve, QIX, also posted it as a separate topic in  QRZ's Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events but it's in HTML form. The announcement is hard to follow and doesn't look good. He should have just attached the PDF, http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.pdf

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA3VJB
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »

Those interested and capable of a Dog X-Ray AM contact, please reply and coordinate with this gentleman.

Delete the double-dashes in the email addy to reply.

TOM, could you reach across to HENK and those guys to coordinate some action too ??

> From: --mhcalzadilla@incoingenieros.com
> Subject: AM Transmitter Rally Contest

> Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
>
> Para:                                         
> --WA3VJB@yahoo.com
> Asunto:                                   
> AM Transmitter
> Rally Contest
>   
> Hi
> Paul,
> My name is
> Miguel and I am very fond of AM activity. Unfortunatly in
> Europe is quite low but nevertheless we still enthusiastic
> with this old mode. 
> I wonder
> if we can schedule a QSO during the AM Transmitter rally
> Contest 6/7 Feb 2010. I can work with  High power using my Old Collins V
> series( V1,V2,V3) driving a 3CX3000 at 3500 watts into a
> Four elements Monoband yagui in 40 mts 95 feet high. I also
> can work out with a 500 Viking and some others old stuff
> like Viking valiant, Heath 100, Apache, etc… they are
> sweeted by matching receivers of that years including SX-88.
> I think with the power we can compensate partially the
> current bad conditions. Awaiting your comments
> 73,s
> Miguel
> EA8IT
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »

TOM, could you reach across to HENK and those guys to coordinate some action too ??

Paul,

I'll get with Steve/HUZ and see if we can get Jaakko from Finland and some others lined up for the event. Probably the best way is to schedule several times when we will listen to various frequencies for AM. The last time we did, split operation worked very well, (3885 > 3766) Personally, none of my 75M DX arrays work below about 3750 - they will work 3750 to 4000 khz however, so 3705, etc is not good for me simplex for Eu. I can listen below 3750 with the beverages, but cannot transmit except on the low dipole.   On 40M I can go anywhere with good gain.

Probably skeds on both 75M and 40M can be set up for AM.  We'll post something when confirmed. We might as well make a big splash working Euro AM.  In fact, we should set these skeds up and then publicize it in Europe too. I'll bet Jaakko already has a network set up there from the way he talked. Maybe we could have lots of action throughout the event.

T

WA3VJB
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »

Announcement also sent to SAMRC (Southeastern AM Radio Club) email reflector.

Has anyone gotten it to Ray at Electric Radio ?

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »

Steve, QIX, also posted it as a separate topic in  QRZ's Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events but it's in HTML form. The announcement is hard to follow and doesn't look good. He should have just attached the PDF, http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.pdf

The QRZ board software destroyed the original formatting, and I was unable to see it until the moderator approved the post (which took place much later!).  So, I spent about an hour using "board markup language" (which is very limited) to change the post to this:
(see the next post)

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 08:39:08 AM »

Announcing the 2010

Amplitude Modulation Transmitter Rally
    Contest and Operating Event

On the HF Amateur Bands (160 meters to 10 meters)

Saturday, February 6, 2010
    6:00 AM E.S.T. to 2:00AM E.S.T. the following day.

Sponsored by:

AMfone.net http://www.amfone.netYour definitive source for everything related to AM.

Radio Engineering Associates http://www.radioassociates.com Equipment and services for the professional and radio amateur.

The purpose of this event is to encourage the use of Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands, and to highlight various types of AM equipment in use today.

This event is open to any and all radio amateurs who are running full carrier amplitude modulation (standard AM), and any type of equipment may be used.

Commonly used AM Frequencies: 160 Meters: 1880-1885, 1930, 1945, 1975-1995. 80 Meters: 3730-3740, 3870-3885. 40 Meters: 7160, 7280-7295. 20 Meters: 14286. 15 Meters: 21425    10 Meters: 29000-29200.

These commonly used frequencies can be good starting points. As activity grows, expand to other frequencies to prevent congestion and excessively large round tables. As always, PLEASE be considerate of existing QSOs and Nets, and ensure that the frequency is clear before calling "CQ, the A.M. Transmitter Rally".

Points are to be awarded as follows:

a) 1 point for each station worked a specific band. If you work the same station on more than one band, you
    get 1 point for each band.

b) 1 point for each state, country or Canadian Province worked.

Note: Both you and the station with whom you are QSOing must be using AM.

Logging

The following information must be included in your log for each contact to be counted:

Time (local), Frequency, Call Sign, First Name, Their Location (state is OK), Their Equipment

Log Format: Each item should appear in a separate column, one line per contact.

Template logs are here: http://www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.xls (Excel)
    http://www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.csv (CSV)

Please let us know about anything unusual or unique you hear and / or any nominations for stations in "unusual" categories or with unusual or unique characteristics.

A description of your station equipment, power and any other interesting features should also be included as part of your submission along with your mailing and email addresses. Pictures (in electronic form if available) are also encouraged!

Whenever possible, please use electronic submission of logs using Excel or CSV (comma separated values) (preferred) formats. Email logs to: mailto:amtr@radioassociates.com

If you do not own, or cannot use a computer, paper logs may be mailed (only if you can't do it any other way) to:
    Radio Engineering Associates
    AMTR Logging
    79 Tyler Road
    Townsend, MA 01469

Awards and Prizes will be given for the following areas:[LIST=1]
    • Overall highest points: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place
    • Highest points in each of the following categories for stations as follows:
    • Using a classic commercial AM Amateur transmitter (such as a KW1, Desk KW, Collins 32V3, DX-100, etc.)
    • Using a converted AM Broadcast Transmitter.
    • Using a military transmitter.
    • Using a home built vacuum tube transmitter (vacuum tubes in the RF amplifier and modulator).
    • Using a home built solid state transmitter.
    • Using a low level transmitter and linear amplifier.
    • Using anything not covered by the above.
    Note: Special recognition will be given to stations that show up in many other folks' logs, even if these operators did not send in a log themselves. This is to recognize the spirit and importance of operating during the event, even if one is not actively participating in the "contest".

In addition to point awards, other awards will be issued on an ad-hoc basis, depending on the specific situation. Examples of these are:
    • Very unusual or unique equipment
    • Most clip leads in the transmitter
    • Most hum or incidental FM
    • Longest transmission heard
    • Highest weight to power ratio
    • Etc, etc, etc.

WA3VJB
    « Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »

Go add 15 meters Steve if not too much trouble.

steve_qix
    Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 10:29:41 AM »

Go add 15 meters Steve if not too much trouble.

Done !   Cool

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
     AMfone © 2001-2015