The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All that work gone..........  (Read 4869 times)
KC2IFR
« on: January 10, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »

The C drive on my puter started to die so I decided to replace it. My old drive was an IDE drive and my new one is a SATA drive. I also have another HD on my puter which is where I stored all my audio and picture files. Being stupid and having never backed up anything.......I decided to clone my C drive to my F drive (the other HD). I did this because I did not have all the wires to connect my SATA drive when I bought it. I needed a special power adapter and had to order it online. In the mean time my C drive was getting worse so I decided to clone it to my F drive in-case it failed completely before the parts got here.
Well........as I found out, when u clone one drive to another......the backup drive will be reformatted and all data will be lost.
So...........if any of u have to do the same thing........keep that in mind!!!!!

All those recording I made of u guys and all my digital pictures are GONE.

Stupid me. Cry
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »

Bill,
Ouch, Big Bummer.

You should have simply copied all the files over to the F drive rather than partition it and format it, if that's what you did.  You could have simply created a folder on the F drive and copied all files from the flaky C drive right to the F drive and later pick out the files you wanted to save for later and move them to the new drive once it was built.

If you simply formatted the drive, it may be possible to recover some files.

I know the pain you feel!  Been there and done that.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KA2PYQ
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:56:09 PM »

Borrow an empty hard drive and use it instead for now. Take the erased drive and have it "debugged" by a technical friend. If any of the original recordings stick out further than the new recordings they might be rescue-able. Other than that, Bummmmmer! Guess you`ll have to make everyone say and do everything all over again. Also see if you can rescue some stuff online on residue- prone websearchers like, "Dogpile".
KC2IFR
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »

A friend of mine is sending me a "rescue disk".  Maybe this will help.

KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:58:43 PM »

Bad news Bill.
A quick search of the web shows several programs that are said to recover data from a re-formatted drive even if you installed Windows onto the drive after the format. I have no experience with this.
I hope that you can get the data back!

Bill

Bill KA8WTK
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 02:07:09 AM »

The data is still there.. Just get one of the recover programs.. Run it, It will show ALL data on Drive. You can copy the data right over.
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 05:31:52 AM »

I've used a couple of free undeleters, Bill. You tell it what drive to survey and then to search for the file-type suffix (*txt, *doc, *jpg, *wav, etc.)

Description: Unintended data loss is the most frustrating aspect of computer use. The cost of services and commercial do-it-yourself software add to the suffering although many are effective. Luckily a number of generous companies and souls who have written free apps. for file, disk and password restoration.

http://groups.google.com/group/datarecoveryfreeware?hl=en
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »

The data is still there.. Just get one of the recover programs.. Run it, It will show ALL data on Drive. You can copy the data right over.

You’re partly right.  It might be possible to recover some  files.  Unless part of Bill's cloning exercise was to “wipe” old info off (that is an option on some cloning programs) the HD the data is still there.  Bill: I’d check with someone who does this for a living or a serious “compuker” type and see what you best approach would be.  It is very important that you NOT do any more accessing or work on that HD or the OS will continue to over-write that data.

GL, Al
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »

Call Rose Mary Woods.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »

I have 10 engineering degrees in IT. The data is still there. Its a simple proccess and the program can be run in windows.

C
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:32 PM »

" Call Rose Mary Woods. "

The Twister sales girl???

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands